• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Covid restrictions abroad: updates & observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yew

Established Member
So much for them reviewing the rules they announced last week in three weeks time. Only one week later they make them stricter :(
I'm just glad they submitted clear evidence and an impact assessment of the interventions.

Wait, what?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

brad465

Established Member
I'm just glad they submitted clear evidence and an impact assessment of the interventions.

Wait, what?
One thing I'll never understand is how it's been possible to get away with so much without publishing impact assessments/analysis of costs and benefits, and how simply demanding these get published effectively makes one a conspiracy theorist.

duncanp

Established Member
One thing I'll never understand is how it's been possible to get away with so much without publishing impact assessments/analysis of costs and benefits, and how simply demanding these get published effectively makes one a conspiracy theorist.

Having just come back from France (and now with a negative PCR test :D :D ) the requirements have changed in a few weeks from no tests required at all to:-
  • A test to enter France
  • A pre departure test before you arrive back in the UK
  • A post arrival PCR test after arriving back in the UK, and self isolation until you get the result
There is no evidence that I am aware of that all this testing stops the spread of the virus.

When I took my PCR test this morning, the testing centre was quite busy, so all the testing companies must be making a mint.

I hope Santa Claus has got all his tests and certificates ready for December 24th, otherwise lots of children will be going without presents at Christmas.

And as for the three wise men....

Telegraph Cartoon - 2nd December 2021.jpg

Smidster

Absolute madness

The simple fact is that any restrictions on travel will change nothing about the situation.

The variant is here and in sufficient numbers that it isn't going away

This is just another cruel tax on travel - especially just before Christmas with people who haven't seen each other for 2 years

Cdd89

Established Member
It looks like there’s no sign that it has to be supervised, so the cheap “upload a photo” services should hopefully be good enough.

Eyersey468

Established Member
I've never understood that either

So much for them reviewing the rules they announced last week in three weeks time. Only one week later they make them stricter :(
This winter is a write off now as far as I am concerned.

RailExplorer

Happy to see the vaccinated are now being treated almost the same as the unvaccinated. There is zero logic / science in allowing the vaccinated to travel without restrictions as they can spread COVID in just the same way as the vaccinated.

adc82140

Established Member
It looks like there’s no sign that it has to be supervised, so the cheap “upload a photo” services should hopefully be good enough.
For entry to France, they treat "supervised" as being confirmed by a professional, which includes the upload a photo service. I can see no reason why the UK wouldn't accept this. Any attempt to make people visit a clinic in a foreign country would kill the travel industry.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
What happens if you test positive - are you expected to stay where you are (at you own expense) until you test negative?

Butts

Veteran Member
This is ridiculous.

When I get back home from Albania on Monday I'm seriously considering not bothering to take the PCR Test that is waiting at home for me as a protest.

Is the system joined up enough that I should fear any ramifications ?

How will they catch up with me - what is the mechanism of cross checks and balances to out defaulters ?

Unless you can get insurance for that, I can't see many people willing to take that risk. I suspect there will be even more cancellations to trips that are planned in the next few weeks. Travel industry leaders must be pulling their hair out.

I'm going to Turkey a week on Wednesday come hell or high water :E

RailExplorer

This is ridiculous.

When I get back home from Albania on Monday I'm seriously considering not bothering to take the PCR Test that is waiting at home for me as a protest.

How will they catch up with me - what is the mechanism of cross checks and balances to out defaulters ?

I'm going to Turkey a week on Wednesday come hell or high water
All I'm going to say is...

I know you can fake the LFT pre departure to the UK - swab what you like, photograph the negative reading with your passport and voila, they send a certificate. Or just edit a previous PDF negative certificate.

I also know no one chases you for day 2 / 8 PCR test results. Some companies don't even send the results back - they probably don't even test the samples sent in. Just look for the 1* Google reviews on PCR travel testing.

I also know you can re use the day 2 / 8 PCR or LFT codes.

I also know no one routinely checks up on whether you are self isolating (they call and that's it).

I also know you can simply put down the phone to T&T and carry on.

A lot of this is done on honesty. A lot of this can be faked. To what extent you do any of the above is up to the individual as I am fully aware that there could be consequences if caught (fines etc) however I know far too many that have done the above and nothing has happened.

Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
What happens if you test positive - are you expected to stay where you are (at you own expense) until you test negative?
Yes, though in fairness travel insurance should cover most resultant costs. Actually catching Covid is rare enough that most policies still give cover for that.

westv

Established Member
I hope everything is more back to normal by next May or we will be moving/cancelling our trip to Greece.

kristiang85

Established Member
Yes, though in fairness travel insurance should cover most resultant costs. Actually catching Covid is rare enough that most policies still give cover for that.

Most travel insurance now seems to exclude costs related to COVID 19 though.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Most travel insurance now seems to exclude costs related to COVID 19 though.
For cancellation, yes as travel restrictions are fairly likely. However it's not that likely that you catch Covid, so insurers are more prepared to cover that (albeit policies still vary).

Butts

Veteran Member
With regards to this insanity of a test before entering the UK.

If they are going to do it would it not make more sense for it to be a PCR Test then that would negate the need to take a second test after arriving in the UK ?

Kill two birds with one stone and cut out the quarantine ?

duncanp

Established Member
This is ridiculous.

If you have ordered a home PCR test kit, you can send the test kit off without swabbing yourself, no one will be any the wiser.

If you don't send off the test kit at all, you could always say it has been lost in the post, but legally you are "supposed" to self isolate for up to 14 days if your test result is delayed.

This is what is so stupid about it, and it is just a money making scheme for the testing companies.

My PCR test came back negative, but for the day and a half I was in "self isolation" there was no phone call or any kind of follow up from NHS Track & Trace - they simply don't have the resources to keep tabs on everyone, and the government knows this.

KeithMcC

Well that is next week's business trip messed up. Only just booked the flights!
Christmas holiday away isn't looking good either - too much risk of being stranded abroad although I need to go and read the travel insurance.
Headless Chickens comes to mind

island

Veteran Member
What travel insurance should cover and what it actually covers can diverge quite significantly.

Most travel insurance is nowadays either bought as an add-on by tick-box when booking a flight or commoditised and sold via price comparison sites. In the former case, the one provider offered by a given airline or travel provider is selected based on how much commission they will kick back. In the latter, the chance that a provider will be selected if it is not "above the fold" or on the first screen of results is negligible. There are therefore huge competitive pressures to cut out aspects of cover and add restrictions to make sure that your brand is seen in one of those two places, because if it isn't, you won't sell anything. One provider I looked at when last renewing my annual policy expected you to phone them and explain every GP consultation you've had in the past two years, otherwise no medical costs would be covered (even if the issue you were claiming for had nothing to do with any of the consultations).

WestRiding

Were going to Germany next week but not now after boris said we need to test to return to the UK, and we're not exempt from it. Not worth the risk of having to isolate abroad on a positive test result.

This is ridiculous.

Not done my Lateral Flow after returning from Poland last night. They didn't even check Covid Certificate, Proof of having a LFT, or my Passenger Locator form when I arrived at East Midlands Airport, so they can screw. Waste of time and money following the rules, rules they cannot be bothered to enforce, but have changed to be even more difficult with pre departure tests to come home. What is the point in the Vaccination? I have cancelled Germany next week as a result of having to do PCR/LFT before departure home, its just not worth the risk of having to isolate in Germany if my test came back positive. Absolutely sick of it. AND NOBODY HAS DIED FROM THE VARIANT YET. When will people stand up and say enough is enough.

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
Returned from Albania yesterday o/n at Hotel LHR and back up to Edinburgh this morning - and finally into self isolation ;) all legit it's a farce !!

Took my PCR Test and posted it in a priority post box - going back to work Wednesday Night unless I get a Positive Result.

One change I have so far not been inundated (indeed had none) texts from NHS Scotland ?

The Albanians really seem to have an aversion to wearing masks even in Airports. The BA staff spent most of boarding pulling people up for not wearing them/ chin warmers and were handing them out - never seen that before. In the Airport even a lot of the officials were mask less.

To be fair at check in they did check my Vaccination Status and PLF - unlike Germany and Greece.

Will I make it to Turkey next week ?

Butts

Veteran Member
Were going to Germany next week but not now after boris said we need to test to return to the UK, and we're not exempt from it. Not worth the risk of having to isolate abroad on a positive test result.

Not done my Lateral Flow after returning from Poland last night. They didn't even check Covid Certificate, Proof of having a LFT, or my Passenger Locator form when I arrived at East Midlands Airport, so they can screw. Waste of time and money following the rules, rules they cannot be bothered to enforce, but have changed to be even more difficult with pre departure tests to come home. What is the point in the Vaccination? I have cancelled Germany next week as a result of having to do PCR/LFT before departure home, its just not worth the risk of having to isolate in Germany if my test came back positive. Absolutely sick of it. AND NOBODY HAS DIED FROM THE VARIANT YET. When will people stand up and say enough is enough.

Did you beat the deadline for PCR Tests ?

30 Minute delay at UK Border T3 LHR - queue for non- e-gate users was much bigger.

Ridiculous thing half the e-gates were switched off accentuating the problem.

I sailed through with no checks on anything.

Cdd89

Established Member
The 'unpleasant quarantine hotel' stories are emerging again, but I particularly liked the quote at the bottom of this one:

A government spokesman told The Times: [...]
“The majority of passengers who have used the Managed Quarantine Service have been satisfied with the service.”

I wonder if this was on the basis of surveys, or if it is merely a conclusion based on the fact that most people will be too demoralised to raise a complaint.

adc82140

Established Member
50.1% is a majority. So if 49.9% say it's disgraceful, that quote would still be accurate.

duncanp

Established Member
Returned from Albania yesterday o/n at Hotel LHR and back up to Edinburgh this morning - and finally into self isolation ;) all legit it's a farce !!

Took my PCR Test and posted it in a priority post box - going back to work Wednesday Night unless I get a Positive Result.

One change I have so far not been inundated (indeed had none) texts from NHS Scotland ?

I have now had a negative PCR test result after returning from France on Friday.

E-mail confirming negative result was received at 7pm on Saturday, and I was in the pub by 8pm. :D

I haven't been overwhelmed with calls from the NHS (in England) either.

In reality, there is very little chance of you being monitored, as they simply do not have the resources to keep tabs on everyone.

And I was able to travel (legally) on public transport from London to Birmingham on Friday, and use public transport to get to the test centre on Saturday morning. All whilst supposedly "self isolating".

Who else thinks this whole travel testing regime is a right load of ********?

WestRiding

30 Minute delay at UK Border T3 LHR - queue for non- e-gate users was much bigger.

Was able to get back before the PCR test to return requirement comes in. Wasn't too bothered about the test when get back because we both work for Network Rail so exempt from Isolation and only have to do LFT. But for Germany its just not worth (potentially getting a positive PCR test back) and having to isolate abroad. (for which we are not exempt).

The travel industry is ruined, and it looks like our railway will be too when he says to work from home anytime soon. Plan B. Feel duped for having the Vaccination that was supposed to end this rubbish.

Most people.
But nobody is listening. Oh, and I didn't do my LFT on return. Not heard anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.