• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where to see classic locos on the mainline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie2555

Hello,
I hope I'm not too late to the game, but would really like to know any recommendations of locations or workings where I can see loco hauled trains, either passenger or freight, which are not 66 hauled. I am based in the West Midlands at the moment and I understand there may be some 60s around, are there any 56s or 37s still operating? Where should I go to to catch these, other than in preservation? Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
Class 68s operate some London - Birmingham/Kidderminster Chiltern Railways services. I always think of them as the modern Class 37; they're really loud and very powerful! Freightliner operate quite a few Class 70s on various freight services, as does Colas Rail. HSTs still run on CrossCountry services as well.

I hope this is of some use!

-Peter

lammergeier

Take a short trip to Derby, usually some old relics clattering in and out of Chadddsden or the RTC

ExRes

Established Member
I would guess that a trip to Leicester might be quite productive, obviously an RTT check on what's going in and out of the LIP is advisable

Richard Scott

Established Member
We quite often get heritage locos on South Wales mainline, sometimes on scrap moves to Sims in Newport and others going to Cardiff to collect or deposit stock. Since lockdown started last March I've logged 4 class 20s, at least 5 37s, 3/4 47s, a 56 and numerous 60s as these work daily on the fuel trains. Many of these locos have made numerous appearances so heritage traction is more common than that list appears. Probably more have come past I just haven't been out for them. Still get 2+4 HSTs regularly on Cardiff to Taunton trains.

sharpley

Most of the new stock going into and out of Old Dalby for testing is hauled by classic locos (20s,37s,56s). They all have to reverse at Melton Mowbray to access the branch towards Old Dalby.

Last edited:

Doomotron

Class 57s on the Night Rivera and 73s on the Caledonian Sleeper (and on a lot of track cleaning (?) workings in the south east.

trebor79

Established Member
I've seen 60's on steel trains through Sleaford.
37's quite common all over the place on RHTT, stock movements etc.

Charlie2555

Class 68s operate some London - Birmingham/Kidderminster Chiltern Railways services. I always think of them as the modern Class 37; they're really loud and very powerful! Freightliner operate quite a few Class 70s on various freight services, as does Colas Rail. HSTs still run on CrossCountry services as well.

I hope this is of some use!

-Peter
Thank you Peter, I've always wanted to ride on that Chiltern service. Do they run daily?
Take a short trip to Derby, usually some old relics clattering in and out of Chadddsden or the RTC
Thank you, is the station the best place to spot those, or are there any other good spots in the Derby area?

Pair of 20s on this tomorrow https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/R16330/2021-02-04/detailed

Derby is the base for most test trains and are often worked by 37s or 73s
A shame, I had a work meeting today, but will try to get out and see some test trains. Do they run every day, or is there a 'best day' to spot test trains?

Most of the new stock going into and out of Old Dalby for testing is hauled by classic locos (20s,37s,56s). They all have to reverse at Melton Mowbray to access the branch towards Old Dalby.
That's a good shout, do those movements happen daily? As above, which day/s would I be most likely to see such trains?

Peter C

Established Member
Thank you Peter, I've always wanted to ride on that Chiltern service. Do they run daily?
You're welcome :)
I believe there is always at least one Chiltern Class 68-hauled service a day, but I'm not sure. I can't find any up-to-date diagrams for them online but when I do, I'll let you know.

-Peter

xotGD

Established Member
A West Midlands Daytripper ticket is a cheap way to sample the 68s. Stand in the front vestibule for the run from Moor Street to Snow Hill and enjoy the sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.