• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where is your Avatar from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GNER 373

Mine is from a Google Search which came up with (now) one of my favourite Railway photography sites! I ended up emailing the author who told me all about his time driving these beauties!!! Brilliant

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

43021HST

Established Member
I took the picture on my phone and then one day my brother was mucking around with my pictures on my phone, disappointed that there was no 'Gentlemens art' on their so he decided to stick some flowers around a Cig, I liked it so I kept it and put it as my Avatar.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Mine is from a Google Search which came up with (now) one of my favourite Railway photography sites! I ended up emailing the author who told me all about his time driving these beauties!!! Brilliant

If you look at photos of the eurostars at just the right angles, it looks like one of those fish that sucks stuff off the seabed

Established Member
Mine is a downloaded Network South East Logo. Brings back happy memories, unlike now! But that is progress.

Established Member
After flirting with a few different avatars (including some ducks!) I have finally settled on a picture of the real 33056 at Clapham Junction in 1979.

Despite being tempted to change it from time to time, I have kept it but could consider a change when another photo of said loco passes through the scanner.

kentuckytony

Mine is just me hoofing up into the cab of an EMD E-8 loco built in 1951.
Can run at 110 mph with 2 V12 engines - total 2245 horsepower.
Picture taken in northern Kentucky (where I live) in July 2010 by my brother.

I am more of an electric traction guy, but we ain't got any of that around my area. :(

My signature picture was just off of a 2010 cat calender that I thought was nice - what with the Bobby hat and all.
Being owned by 10 cats, I was forced to put this out there.:roll:

[My favorites so far are the EM2 27000 Electra and the Blue Pullman avatars.]

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Well, since you ask:

Mine is a Southern Region class 415 EPB (Electro Pneumatic Braking) Unit snapped by myself (on a cheap family camera - sorry about the fuzzy quality) at Grove Park on a visit around the London suburbs during my mid teens.

I thought I'd choose one of these lovely beasties going about their everyday business in full Network SouthEast pomp because they've not been out and about on the main line for a while and it's nice to remember them in their natural habitat.

TheWalrus

Established Member
went to bedwyn in the snow and took a pic of a hst. theres my story!

flymo

Established Member
Mine is a Virgin 47 departing Paignton for Manchester, taken from the overbridge at Paignton level crossing. This was actually a still taken from a video I took of the train departing. I think it was about 1998.

Drimnagh Road

57307 arriving into Bangor on 25th July 2009, having to travel across the Irish Sea to get GM645 haulage since the end of 071 hauled passenger trains earlier that year.

At_traction

I'll give you three guesses as to what mine is...
[...]
I have a feeling that it's got another use somewhere. I don't know why...

You're right and undoubtedly referring to a cheekily slanted Greek flag (or a portion of it)...

Mine's a placard somewhere in the rural(ish) Shildon, attached to possibly the only train (or a traction unit of one) to have ever featured as a cut-away drawing in the Flight International mag.

A peaceful place. Shildon, that is. And a nice non-glossed, ie. shabby, Pacer rail-bus ride in a pre-Beeching-isque branch spirit. Jointed tracks and all that. What's the hurry etc.

Established Member
Hey, 4SRKT, since you've hinted at a certain upcoming event in a couple of other posts, shouldn't your avatar be changing in a few weeks to a Whistler...

Might be changing to something of the 14x variety on the 14th...

TGV

Mine was a pic of the then fastest train in the world - the TGV Atlantique that managed 515km/h in 1990 - which I found somewhere on the interwebnet. I think it was a bit of SNCF propoganda.

WestCoast

Established Member
Mine is the front of an ICE International train (my all time favourite unit) at Utrecht Centraal, heading for Frankfurt, taken October last year. This set is actually owned by NS (Dutch railways) rather than Deutsche Bahn (German Railways).

Can't wait to see Siemens Velaros (ICEs) crossing the Channel Tunnel for Eurostar and Deutsche Bahn.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Mine is a picture of the symbol identifying most popular railway in Britain, and one of the world's most recognised brands. Taken by me, outside Canary Wharf station, a few days before Shoreditch station closed. You can see One Canada Square in the background.

Established Member
Mine was took at 6am in Morn the whilst utterly kankered. :(

Used to hate earlies.

Last edited:

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
This was taken on an old mobile phone camera a few years ago. Its the view from the terrace of the 'Orocco' Cafe-Bar on the High Street of South Queensferry where I used to enjoy a leisurely breakfast very much. (nearest station is Dalmeny).

Excellent coffee, decent range of good food and left in peace while the trains rumbled over the bridge. Sadly the cafe has adopted a whole set of rules and policies which the staff enjoy enforcing - the terrace is often 'closed', the food is 'just what's on the menu' and the staff are pre-occupied with duties. But it was great while it lasted!

Ivo

Established Member
The "Miscellaneous" List on the UCP :)

Chosen because (a) it's local and (b) the bus no longer runs the route in question, because it has changed depot.

j0hn0

Mine is a picture taken shortly after a 60mph crash backwards into the wall at the Nuerburgring Nordschleife in Germany.

My friend was the driver (on the left) and the official is working out just how much its gonna cost.

Total was.......for a written off honda s2000.........10,000 euros!!!!

I am still paying for this :(

At_traction

Mine is a picture taken shortly after a 60mph crash backwards into the wall at the Nuerburgring Nordschleife in Germany.

So it was Die Grüne Hölle, I thought so much... Which curve...? ;)

It wasn't this one...? ;)

A scenic place nevertheless. There was a bad-looking motorcycle accident down at the Breidscheid just some time earlier as I started the climb towards Kallenhard. Sobering stuff.

Total was.......for a written off honda s2000.........10,000 euros!!!!

Payment for what? For track removal, to the insurance company (if it was written off, shouldn't they pay), for repair? Otherwise 10,000 € would be a bargain for that...

starrymarkb

Established Member

A scenic place nevertheless. There was a bad-looking motorcycle accident down at the Breidscheid just some time earlier as I started the climb towards Kallenhard. Sobering stuff.

Payment for what? For track removal, to the insurance company (if it was written off, shouldn't they pay), for repair? Otherwise 10,000 € would be a bargain for that...

Most insurance policies have a specific exclusion for 'derestricted toll roads' in Germany - refering to the Ring....

Drsatan

Established Member
Mine is the Solent Link route branding used by NetworkSouthEast. I chose it because I used to live in Portsmouth and I sometimes experience nostalgic longings for NSE.

43021HST

Established Member
Mine is a Virgin 47 departing Paignton for Manchester, taken from the overbridge at Paignton level crossing. This was actually a still taken from a video I took of the train departing. I think it was about 1998.

The days before the plastic crap took over (Voyagers)

I have now changed mine from a floral Cig to a Cock, very appropriate

j0hn0

The curve just before Bruennchen, where you cut the corner, drop right down, then back up and a blind right-hander over a crest.

My mate lost the back end, caught it and lost it again as we went over the crest. Tough corner, but he was going way too fast :(

With regards to insurance, it covered barrier repair, closing of the track, tow truck for the car, ambulance for me, but whatever damage we did to the car, we had to pay for that. I pay 2 grand, my other mate who wasnt even in the car pays 2 grand and the driver pays 6 grand, ouch :)

The guy had been driving for years, this was his first ever crash in a car and it was on the Nordschleife, so fair play :D

Status
Not open for further replies.