• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veteran Member
My Marlborough suggestion received erroneous praise.
Bravo dubscottie.
What is interesting is that the original picture showed what seemed to be a rural location whereas if the camera had been turned 180 degrees it would have shown a completely industrial scene.
Not untypical of northern England though.

Though (rather OT) it doesnt compare with finding a steelworks and industrial remains in remotr mountainous parts of Slovakia...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
As promised, this morning I went for a walk at this location. Everywhere I went was legally accessible from a number of public footpaths, bridleways and roads.

The first thing I would say is that this area is actually very rural in character and is predominantly farmland. 70 years ago there was a coal mine, yes, but that was it, there is nothing else apart from a few old houses. It would have fed industry further along the railway, but to say it would have been an industrial area itself is a vast overstatement. After mining, the only other employment available to people locally 70 years ago would have been in agriculture or cottage industry.

2rclh0j.jpg

As you can see the railway line is raised above the road. The station and platforms were up the embankment between the roadsign and the road bridge. There is not really anything left to suggest there was ever a station here. Direct access to the old station site is no longer possible and trees obscure all views.

Below are a couple of shots of the local garage. Apparently these buildings were originally part of the mine (any thoughts on that?).

2572ix3.jpg

nb8xh5.jpg

The word 'Power' is still faded on the side of the original building- is that a clue to it's heritage?

I did find this between the garage and the railway line:

2mnipdu.jpg

I then went for a bit more of a walk to see if I could get any better views. The legacy of the old coalmine is still evident in the landscape. Just off the trans-pennine trail is a sealed-off shaft entrance:

b8s2zd.jpg

The station was raised at line level just to the left of the houses in this photo:

2z3yuzp.jpg

I then climbed just off a footpath towards the tunnel entrance to get a photo of where the station once sat:

dvrol0.jpg

And again, but this time featuring a Northern 158:

2qu6hc4.jpg

These photos were all taken on my crappy Iphone5 that needs replacing, so I'm sorry that they aren't the best!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks for sharing that Iskra. Very interesting.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
As above. You obviously went to a lot of trouble to get those shots and very interesting they are, that old 2 axle 45 Ton tank wagon was a real find in itself and its a few years since I've seen that once common BRT logo. I presume it was minus all its running gear as it's difficult to tell from the picture?

Iskra

Established Member
You are welcome, it was a nice little walk. Yes, it was without its running gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.