• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Covid restrictions abroad: updates & observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duncanp

Established Member
More good news, in that the number of countries on the Red list is to be cut from 54 to about 9.

The article mentions Post COVID Normality which is a good thing.

The news has probably been leaked released now to coincide with the Conservative Party Conference, and to take our minds off all the other issues (eg. the petrol shortage) but nevertheless anything which makes life a bit easier is to be welcomed.

It does make you wonder though what difference all these petty little rules about international travel really made.

Holiday freedom as Boris Johnson slashes red list in time for half-term​

Quarantine is set to be abolished for almost all countries as the Prime Minister prepares for post-Covid 'normality'

Draconian Covid-19 travel restrictions are to be lifted on dozens of major overseas destinations within days, as Boris Johnson prepares to announce plans to bring society and the economy back to “normality” following the worst of the pandemic.

The Telegraph understands that the 54 countries on the Government’s “red list” will be slashed to as few as nine this week - with South Africa, Brazil and Mexico all expected to be opened up to quarantine-free travel in time for the October half-term break.

Cape Verde and Indonesia are also due to be struck off the red list - which requires travellers to quarantine in designated hotels.

Thailand could also become a quarantine-free destination, but was said to be a “more marginal call”.

The changes, which will allow fully vaccinated travellers to visit each of the countries without having to self-isolate on their return, are expected to be announced on Thursday following a review of the current list.

The move would lead to a spike in bookings by business travellers and holidaymakers, as it significantly opens up the number of destinations offering winter sun.

The planned easing of restrictions marks a dramatic shift in the Government’s approach to foreign travel following months of protests by industry bodies and Conservative backbenchers over the restrictions.

In a particularly ferocious attack, former prime minister Theresa May warned in the summer that Britain was “falling behind the rest of Europe in our decisions to open up”.

Covid-19 hospitalisation rates have confounded modelling which suggested that daily admissions could number 7,000 this month, when in fact they appear to have plateaued at 600.

The move comes as Mr Johnson prepares to reboot the Conservatives’ domestic agenda in the wake of the devastating impact of Covid-19 and the Government’s restrictions.

On Saturday night, on the eve of the Tories’ annual conference in Manchester, the Prime Minister said the vaccine rollout “has saved thousands of lives, prevented countless hospitalisations and has allowed the economy and society to begin returning to normality”.

He added: “We didn’t go through Covid to go back to how things were before - to the status quo ante.

“Build Back Better means we want things to change and improve as we recover.”

A Whitehall source said: “We are expecting sharp reductions in the red list. It could be as few as nine countries left on the list.”

The source said that ministers still wanted to keep restrictions in place to guard against Covid-19 variants, but that the Government wanted to avoid a travel policy that “is unnecessarily restricted”.

“Targeted quarantine will remain, but in fewer places,” the source said. A second source confirmed that the red list was due to be cut back “substantially”.

nw1

Established Member
So it wasn't about a virus, it was about politics all along.

Certainly in this case it seems to be revenge politics.

But Modi isn't someone I'd touch with a bargepole, anyway. He seems to be a particularly unpleasant far-right individual who appears to hold supremacist views about certain ethnic groups within his country.

More good news, in that the number of countries on the Red list is to be cut from 54 to about 9.

The article mentions Post COVID Normality which is a good thing.

The news has probably been leaked released now to coincide with the Conservative Party Conference, and to take our minds off all the other issues (eg. the petrol shortage) but nevertheless anything which makes life a bit easier is to be welcomed.

It does make you wonder though what difference all these petty little rules about international travel really made.

Shame they've timed it carefully just as the summer season has finished and many of us can't get away anyhow.

Won't give 'Boris' any more brownie points in my eyes I'm afraid. His position is completely untenable now - but I will stop there as it will veer OT.

Last edited:

WestRiding

So, as I gather, you now only need a Lateral Flow Test on day 2 to get back into our country.

Where on earth are these obtained from, because upon looking today, it seems you can only really buy a PCR day 2 test?

Why on earth is it so unclear!

Cdd89

Established Member
That’s great news; but I’d much rather see it gone altogether. While the infrastructure exists the pressure to add to it will always be there.

So, as I gather, you now only need a Lateral Flow Test on day 2 to get back into our country.
Unfortunately that is not correct. That aspect of the changes comes later (“mid-late” October), allegedly to give time for stocks of lateral flow tests to build up. (This makes no sense to me — why not accept them, and if they run out people can fall back to PCRs?). Anyway, you need a PCR Day 2 supplier for now.

WestRiding

That’s great news; but I’d much rather see it gone altogether. While the infrastructure exists the pressure to add to it will always be there.

Unfortunately that is not correct. That aspect of the changes comes later (“mid-late” October), allegedly to give time for stocks of lateral flow tests to build up. (This makes no sense to me — why not accept them, and if they run out people can fall back to PCRs?). Anyway, you need a PCR Day 2 supplier for now.
Thanks, I seem to have gotten awfully confused.

kristiang85

Established Member

The NHS have plenty...

Obviously the government's mates need time to stock up.

Butts

Veteran Member
Well I had a PCR Test in Glasgow at 0910 yesterday morning and got the result through at 2315 the same night. Not a bad service for £69 - apparently they are couriered down to a Lab in Liverpool.

This means I will be exempt from Testing when I arrive in Jersey tomorrow.

This sounds insane as testing is free in Jersey but I couldn't take the risk of being confined for 10 days in The Bailiwick if I'd tested positive. I have plans next week that involve Air Travel.

Still seething about Turkey dropping the PCR entry requirement 2 days after I cancelled.<D

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Well I had a PCR Test in Glasgow at 0910 yesterday morning and got the result through at 2315 the same night. Not a bad service for £69 - apparently they are couriered down to a Lab in Liverpool.

This means I will be exempt from Testing when I arrive in Jersey tomorrow.

This sounds insane as testing is free in Jersey but I couldn't take the risk of being confined for 10 days in The Bailiwick if I'd tested positive. I have plans next week that involve Air Travel.

Still seething about Turkey dropping the PCR entry requirement 2 days after I cancelled.<D
I have a friend who has just returned from Jersey. The Jersey folks have no one about to really in Jersey to do the tests as it is the end of the season. They basically spoke to him and said he forget about it.

Butts

Veteran Member
I have a friend who has just returned from Jersey. The Jersey folks have no one about to really in Jersey to do the tests as it is the end of the season. They basically spoke to him and said he forget about it.

Ah well better to be safe than sorry, knowing my luck it would be the one day it is monitored when I arrive.

Will report back what actually happens tomorrow.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Ah well better to be safe than sorry, knowing my luck it would be the one day it is monitored when I arrive.

Will report back what actually happens tomorrow.
I've just re-read my garbled rubbish. Apologies, it was about the tests being conducted on the island.

They have no one about to do process them; all the Portuguese workers aren't there. So he rang up chasing the result and they said "eh....we haven't got it, on yer way" sort of thing.

Butts

Veteran Member
I've just re-read my garbled rubbish. Apologies, it was about the tests being conducted on the island.

They have no one about to do process them; all the Portuguese workers aren't there. So he rang up chasing the result and they said "eh....we haven't got it, on yer way" sort of thing.

Well I got in okay and my PCR Test exempted me from having to take one at the Airport so money well spent and no worry of being marooned for 10 days.

I think it's about time Jersey eased up and followed the more liberal policy adopted in Guernsey with just having to take LF Tests every few days.

joncombe

Well I got in okay and my PCR Test exempted me from having to take one at the Airport so money well spent and no worry of being marooned for 10 days.

I think it's about time Jersey eased up and followed the more liberal policy adopted in Guernsey with just having to take LF Tests every few days.
Guernsey are ending the testing requirement entirely on 20th October. In any case there was never a requirement to actually take the tests, you just had to pay for them.

LAX54

Established Member
That's really bad luck for you. :'(
Its not only the UK that seems to be at 6's and 7's with travel arrangements, thought of going to Holland for a few days towards the end of November, called Stena Line who said, you can't go, which took me by surprise, then went on three other websites including a couple of Dutch ones, and all gave a different answer !
one said, No. 2nd said, yes you can, but it had to be for a specific / special reason only, and a third said yes, as long as you are double jabbed and have a valid PCR 48 hrs before travelling !

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Its not only the UK that seems to be at 6's and 7's with travel arrangements, thought of going to Holland for a few days towards the end of November, called Stena Line who said, you can't go, which took me by surprise, then went on three other websites including a couple of Dutch ones, and all gave a different answer !
one said, No. 2nd said, yes you can, but it had to be for a specific / special reason only, and a third said yes, as long as you are double jabbed and have a valid PCR 48 hrs before travelling !

I wonder when is international travel going to be back to the way it was pre pandemic? It seems that governments are scapegoating international travel in the same way that hospitality was at the height of the pandemic.

johncrossley

Established Member

Vaccinated visitors from the UK have been allowed to visit the Netherlands since 22 September for any reason without quarantine. An antigen test is OK, so you don't need to spend extra on a PCR test. The antigen test needs to be less than 24 hours before departure.

There is a lot of documentation required. The quarantine declaration form is needed even if you are exempt from quarantine. A vaccine declaration form. A health questionnaire if you are arriving by air, unless you fly with certain airlines, such as easyJet, as they incorporate that into their check in. When you get to the Netherlands, your NHS Covid pass will get you into the country but you can't use it to get into restaurants. You need to take a daily test, which is free, to enable you to do that.

plugwash

Established Member
I wonder when is international travel going to be back to the way it was pre pandemic? It seems that governments are scapegoating international travel in the same way that hospitality was at the height of the pandemic.
Probablly not for a good while, different countries will be in different phases of covid at any given time and new variants may well pop up.

Butts

Veteran Member
I'm off to Dusseldorf later this month - nothing other than a PLF in for vaccinated travellers and whatever 2 Day Test is in operation here on my return.

These Day 2 Tests should really go as well for all the good they are doing.

johncrossley

Established Member
Probablly not for a good while, different countries will be in different phases of covid at any given time and new variants may well pop up.

Travelling within the EU is pretty much back to normal as long as you are vaccinated. If you travel outside the EU several countries still require tests in at least one direction.

plugwash

Established Member
AIUI the US is still blocking most travel from Europe, they plan to change the rules soon but it's not clear whether they will accept all the vaccines Europe uses or whether your ability to travel to the US will depend on whether you got a US approved vaccine in the vaccination lottery.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Its odd how we didn't have any different variants for months then they were the talk of the town and they were popping up left right and centre and now we haven't had one for months.

Yet in reality there are thousands.

Its almost like they just one of many tools in the Government's tool box....

johncrossley

Established Member
Why have we still got the Day 2 Test ?

Yes, it is annoying. If only we had never left the EU.

Travelling from Ireland to the Netherlands: no tests either way for the vaccinated. Irish vaccine pass valid in restaurants in the Netherlands.

Travelling from the UK the Netherlands: two tests required for the vaccinated, one each way. NHS vaccine pass not valid in restaurants in the Netherlands.

danm14

Why have we still got the Day 2 Test ?
To make money for Tory donors.

If the intention was preventing the spread of Covid, the pre-departure test would have been kept, to prevent a Covid-positive person boarding a flight home and spreading it to the other passengers.

The Day 2 test can be taken immediately on arrival in the UK - it's really the "no later than Day 2 test" - which really makes it no different to a pre-departure test, apart from its inability to prevent a Covid-positive person boarding a flight.

The pre-departure test is obtained in the country you travel to. The Day 2 test is purchased from an approved UK supplier, usually a Tory donor.

Butts

Veteran Member
Yes, it is annoying. If only we had never left the EU.

Travelling from Ireland to the Netherlands: no tests either way for the vaccinated. Irish vaccine pass valid in restaurants in the Netherlands.

Travelling from the UK the Netherlands: two tests required for the vaccinated, one each way. NHS vaccine pass not valid in restaurants in the Netherlands.

Travelling from the UK to Ireland - no tests either way for vaccinated. UK vaccine pass valid in restaurants in Ireland - I was their the other week.

Berliner

AIUI the US is still blocking most travel from Europe, they plan to change the rules soon but it's not clear whether they will accept all the vaccines Europe uses or whether your ability to travel to the US will depend on whether you got a US approved vaccine in the vaccination lottery.

The lack of actual detail on their plans to reopen is frustrating as I had hoped to go over in November, but there is no point risking it as I have had AZ, they still haven't said the exact dates, and November is only 3 weeks away. I wonder what they are waiting for, as there must be huge amounts of pent-up demand for EU-US flights, yet the uncertainty does no one any favours. I suspect they made a decision and now the scientists are saying no way, bu they can't yet announce that.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Vaccinated visitors from the UK have been allowed to visit the Netherlands since 22 September for any reason without quarantine. An antigen test is OK, so you don't need to spend extra on a PCR test. The antigen test needs to be less than 24 hours before departure.

There is a lot of documentation required. The quarantine declaration form is needed even if you are exempt from quarantine. A vaccine declaration form. A health questionnaire if you are arriving by air, unless you fly with certain airlines, such as easyJet, as they incorporate that into their check in. When you get to the Netherlands, your NHS Covid pass will get you into the country but you can't use it to get into restaurants. You need to take a daily test, which is free, to enable you to do that.
What happens if one takes the Eurostar to Brussels and then local trains across the border? Would I need to follow the Belgian rules, the Dutch rules, or both? If I have a hotel in Antwerp, am I allowed to cross the Dutch border?

johncrossley

Established Member
What happens if one takes the Eurostar to Brussels and then local trains across the border? Would I need to follow the Belgian rules, the Dutch rules, or both? If I have a hotel in Antwerp, am I allowed to cross the Dutch border?

That's a good question. I can't see the definition of a 'trip' defined. Entering the UK is more clear cut as you have to look at all countries you were in in the last 10 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.