• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where was the Rillington Junction

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Girl

On Moderation
I have travelled many times on the Malton to Scarborough railway line and I can't for the life of me see where the Rillington Junction used to be
Recently I have watched many videos, of train journeys to Malton and back but still can't see the place
I have a pic of the Rillington Junction as it was and tried to compare, but no luck
Can anyone send me an up to date photo of the approximate place on the line showing where it used to be
Thanks very much
Keep well and stay safe
Sharon

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Can't oblige with a photo, but using Googlemaps satellite view head along Low Moorgate Lane from the middle of Rillington until you come to the level crossing. There's a used car dealers in what I would bet is the old station site, and a very obvious 90deg left curve away from the railway after which you can trace the old railway as far as Marishes Road.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Rilington station and its associated junction was indeed on the Malton-> Scarborough line and was located about five miles beyond Malton towards Seamer. The station opened in July 1845, officially closed in September 1930 (although there was some occasional subsequent use during WW2) and was completely closed (I.e. cessation of residual goods services) in August 1964.

The branch line provided a through route to Pickering and thence to Whitby via Grosmont, but most passengers changed at Malton rather than Rillington.

Last edited:

billio

I have travelled many times on the Malton to Scarborough railway line and I can't for the life of me see where the Rillington Junction used to be
Recently I have watched many videos, of train journeys to Malton and back but still can't see the place
I have a pic of the Rillington Junction as it was and tried to compare, but no luck
Can anyone send me an up to date photo of the approximate place on the line showing where it used to be
Thanks very much
Keep well and stay safe
Sharon
Google streetview

Senex

Established Member
The curve, from Scampston Jn on the York-Scarborough line to Marishes Jn on the Whitby line, was opened on 1 July 1865 and was used by direct trains between Scarborough and Whitby. It didn't last long, being closed on 1 October 1866. The contemporary railway press refers to it as the Rillington Curve.

John Webb

Established Member
This picture from the level crossing is looking towards Scarborough. (Click on it to go to the original picture on the Geograph website.)
Rillington Level Crossing looking eastward

© Copyright Martin Dawes and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
The buildings on the right are the much amended station buildings. The connection started to curve off to the left shortly at the far end of these buildings; swt_passenger's second link in post #6 shows the curve very clearly.
There are a couple of books which show the station but they are all in copyright, so I obviously can't copy them. They are:
Past and Present Companion - The North Yorkshire Moors Railway, by John Hunt (ISBN 1-85895-187-9, published 2001)
Past and Present Companion - The North Yorkshire Moors Railway Volume 2, by John Hunt (ISBN 1-85895-236-0, published 2004)
(Pulisher: The Nostalgia Collection)

unslet

You can see it curving away towards the top of this Google Earth view.

If travelling on a train towards Scarborough look for the row of terraced houses on the left.

Status
Not open for further replies.