• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Covid restrictions abroad: updates & observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

island

Veteran Member
If I recall, the list of countries from where hotel quarantine was required was very short.
Immediately prior to the abolition there was around half a dozen, but at peak in March/April the list had grown to over 50, including at various points the USA and France.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Which I believe makes us the only country in Europe - and indeed the entire western world (apart from Australia/NZ) - still keeping these prisons. No sign of that changing anytime soon, either.

Berliner

Which I believe makes us the only country in Europe - and indeed the entire western world (apart from Australia/NZ) - still keeping these prisons. No sign of that changing anytime soon, either.

I don't think the UK will be able to keep it up if people can now come from Ireland undetected and skip the hotel imprisonment.

It's pointless. Just as pointless as each UK nation having an individual approach to quarentine.

Cdd89

Established Member
I don't think the UK will be able to keep it up if people can now come from Ireland undetected and skip the hotel imprisonment.

In theory this is covered though; the statutory instrument states:
(3) Subject to paragraph (4), a person who arrives in England from within the common travel area who has been in a country or territory outside the common travel area at any time in the period beginning with the 10th day before the date of their arrival in England must provide on the Passenger Locator Form their passenger information on their arrival.

(So you must have completed a PLF on entering England from any other country within the CTA; and the PLF
which will force the purchase of a Managed Quarantine package and mandate arrival at a designated airport).

In relation to people slipping through undetected, that is another matter and I’d argue this has already been possible (via the “front door”) for a long time. The eGates are programmed to open if any PLF has been submitted in the last three days for that passport number. That airline executive was bragging about having skipped Hotel Quarantine multiple times by going via Switzerland (and seemingly only came unstuck due to his boasting!).

route101

Established Member
Looking at going to France. I read that you dont need a PCR test if your fully jabbed?

3rd rail land

Looking at going to France. I read that you dont need a PCR test if your fully jabbed?
No need to take any type of test to enter France.

I have taken an LFT as I am flying Italy tomorrow. The result was negative however there was a smudge on the test strip. I uploaded an image of the test strip to get my confirmation of a negative result however the website immediately said my test was invalid and I should take PCR one. Additionally my results were immediately available and the result field was blank. I sent a message, with an image of the test strip, via the website querying it and got a reply back in 10 minutes asking for a copy of the result sheet. I have chased this up as it has now been over 12 hours. This is slightly worrying to say the least. I am 100% certain my result was negative but without confirmation/valid result sheet I won't be going anywhere tomorrow and could stand to lose a fair chunk of money on my holiday. Hopefully things will get progressed now it is morning as I presume the company in question doesn't operate 24/7.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
For the day 2 test, just get the cheapest possible provider. The only thing you need is the reference number to put on your passenger locator form, after that it honestly doesn't seem to matter whether the company sends you the test or not, let alone whether you take it.
This. I did not take my Day 2 test the last time because I had left England by the time it arrived and nobody cared, mostly because the testing company had my £20.

I’ve seen various rumblings it will change. I agree with the sentiment though; it is ridiculous and has increased the stigma against people who are mostly from developing countries who are visiting here for good reasons (and why wouldn’t you be here for a good reason if you’re whacking down £2K plus on a prison stay?).

3rd rail land

This. I did not take my Day 2 test the last time because I had left England by the time it arrived and nobody cared, mostly because the testing company had my £20.
Well I had to pay £40 for my test as it was the cheapest I could find where the site actually let me make a purchase. I tried to use Expert Medicals however the website simply would not allow me to proceed once I had entered all my details. It wouldn't even throw an error message it simply reloaded the same page with all my details I had laboriously entered now gone. Oh and they never responded to my query about it.

Last edited:

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Raises an interesting question for me in that next month I plan to fly back to England from one foreign trip then fly back out to commence another foreign trip just 24 hours or so later. Does anyone know what the "day 2" test requirement would be in that situation?

Cdd89

Established Member
Does anyone know what the "day 2" test requirement would be in that situation?
You are required to buy the day 2 kit but you don’t have to take it if you leave before the end of day 2 (some suppliers will let you reschedule, so you don’t have to lose the money). This was added due to people using the loophole of buying a £9 Ryanair flight.

Butts

Veteran Member
Have just pulled out of a trip to Turkey in a few weeks as I didn't realise even fully vaccinated Brits have to have a PCR test to get in. Shame as I was looking forward to it.

I won't go anywhere you have to take a test to get into , unless like Jersey it's free.

Knowing my luck the Turks will probably drop the requirement the week before I go.

Anyone got any inkling the exact date or when it will be announced as to LF tests replacing PCR ones for 2 Day Test on return to the UK ?

Established Member
Just flown into Stansted from Germany. ePassport gates were working and I got through no problem.

kristiang85

Established Member
Have just pulled out of a trip to Turkey in a few weeks as I didn't realise even fully vaccinated Brits have to have a PCR test to get in. Shame as I was looking forward to it.

I won't go anywhere you have to take a test to get into , unless like Jersey it's free.

Knowing my luck the Turks will probably drop the requirement the week before I go.

Anyone got any inkling the exact date or when it will be announced as to LF tests replacing PCR ones for 2 Day Test on return to the UK ?

Ah damn I didn't realise that either. I'm going as I'm only transiting through Turkey to a country where I need a PCR test anyway, so its no problem, but it is a bit of a bummer. They wouldn't let you take it at the airport on arrival I presume? (it's very cheap there).

On my way back though I'm transiting through Turkey and the PCR is $100 where I'm going to be - so I'd like to avoid that if I can. Do you know if it counts for transits only?

I think they want the PCRs out by half term, so 2nd half of October, but then again I can see the government's mates wanting a final bonanza before they drop the PCRs. So who knows. Shapps has been very quiet on it recently.

Edit: Ah I think I'm good on Turkey

Entry to Turkey​

All arrivals into Turkey, except Turkish citizens or residence permit holders, must complete an online form a maximum of 72-hours prior to travel. You do not need to do this if you’re transiting Turkey on the way to another country.

All arrivals into Turkey, from countries other than those mentioned below, must have proof of one of the following:

• A full course of COVID-19 vaccinations
  • recent recovery from COVID-19
  • a negative PCR test (within 72 hours of arrival).

Arriving to Turkey from UK, Iran, Egypt or Singapore (aged 12 and above)​

You will need a negative PCR test taken within the 72 hours prior to arriving in Turkey, regardless of vaccination status. This is not required for those passengers transiting Turkey on the way to another country.

Established Member
Ironically I've replaced my Turkish Vacation with one in Dusseldorf.

What we the checks like on the way in ?

Flew Stansted - Cologne with Ryanair. Proof of vaccination and entry form were checked when I dropped my suitcase. They were also checked at immigration at Cologne/Bonn alongside my passport. No tests needed whatsoever, but bear in mind Germany is pretty strict in terms of mask requirements and vaccine passports. That said I still thoroughly enjoyed myself and wouldn't let that put you off.

kevin_roche

I arrived safely in Crete. A bit slow going through passport control and a policeman asked to see my PLF just after that.

I have been here a week and despite being told that you need to show your vaccination certificate to eat in a restaurant I have not been asked for it yet.

Jamiescott1

Flew Stansted - Cologne with Ryanair. Proof of vaccination and entry form were checked when I dropped my suitcase. They were also checked at immigration at Cologne/Bonn alongside my passport. No tests needed whatsoever, but bear in mind Germany is pretty strict in terms of mask requirements and vaccine passports. That said I still thoroughly enjoyed myself and wouldn't let that put you off.

I found bavaria more relaxed on masks than I was expecting when I went at the end of August.
Lots of people wearing cloth or disposable face coverings although always worn indoors.

3 separate occasions summer I've been rejected by e passport Gates and had to go through the manned passport booth (frustrating having to queue twice)

nlogax

Established Member
Have been in western Canada for about a week now. Boarding at Heathrow and arrival into and exit from Vancouver airport was as easy and hassle-free as anyone could hope for, though being prepped with both ArriveCAN and Verifly apps fully populated it wasn't a surprise.

With this region seeing recent case number spikes and full ICUs both BC and Alberta operate strict mask policies for indoor public spaces. No sign of any impotent rage about inhibited freedoms, everyone just gets on with things and continues to live their lives. It's been grand so far. All that's left is the unfunny pantomime of organising a Day 2 test for the end of next week.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Have been in western Canada for about a week now. Boarding at Heathrow and arrival into and exit from Vancouver airport was as easy and hassle-free as anyone could hope for, though being prepped with both ArriveCAN and Verifly apps fully populated it wasn't a surprise.

With this region seeing recent case number spikes and full ICUs both BC and Alberta operate strict mask policies for indoor public spaces. No sign of any impotent rage about inhibited freedoms, everyone just gets on with things and continues to live their lives. It's been grand so far. All that's left is the unfunny pantomime of organising a Day 2 test for the end of next week.
I believe Rebel News paints a different picture of Canada

Ediswan

Established Member
Referencing the original subject, not India.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-58767418
India has imposed mandatory quarantine for all UK nationals arriving in the country, even if they are fully vaccinated against Covid-19.
From Monday, British citizens will have to undergo ten days of home quarantine after arriving in India.
India's government said the change brought "reciprocity" to its rules.

Butts

Veteran Member
Ironically I've replaced my Turkish Vacation with one in Dusseldorf.

What we the checks like on the way in ?

And now Turkey removes the need for a PCR Test for vaccinated passengers a couple of days after I cancel :(

Jamesrob637

Established Member

Bingo. Even if I have to take a letter for proof of vaccinations rather than/as well as my card, one more piece of paper doesn't bother me. But no supplementary costs (apart from if the library still charges 5p to print as my printer broke a while ago and I don't currently need another!)

Butts

Veteran Member
Shame....Bologna's fabulous at Christmas - or any other time of the year for that matter.

Not been to either but Turkey is 240 Tier Points against 160 for Bologna.

Have travelled to Italy a number of times but never Turkey.

Status
Not open for further replies.