• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

where to go in glasgow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomsharp

hi people, as the name states, am going to glasgow central in may on my first class ALR . i arrive in glasgow at 12.45, any suggestions for trips up there that have first class? i need to leave glasgow at 16.46 to get back down to london. I no its pretty random but any ideas would be very helpful
kind regards tom sharp

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Craig

Established Member
Most of the lines out to the coast are reasonably scenic although I'm not sure if they have first class. If you time it right you could do something like Glasgow Central - Gourock, ferry to Helensburgh, then train back into Glasgow Central low level (changing at Partick IIRC).

I'm sure someone more local will be able to offer some other suggestions.

me123

Established Member
Hi! No SR Trains out of Central offer FC, I'm afraid.

So let's pop to GQS. The station is a fifteen-minute walk away, and there's a wee free bus you can use as well. (The 398 is free to rail users and links the 2 stations and the bus station). I'm assuming you have reservations which means you must take the 1646 down? If so...

1341 QS-Perth (you would have enough time to go by train, changing at Partck for this one, or perhaps changing at Anniesland onto a direct high-level service) and a return service would be good. It's a nice scenic line and the fast (Aberdeen) services offer FC, I presume other will as well. The return service gets you in with half an hour to do the Cross-City connection, but there are probably more stopping options leaving you with extra time.

If you want to return to KX London, I'd recommend taking the 1341 to Dundee (a1500) or Arbroath (a1518) and go SB on the NXEC HST (dDundee 1603 or Arbroath 1545) which would take you directly into London, and you get some fantastic rolling stock!

The other (more obvious) option is to bash the local lines. Paisley's quite a good line, so you can go on to Ayr, Ardrossan, Largs, Wemyss Bay or Gourock and return quite easilty within the 3 hours you have. Haven't had the oppertunity to do them all myself, but they are said to be quite good lines. Unfortunately, they offer no FC service. (Unfortunately, I don't think Largs is viable as the arrival time of your train means you've probably missed it and would have to wait an hour...)

I'd avoid Helensburgh at all costs! 320s are not what you want to do!

There are probably other options, but if you particularly want/have to use another SB Pendo, stick to the Ayrshire/Inverclyde lines. If you don't mind going to KX, there are plenty of options!

Also, I'm assuming it's a weekday trip? If you can confirm this, it makes everything a bit easier! :) Enjoy the city while you're up here; its a nice wee place on the one day a year we get sun :lol:

Established Member
So let's pop to GQS. The station is a fifteen-minute walk away, and there's a wee free bus you can use as well.

Last time I did it (after the 37's had finished to Fort Bill we had a week around Scotland and spent a few nights staying near Glasgow) rather than walk (well for a unit scratch really) we did a service out of GQS to Patrick for another service into GLC, can't remember how long it took or if the services from there still go into GLC and GQS or not?

me123

Established Member
Last time I did it (after the 37's had finished to Fort Bill we had a week around Scotland and spent a few nights staying near Glasgow) rather than walk (well for a unit scratch really) we did a service out of GQS to Patrick for another service into GLC, can't remember how long it took or if the services from there still go into GLC and GQS or not?

It is doable and is probably more freqeunt now than it was, but connecting at PTK ATM is pretty hellish. They're rebuilding the station just now, which means the escalators are out of use and there's a lot of scaffolding about. Also, NClyde services (that go into QS) are not very frequent (compared to Argyle services, which are operating near capacity) so the connection could be very much more across the town.

YOu could also take the subway from St. Enoch to Buchanan Street. You're only on it for about 50 seconds, and Buchanan Street is directly outside Queen Street station, although St. Enoch station is a wee walk from GLC.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I can now confirm that Largs is easily doable. Might a therefore recommend:

Code:
STN    ARR    DEP    PLAT
GLC    1245   1305   8     (Cathcart Circle) 
GLC    1333   1345   13
LAR    1444   1453   same train
GLC    1552   1646

You may be able to do another service upon your return from Largs, but it would be a very tight connection back onto the EUS train. Platforms may change (based on Plan-a-Journey) but they should give you a rough idea of where to be.

tomsharp

Thankyou for the very informative responce! i am from leicester, and i need to get that pendo back at that time so i can get home! so your saying i could leave central, walk to qstreet and get a service to perth and back in time for my pendo back to london? that would be great, i just want to get as much mileage as possible! thanks again for the great replys
kind regards tom sharp

alex57601

I'd avoid Helensburgh at all costs! 320s are not what you want to do!

There's nothing wrong with 320's you know? <D

The Helensburgh run is a nice scenic run along the Firth of Clyde, but if you want some real scenery I recommend Balloch as that is on the southern shore of Loch Lomond and IIRC there's a chippy not far from the station...but it was five years ago since I last stayed in the area. There is also a pub just on the other side of the River Leven, with the bridge across the river right next to the station.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Thankyou for the very informative responce! i am from leicester, and i need to get that pendo back at that time so i can get home! so your saying i could leave central, walk to qstreet and get a service to perth and back in time for my pendo back to london? that would be great, i just want to get as much mileage as possible! thanks again for the great replys
kind regards tom sharp
Are you saying you are doing Perth-Glasgow-London, London-Leicester?

For decent traction, Perth-Edinburgh-Peterborough-Leicester would be a worthy alternative:idea: Another way to avoid the awful Pendos and make the trip more interesting would be to consider going on the G&SW via Dumfries (very interesting line), S&C (very scenic) and then Leeds to Leicester via Sheffield or Peterborough.

IMO, doing such lines on an ALR is a good use of one, as you can get dirt cheap tickets on the mainstream InterCity routes, but to use routes like the S&C you need flexible tickets which cost a fortune individually. If I was doing a week of main lines with a set plan I would get AP tickets rather than an ALR and safe a fortune (and break the week up with a day of rest which you can't do on an ALR without wasting a day's worth of paid-for travel)

me123

Established Member
In that case, I would go further and suggest:

Code:
STN   ARR   DEP
GLC   1245   xxxx (perhaps travel via PTK?)
GLQ   xxxx   1341 (FSR-ABD)
DEE   1500   1603 (NXEC-KX)
PBO   2120   2154 (XC service)
LEI   2223   xxxx

You get a Pendo, a Turbo to Dundee (FSR's turbos are very comfy!) an HST to PBO (enough said) and a Turbo back home! The only thing I'd suggest is to reserve the HST. In my experience, this train gets very busy past EDB, and is quite highly reserved.

1D53

Established Member
The HSTis very much a commuter train between Edinburgh and Newcastle especially as it has a Dunbar call on it. If you were already on board prior to Edinburgh you'd be fine.

The Helensburgh run is a nice scenic run along the Firth of Clyde, but if you want some real scenery I recommend Balloch as that is on the southern shore of Loch Lomond and IIRC there's a chippy not far from the station...but it was five years ago since I last stayed in the area. There is also a pub just on the other side of the River Leven, with the bridge across the river right next to the station.

There is a lot wrong with the 320s when they have been out from first thing in the morning! They are filthy and are in DIRE need of an overhaul! Helensburgh route is best...the scenery on a nice day is great and its even better when you travel on a whl service.

alex57601

There is a lot wrong with the 320s when they have been out from first thing in the morning! They are filthy and are in DIRE need of an overhaul! Helensburgh route is best...the scenery on a nice day is great and its even better when you travel on a whl service.

Like I said it's been five years since I bashed a 320 and that was just when ScotRail had started sending them to Kilmarnock for refurb/overhaul. :oops:

Mind, that same week I had 318269 for haulage and that was a good unit with nice comfy seats. 8-)

me123

Established Member
The HSTis very much a commuter train between Edinburgh and Newcastle especially as it has a Dunbar call on it. If you were already on board prior to Edinburgh you'd be fine.

Probably, but in my experience it is fully reserved out of EDB, therefore you may get kicked out of your seat? I've never been South of EDB, but it does look pretty busy.

My Lords! An HST direct to Pentre-Bach on the Merthyr Tydfil line, thats massive :lol:

CRS code for Peterbourgh is PBO ;)

Thanks :oops:Sometimes, if you haven't noticed, I just take an educated guess :lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

320s are definately a major problem on the FSR route, that's why I would avoid doing more than 5 minutes on them!

me123

Established Member
[bookmarks] Ta, Yorkie. Usually I use Wikipedia if i do need/want to know fore sure, but that's much easier!

djw1981

Established Member

You can be lucky and get a 318/334 as far as Dumbarton, or go to Balloch instead of Helensburgh.

The 320's are a bit tired, but are far superior to the FSR158's in terms of comfort, ride, space etc. The 318 are probably the best EMU FSR have all ways round though.

me123

Established Member
You can be lucky and get a 318/334 as far as Dumbarton, or go to Balloch instead of Helensburgh.

The 320's are a bit tired, but are far superior to the FSR158's in terms of comfort, ride, space etc. The 318 are probably the best EMU FSR have all ways round though.

318s are fantastic trains, and they opperate quite a few services per day on both Ayrhire/Inverclyde services and Argyle services. They share these duties with 334s (which, I think, are more common at least on the former route). 334s also do runs to Helensburgh, though, Mondays-Fridays only, so you could get some decent traction...

I think with a refresh, which must be due sometime soon (at least before they get shoved out to Cathcart) the 320s could be quite good units. They are quite fast and do a decent job running NClydes (despite the interior and comfort). Alhtough I'd rather see the SPT 156s get a refurb first: they are getting seriously tatty!!!

laseandre

Established Member

There's also a couple of Italian restaurants (La Scarpetta & Cucina) which are quite good but the former is quite expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.