• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where to see Class 20s at preserved railways?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lparris

Where are some good places to see class 20's in the south (preferably south east), also what heritage railways have class 20 that operate?
Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

59CosG95

Established Member
Where are some good places to see class 20's in the south (preferably south east), also what heritage railways have class 20 that operate?
Thanks

GBRf bring out at least one or two during the autumn RHTT period in the SE, and for the SITTs (Snow & Ice Treatment Trains) on the 3rd Rail routes; these could also be 73s or 66s, so don't put all your eggs in that basket.

Heritage Line wise, the SVR have a home fleet of 2, and the GCR has one too. Not sure on any others, as those are the only 2 pres lines I've visited! :lol:

crehld

Established Member
Heritage Line wise, the SVR have a home fleet of 2, and the GCR has one too. Not sure on any others, as those are the only 2 pres lines I've visited! :lol:

Keighley and Worth Valley Railway has a class 20 too.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
You memory hasn't served you well, no class 20 at Llangollen

Or at the Severn Valley now as I think 20059 and 20188 have been moved on. There really aren't many in the south that I can think of. There's one at the Gloucester and Warwickshire and both parts of the Great Central have them I think.

Geeves

Established Member
20087 was at the ELR for a good long spell. I think it is with HNRC now. I am not sure of its status. I think Harry Needle must have the biggest fleet of 20s now. No sure where you might see them in the south really. Have all the London Underground deliveries finished now?

Last edited:

E_Reeves

Established Member
Or at the Severn Valley now as I think 20059 and 20188 have been moved on. There really aren't many in the south that I can think of. There's one at the Gloucester and Warwickshire and both parts of the Great Central have them I think.

There's two at GWR. One is the ex-French one

D6975

Established Member

No, these are both still based at the Valley, but aren't necessarily there all the time. 20059 has recently undergone an overhaul at Washwood Heath and at the moment is visiting Bitton for last weekend's diesel day. Not sure where 20188 is at the moment.

Not sure if it's still there, but the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway used to have D8001. Was used for driver experience days

None based in the south on preserved lines

20142/227 will make regular appearances on the LU for charters in their LT red scheme.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
you will struggle in the south unless you can find one attending a diesel gala. 2 are down to visit Swanage over the weekend of 5th May. one is down to visit the Spa Valley in August for their gala. I think one is down for Epping and Ongar as well.

NOTE - subject to change and no guarantee engines wont go pop between now and then - check before travel.

Last edited:

ac6000cw

Established Member
They also turn up as visiting locos at diesel galas quite often, not least because they are relatively smaller and lighter so are easier to move by road to lines that don't have a mainline connection. Keep an eye on the PLEG website for info on what's happening Gala-wise - http://www.pleg.org.uk/latest_news.html - e.g. 20 001 should be at the Epping and Ongar Railway diesel gala on 22nd/23rd April (easily reached via the Central Line to Epping, then a free vintage bus service to North Weald)

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Certainly looking forward to seeing pair of 20s on west Somerset railway in June

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Same here and I was wondering if it would be a first on passenger services there?

According to WSR.org Class 20 no 20311
Class 20 no 20308 have visited, but not sure if for passengers, certainly a good year for pairs on WSR this year, with pairs of 4Fs and 7Fs at the steam gala end of month

20308 being stripped for spares. Requirement for Yorkshire RHTT has halved as one of the two circuits is open to any traction

CarltonA

Four class twenties were at Ruislip depot yesterday with the barrier tanks. It is easy to see them from Chiltern or Central Line trains between West Ruislip and South Ruislip when they are in the depot.

Marvin

Are the 20s still at SVR gala

I was on the SVR yesterday and there were four 20s parked outside the diesel depot - two in green and two in blue. Didn't get numbers, but I presume the two green ones are the residents.

20189 20205 visitors for gala, 20059 20188 resident soon to leave for pastures new. The latter two won't be working at the gala

theblackwatch

Established Member
And there'll be plenty of 20s at the Wensleydale 'Diamond Choppers' event on September 14th-17th.

Y961 XBU

For anyone wanting 20s

Wensleydale Railway
Thursday 14th Sepember until Sunday 17th September 2017

The Wensleydale Railway are delighted to announce a special event in September 2017 to celebrate the 60th Anniversary of the venerable and versatile Class 20.

The plan being worked on is at an advanced stage with conversations already held with loco owners who will potentially attend, with the event running from Thursday 14th to Sunday 17th September. We are planning to tell the story of the fleet, in a similar format to that used with 37s and 47s at their respective Golden Jubilee events.
The long line, steep gradients and glorious scenery should compliment these fine workhorses. If any owners who we have not yet contacted, are interested in attending with their machines then please contact Jerry at email

At this point things are very much in the planning stage and logisitics will play a huge part in what the event ends up looking like, however we hope for a minimum of 12 working examples, this to include 20169 which is being targeted for a return to traffic for this event.

http://www.pleg.org.uk/latest_news.html

EDIT: seems me and Theblackwatch had the same thought at the same time :P

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
12 working examples. 12? At Leeming. 12? Leeming? It will be busy. ay and indeed caramba!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.