• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where is the WCML?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdlover777

Hello all, its me again, i'm here to ask the most stupid question.

Where is the WCML on this map?
VQK1EAO.png

feel free to download the image and circle where the WCML appears.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Although there has never been such an Act of Parliament for the construction of the West Coast Main Line (it being a colloquial term to describe the network of various railways that make up the route from London Euston to Inverness, Glasgow Central, Edinburgh Waverley, etc), the bits you are looking for at Carlisle Citadel are the Caledonian Railway (the bit marked 'to Scotland"), and the Lancaster & Carlisle Railway (the bit that is marked "to Upperby").

Hope that helps.

rdlover777

Although there has never been such an Act of Parliament for the construction of the West Coast Main Line (it being a colloquial term to describe the network of various railways that make up the route from London Euston to Inverness, Glasgow Central, Edinburgh Waverley, etc), the bits you are looking for at Carlisle Citadel are the Caledonian Railway (the bit marked 'to Scotland"), and the Lancaster & Carlisle Railway (the bit that is marked "to Upperby").

Hope that helps.

thanks, i was thinking Upperby but i thought i'd ask here to see if i was correct or not

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Strictly, I believe the top-right "To Scotland" tracks in the diagram are the start of the North British (Waverley) route to Edinburgh.
The middle pair are Caledonian and join the WCML further north.
All different today of course , and much reduced.

Harbornite

Established Member

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
No where on that map.
The West Coast Mainline runs from London to Fleetwood, the Carlisle connection came later.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
It's a silly name anyway. The west coast is only visible from the WCML for a short distance around Hest Bank and probably also around Kingmoor if you squint a bit. The sections where it's even the nearest railway line to the west coast aren't much more than that. And the ECML tag is only slightly more appropriate.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
It's a silly name anyway. The west coast is only visible from the WCML for a short distance around Hest Bank and probably also around Kingmoor if you squint a bit. The sections where it's even the nearest railway line to the west coast aren't much more than that. And the ECML tag is only slightly more appropriate.

On a good day, you do get a long-distance sweeping view of Solway Firth from a point on the WCML south of Lockerbie, including the "back side" of Skiddaw/Blencathra in the Lake District.
Over the Acton Grange viaduct at Warrington you can also be persuaded that the sea is not far away, though the near view is of the Manchester Ship Canal/River Mersey and the Runcorn-Widnes bridges.
You can also see the crest of the Clwyd hills in Wales from there too, and also from near Madeley south of Crewe as the line descends into Cheshire.
It should also be possible to see Blackpool Tower between Preston and Lancaster, although I haven't managed that yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.