• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Covid restrictions abroad: updates & observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
With the rumours about the Traffic Light System to be introduced which Countries are going to "Go Green" straight away for Holidays ?

Three early favourites have got to be Gibraltar, Iceland and Portugal all of whom have much lower "per 100,000" figures than the UK at the moment.

Could it be possible that Ireland, IOM and Channel Islands (CTA) could open up even sooner - ie from April 26th ?

Jersey is reintroducing it's Tiered System from April 26th depending on which part of the UK you live in down to almost Council Area according to it's website.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

joncombe

The rumours are that even for Green countries and even if you have had both doses of a vaccination you will have to take a test still. I very much hope this is wrong and no tests are needed in that case but time will tell.

As to countries I believe Iceland is opening to those outside the EU on 6th April but to avoid quarantine you have to have proof of vaccination or proof of previous infection

Bantamzen

Established Member
The rumours are that even for Green countries and even if you have had both doses of a vaccination you will have to take a test still. I very much hope this is wrong and no tests are needed in that case but time will tell.

As to countries I believe Iceland is opening to those outside the EU on 6th April but to avoid quarantine you have to have proof of vaccination or proof of previous infection
This is further proof of how daft things are becoming. So Iceland acknowledge that previous infection means you have some immunity. Fair enough so far. But you must be able to prove you have had it through covid / antibody test / B-cell test, but if you aren't aware you've had it you will need to have the vaccine which you may not need because you've had the virus and have immunity....

Honestly you couldn't make this up!

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
I do hope Spain, Italy and Greece are on the "green" list. I am very desperate to go a nice sunny Mediterranean destination this summer.

Jamiescott1

Not only is it what restrictions the uk government impose on travellers, its what restrictions the destination countries require

Not countries as such, but some cruise lines are already requiring 2 doses of the vaccine as part of their booking conditions.
Passengers will also need some sort of proof in order to disembark and visit places on the cruise itinerary.

In the news this week, Malta are also requiring proof of vaccination for tourists.
I wouldn’t be surprised if other countries followed suit.

Butts

Veteran Member
What about Gibraltar ?

They have a high vaccination rate, low incidence and was about the last "Foreign" place you could travel to with no restrictions (in or out) up until late December last year ?

Not countries as such, but some cruise lines are already requiring 2 doses of the vaccine as part of their booking conditions.
Passengers will also need some sort of proof in order to disembark and visit places on the cruise itinerary.

In the news this week, Malta are also requiring proof of vaccination for tourists.
I wouldn’t be surprised if other countries followed suit.

Malta will require either proof of vaccination OR Negative PCR result.

Masks have just gone in Gibraltar and everything is opening up....Bars etc.

Despairing of any concrete information and the prospect of having to test in and out even to "Green Countries" - ludicrous ??...

I have opted for Irlande Du Nord for my first foray week commencing 17th May for a few days on BA.

Should be able to slip into Dublin by then for at least a day with no worry about tests.

Long live the CTA :E

Last edited:

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
What about Gibraltar ?

They have a high vaccination rate, low incidence and was about the last "Foreign" place you could travel to with no restrictions (in or out) up until late December last year ?

Malta will require either proof of vaccination OR Negative PCR result.

Masks have just gone in Gibraltar and everything is opening up....Bars etc.

Despairing of any concrete information and the prospect of having to test in and out even to "Green Countries" - ludicrous ??...

I have opted for Irlande Du Nord for my first foray week commencing 17th May for a few days on BA.

Should be able to slip into Dublin by then for at least a day with no worry about tests.

Long live the CTA :E

Can you send me the link where Malta says that negative test will be acceptable as alternative to vaccination?

Last time I heard, Malta were only accepting vaccinated tourists.

Butts

Veteran Member
"Malta will require either proof of vaccination OR Negative PCR result."

Can I have evidence for this please?

Doh sorry just got up from a Nightshift.

Don't know how to post link - but type "Malta to welcome fully vaccinated UK Holidaymakers from June"

Established Member
but type "Malta to welcome fully vaccinated UK Holidaymakers from June"
And all the links that come up state that it is only opening to vaccinated travelers. If you believe otherwise please provide some evidence to your assertions that they will accept a negative test.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Cyprus and Greece have said previously that they'd accept vaccinated pax, and apparently Dubai will be on the green list, but that's likely to be too hot for me in August

nlogax

Established Member
Malta won't be accepting negative tests. It's a Covid vaccination record with the second jab having happened a minimum of ten days before arrival or you're not getting in.

Butts

Veteran Member
Malta won't be accepting negative tests. It's a Covid vaccination record with the second jab having happened a minimum of ten days before arrival or you're not getting in.

Indeed I dropped a bollock - sorry sunny s.

If that is the case why have you still got to take a test on the way in and out of the UK - seems a bit OTT

nlogax

Established Member
If that is the case why have you still got to take a test on the way in and out of the UK - seems a bit OTT

It is definitely OTT. There's a complete lack of trust between nations. I swear the British government thinks we'll be leaving the country to slurp gallons of coronavirus juice directly from a tap at our destination.

kristiang85

Established Member
It is definitely OTT. There's a complete lack of trust between nations. I swear the British government thinks we'll be leaving the country to slurp gallons of coronavirus juice directly from a tap at our destination.

CWNXJUNNNRAMLIR36F3NYNVWVY.jpg

Farang

This is further proof of how daft things are becoming. So Iceland acknowledge that previous infection means you have some immunity. Fair enough so far. But you must be able to prove you have had it through covid / antibody test / B-cell test, but if you aren't aware you've had it you will need to have the vaccine which you may not need because you've had the virus and have immunity....

Honestly you couldn't make this up!
Island communities are protected from disease because of their isolation, but once disease arrives the effects are worse because the population is less resistant.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Island communities are protected from disease because of their isolation, but once disease arrives the effects are worse because the population is less resistant.
Being an island no longer automatically equals protection, unless quite literally nobody is allowed on or off it. But that was not my point, if they accept that prior infection as a means for entry, what about the people who have had the virus but we're not aware of it. They will have to take the vaccine even though they would be accepted by the Icelandic government as having enough immunity, but no papers to prove it.

When you sit back and think about it, the whole thing is a bit daft.

clagmonster

Established Member
IoM is expected to be late August for unrestricted tourism. I think sponsored visits to visit friends, family and the like are allowed earlier.

Butts

Veteran Member
IoM is expected to be late August for unrestricted tourism. I think sponsored visits to visit friends, family and the like are allowed earlier.

Channel Islands from April 26th - but with the previously used gradings based on where in the UK you live determining the procedure/restrictions.

So that just leaves Ireland out of the CTA destinations to give a plan for opening up.

As I previously alluded to Gibraltar will be a possibility relatively early - high vaccination rates and just about the last place to exclude us last time around.

joncombe

The papers today are suggesting a backlash about the costs of the mandatory tests required even for Green List countries and that the Government may provide one of them for free. There is also the comment that there will be a review at the end of June. There will also be a list of countries at risk of moving off the green list to hopefully provide some pre warning of changes. I hope the test requirement goes for the green list at the review in June but not confident it will.

Yew

Established Member
The papers today are suggesting a backlash about the costs of the mandatory tests required even for Green List countries and that the Government may provide one of them for free. There is also the comment that there will be a review at the end of June. There will also be a list of countries at risk of moving off the green list to hopefully provide some pre warning of changes. I hope the test requirement goes for the green list at the review in June but not confident it will.
This does seem more about keeping face, by using the test the we've bought up, than any sort of epidemiological necessity.

Butts

Veteran Member

When I travelled to Italy last October you were supposed to take a test on entry which we swerved as Verona Airport being small was not set up for it.

The Tests were Free.

Instead of wasting money on 2 free Tests for everyone in England each week why not use the money so returnees don't have to pay for a Test ?

Butts

Veteran Member
Anybody getting the impression that the government, or at least some of it's ministers might have a vested interest in test producing companies?

I think if the tests go ahead they will be nowhere near £100 + , my guess will be around £50 which although unwelcome would be palatable.

Channel Islands must be rubbing their hands with glee and escalating prices as we speak :E

duncanp

Established Member
If I do go to the United States in August this year as planned, I will be flying back (on Aer Lingus) from New York to Birmingham via Dublin.

I will be staying "airside" all the time I am in Dublin, as the flight is booked on one ticket.

That raises the question of how closely the Irish immigration official looks at my UK passenger locator form, or do I have to fill out a similar form for the Irish Republic, or perhaps both.

Hopefully the Irish immigration official won't mind too much if I put Mickey Mouse as the provider of the compulsory PCR test on the UK passenger locator form. :D <D

Butts

Veteran Member
If I do go to the United States in August this year as planned, I will be flying back (on Aer Lingus) from New York to Birmingham via Dublin.

I will be staying "airside" all the time I am in Dublin, as the flight is booked on one ticket.

That raises the question of how closely the Irish immigration official looks at my UK passenger locator form, or do I have to fill out a similar form for the Irish Republic, or perhaps both.

Hopefully the Irish immigration official won't mind too much if I put Mickey Mouse as the provider of the compulsory PCR test on the UK passenger locator form. :D <D

Ireland is part of The Common Travel Area so you shouldn't face any problems, by August I doubt there will be any testing or other requirements for the USA as it's vaccination rate is progressing well.

Is it not a lot dearer flying from Birmingham ? I suppose at least you clear immigration in Dublin.

I was due to fly from Birmingham direct to Orlando on May 17th but luckily was able to cancel free of penalty due to the Hotel that formed part of my package being closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.