where to buy a British Train Driver Rucksack?

Discussion in 'Modelling, Memorabilia & Publications' started by SpDr60, 4 Jun 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpDr60

SpDr60 Member

Hi,

I spent right now my Holidays in Britain and have a German Train Driver Rucksack. Is it possible to buy offically a British Train Driver Rucksack or is this forbidden due to Security Reasons? If it is possible,where can I buy one??

2. FordFocus

FordFocus Member

3. SpDr60

SpDr60 Member

I'm looking for the New hi-vis one. I would prefer XC or ATW, but every other Company would be also ok.

4. Jamesb1974

Jamesb1974 Member

Deleted

Last edited: 8 Aug 2016
  5. QueensCurve

QueensCurve Established Member

Guten Abend Herr Lokomotive F├╝hrer.

In English, I am not even sure such a thing exists. I don't think train driving has the same status here as it does in Germany or Switzerland. Reasonably well paid now, but not seen as a high status occupation in the same way.

6. 455driver

455driver Veteran Member

Our company issued bag are plain, they don't have any sort of company name/logo at all.

7. CC 72100

CC 72100 Established Member

I'm yet to see branded drivers bags (the orange hi-viz one), although a guard was using a Wessex Trains rucksack the other day. I can only guess that they don't make them like they used to! :lol:

8. Mutant Lemming

Mutant Lemming Established Member

Any current issue items remain the property of the company and unauthorised possession would be considered as theft.

9. Minilad

Minilad Established Member

I am a driver for XC. Our bags are not branded in any way

10. theageofthetra

theageofthetra Established Member

The Southeastern ones are branded. Come to think of it all of the uniform issued must have a corporate logo (often very small) otherwise it would be taxable to the recipient as a benefit in kind.

11. D6975

D6975 Established Member

There was a company at Warley selling this sort of stuff. Not company issue, but items with the various company logos on them. Presumably they have obtained permission to produce such goods.

12. Galvanize

Galvanize Member

That'll be Bufferbeam Ltd. Popular supplier of BR era logos, depot stickers and mascots applied to T-shirts, rucksacks, travel mugs etc. The stall often appears at many diesel galas up and down the UK, and I believe they also supply personalised gear to preserved loco groups etc.

http://bufferbeamltd.com/

13. Ploughman

Ploughman Established Member

Try ARCO amongst a number of other suppliers.

14. DownSouth

DownSouth Established Member

Surely that wouldn't apply if it remained the property of the company, and was theoretically to be returned upon leaving?

15. sarahj

sarahj Established Member

Our backpacks on Southern are branded. I have a high-viz one. Mind its a bit mucky. Not that I'm selling, but no one would want it anyway.:lol:

My raincoat has a large southern logo on the back. It's such high quality that it now just says 'THERN'. Avdantix straps have taken their toll.

16. the sniper

the sniper Established Member

Must be a Govia thing as London Midland backpacks are branded too.

17. Skimble19

Skimble19 Established Member

So are Great Northern and Thameslink bags... Some FCC ones were too but not many of the ones issued in the last couple of years of the franchise (not that that's a surprise!)

18. FordFocus

FordFocus Member

My TOC bag is branded but a member of the public would never be able to get a branded one unless the company went defunct e.g. Midland Mainline, Wessex Trains, Con**x, sorry.

19. mph1977

mph1977 Member

hi vis ones might not need to be branded to be not a 'benefit in kind' if they are classed as part of the PPE - which given they are HV and to be worn in addition to obligatory HV waistcoat / ' BR BRA'

20. oldsiggie

oldsiggie Member

Think ALL Company issued items Uniform and PPE/Hi-Vis have to be 'branded' with the Company name, (maybe not safety shoes tho)

21. 455driver

455driver Veteran Member

My SWT rucksack and hiviz were not branded and neither is my FGW rucksack.

22. causton

causton Established Member

Out of the uniform I have been issued with, the gloves, scarf, and black winter overtrousers have not been branded. Also safety shoes and hi vis trousers (a spare pair lying around in the mess room, unsurprisingly never used in a ticket office!) are not...!

Back in my old job none of the trousers were branded, they were just branded as a commercial brand Slazenger with only the design of the stripe to give away they were uniform. Then again they didn't even have pockets but that's a different story ;)

23. mph1977

mph1977 Member

branded uniform is a VAT and income tax thing thing ( if it;s not branded it might be challenged as B-I-K / has VAT implications )

PPE is automatically zero vat and it;s work equipment not clothing even if worn as clothes !

24. notadriver

notadriver Established Member

I've seen some bus drivers with high vicinity rucksacks. Is this getting more common now ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.