• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where to go for a nice scenic rail journey from Birmingham New Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roders79

Hello I need some help me and my girlfriend like rail journeys and I'm planning to go somewhere for a nice weekend break somewhere in October by rail. What rail journey would you recommend so you see nice scenery while you traveling. The journey can not be more than 5 hours. I've been to Edinburgh and London so somewhere apart from them citys would be good. We love Cathedrals and my girlfriend loves shopping, so a city with both of them I have suggested would be good. Hope you can help me with suggestions.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

matabiau

You could try Birmingham to Cardiff via Hereford. That will take in both Worcester and Hereford Cathedrals, the countryside around the Malvern Hills and shopping in Cardiff. You have to change trains in Hereford as there is no direct service. Don't forget to specify Hereford when you buy the ticket as the most direct route is via Gloucester and Chepstow.

telstarbox

Established Member
Agree that Cardiff would be good, also:

Cambridge - direct trains from Birmingham in under 3 hours, lots to do there including shops, and you can stop in Ely on the way there or back for a bonus cathedral.

York would tick all your boxes as well and has the excellent National Railway Museum. Worth booking tickets in advance to save on the fare and get a seat.

Last edited:

Veteran Member
York or Durham via Derby Sheffield and Wakefield would get you several C of E cathedrals. Not to mention Newcastle.

Last edited:

telstarbox

Established Member
Although I've seen bigger parish churches than Sheffield cathedral!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Should have mentioned Liverpool too, two cathedrals both impressive in their own way and I understand there's a shopping precinct there too.

lemonic

How about Paris? Not the most scenic of journeys but it is fast and Paris has plenty of famous churches and shopping.

Established Member
I'll throw in Norwich, a fine city. Sure not the most scenic journey, but the flatness of the Fens has a quality of its own and Thetford forest is pleasant enough.

However if it is cathedrals you are interested in you'll see Peterborough, Ely and Norwich. The way Ely cathedral dominates the landscape is truly impressive. Norwich cathedral sits in some peaceful surroundings despite being right in the city centre.

And for shopping Norwich takes a lot of beating, two main shopping malls, the market, and many excellent pubs.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Cambrian Coast for scenery. Bit short of cathedrals / shopping though, but it would make a lovely weekend.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Cambrian Coast for scenery. Bit short of cathedrals / shopping though, but it would make a lovely weekend.

That was my first thought, but for the lack of the other requirements. Though if the OP did go that way, St Asaph Cathedral (and the very small, but not smallest, city) might be worthy of consideration, though it is better reached from the North Wales Coast (perhaps a circular journey is in order?)

Other options might be Leeds, Sheffield etc, maybe Carlisle which is a lovely city but doesn't have quite as much shopping as might be wanted.

Last edited:

IanD

Established Member
Newcastle round trip - out via Carlisle/Tyne Valley return via Durham/Sheffield or vv. More scenic on the Carlisle route.

As always, I would also suggest Milton Keynes :)

Lemmy99uk

Other options might be Leeds, Sheffield etc, maybe Carlisle which is a lovely city but doesn't have quite as much shopping as might be wanted.

Carlisle would give you the option of changing at Preston and going via the Furness and Cumbrian Coast lines, both stunningly beautiful.

You may even be able to do it on the loco hauled stock, although it may take you a little over the 5 hour limit

philjo

Established Member
Chester is worth a visit - use the ATW through service via Shrewsbury. easy access for a day to the North Wales coast or to Liverpool.

York or Durham

Gloucester Cathedral (& some good shops in Cheltenham)
Exeter

Hereford - travel out via the Malvern Hills.
If you got the right tickets you could change at Hereford for Ludlow - a large parish church but worth a visit to the town with some good restaurants & the Feathers hotel is very good and return via the Shropshire Hills & change at Shrewsbury.

Last edited:

David Goddard

Established Member
What about a circular trip from Birmingham to Porthmadoc - then by Ffestiniog Railway to Blaneau Ffestiniog, up the Conwy valley to Llandudno and then back to Birmingham via Chester. Can be done in either direction based on what timings suit best.

A super day out where you get to see some of the best scenery in the country, and there is a great value ticket- the Ffestiniog Round Robin (http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/pr9ef8ea0d8240bfae38accb393ae920.aspx) which covers it all.

IanD

Established Member
The Explore North Mid Wales pass allows travel for 4 days in 8 if you wanted to do the trip over a long weekend.
it also gives 50% discount on Welsh Highland and Ffestiniog railways. and discounted entry to Many of the visitor attractions - e.g. Caenarfon castle, etc.

http://www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/ExploreWales/ExploreNorthMidWalesPass/

I like this bit:

*Railcard: You can get a discount on a Explore Wales Pass if you have a 16-25, Two Together, Disabled Persons or a Senior Railcard holder.

I'm sure I have a holder from one of these somehwere. Don't have the actual railcard but you don't appear to need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.