• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Covid restrictions abroad: updates & observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

takno

Established Member
Have you ever been to Gibraltar ?
I have. Could have kept ourselves entertained for about a day, but it was made tolerable by actually staying and spending half the time in Spain, which isn't on the green list.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Freightmaster

Established Member
Germany has actually allowed arrivals from the UK with no need to register nor self-isolate for over a week now, as it no longer considers the UK a risk area. You still need a test taken in the 48 hours before arrival, but a less expensive antigen test is OK. Of course you need to get 3-4 tests isolate for 5-10 days when you return to the UK...
Hardly conducive to having a relaxing weekend away/short break in a German city through, is it?

So if we take "restriction free" to include mandatory invasive testing which surely must count
as a punitive restriction in anyone's book, the answer to the "where can we go?" part of the
question in the thread title is presumably "nowhere" :(

Would anyone like to hazard a guess as to when that situation (mandatory testing for green
list arrivals) will change - six months from now? nine months? a year?!o_O

MARK

brad465

Established Member
Half of the Green list seems to be places you have to get an RAF organised flight to (i.e. Falklands and other South Atlantic Islands).

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
So despite vaccination and better treatments for covid, it's looking even more onerous to go abroad this year than it was last year when we had no vaccines. Something doesn't add up!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
So despite vaccination and better treatments for covid, it's looking even more onerous to go abroad this year than it was last year when we had no vaccines. Something doesn't add up!

Trying to encourage the money that would be spent abroad being spent over here instead could be a part (but not the only part) of it possibly?
It’s going to be very very busy down here later in the year if it carries on being difficult to go abroad over the next six months.

Butts

Veteran Member

Just be patient (and grateful you don't live in Scotland) this is just the start, things will be back to near normal by The Autumn.

I have. Could have kept ourselves entertained for about a day, but it was made tolerable by actually staying and spending half the time in Spain, which isn't on the green list.

Did you converse with the Apes ? , or were you the only British Tourist there at the time :E

Bantamzen

Established Member
Its pure petty, political theatre and a hangover of Brexit. BoJo and Co are trying desperately to exerte some control over the EU in particular by declaring most countries "unclean". But what they are really going to do is make relations worse, and make people like me wonder why the hell we are having the vaccine in the first place. As usual with this joke of a government, they are cutting off our collective noses to spite our collective faces.

Its pure petty, political theatre and a hangover of Brexit. BoJo and Co are trying desperately to exerte some control over the EU in particular by declaring most countries "unclean". But what they are really going to do is make relations worse, and make people like me wonder why the hell we are having the vaccine in the first place. As usual with this joke of a government, they are cutting off our collective noses to spite our collective faces.
There is that, however, most countries in the EU are still battling with higher rates albeit now falling in most countries so we should see an improvement in time for the summer season. However, it does mean another washout for tourism and the aviation industry which can't really afford this. I remember back in December CAPA issuing forecasts with very quick recoveries based on vaccination, as it stands we could see a worse season than last summer without vaccines!

Smidster

I have to say my main take away from the "Green List" is the level of restriction that we should expect from June 21st.

While you might not have the home quarantine on return you do still have the Passenger Locator Forms, Pre-Flight Test & Day 2 Test as well as obviously having to follow whatever restrictions are in place in the destination country which unless all you are going to do is sit on the beach all day is going to have an impact.

Personally it doesn't appeal at all

But basically - This is the Governments idea of "Restriction Free" travel - in 6 weeks we will see what that looks like domestically.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Hardly conducive to having a relaxing weekend away/short break in a German city through, is it?

So if we take "restriction free" to include mandatory invasive testing which surely must count
as a punitive restriction in anyone's book, the answer to the "where can we go?" part of the
question in the thread title is presumably "nowhere" :(

Would anyone like to hazard a guess as to when that situation (mandatory testing for green
list arrivals) will change - six months from now? nine months? a year?!o_O

MARK
Totally agree. People have mentioned Yellow Fever as a comparison. Do people who have been vaccinated have to prove that they haven't got it before going to one of the countries concerned? Or take another test to prove that they haven't got it before returning home?

Cdd89

Established Member
My prediction is that the government doesn’t want to offer preferential treatment to the vaccinated until the vaccine has been offered to everyone. I would certainly be irritated if U.K. policy discriminated when I haven’t even been offered the vaccine yet! But easing restrictions further on the vaccinated is what I’d predict from July or so.

island

Veteran Member
The full list of 12 countries and territories people in England can travel to without having to quarantine upon return are:
  • Portugal
  • Israel
  • Singapore
  • Australia
  • New Zealand
  • Brunei
  • Iceland
  • Gibraltar
  • Falkland Islands
  • Faroe Islands
  • South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
  • St Helena, Tristan de Cunha, Ascension Island
Some of those will still presumably have their own entry restrictions, such as NZ and Australia?
In practice, only Portugal, Israel, Gibraltar and Iceland, and even these subject to testing, vaccination, isolation on arrival, or a combination.

Ireland, which is de facto green, has a 14-day self-isolation with test before travel and test to release on day 5.

Singapore, Australia, New Zealand and Brunei are not admitting foreigners and applying very onerous restrictions on those few people who are being admitted, and the others cannot be accessed by commercial flights without going via a red-list location.

PTR 444

Established Member
I completely agree that putting countries on the green list is pointless when you can’t travel to them anyway. What there should really be in addition to the red, amber and green lists is an advertised “black list” for countries that aren’t admitting British citizens, regardless of the infection rate there, so that would include Australia and NZ. My idea is that Black list countries should only change to another traffic light colour once they have opened their borders to British citizens.

Cdd89

Established Member
green list is pointless when you can’t travel to them anyway. What there should really be in addition to the red, amber and green lists is an advertised “black list” for countries that aren’t admitting British citizens
One problem there, is that there are various degrees of not admitting British citizens. Ranging from home quarantine, hotel quarantine, certain reasons only, restrictions based on U.K. towns and cities, etc.

Perhaps the view is that “where can I go on holiday” is best handled by the media rather than the government.

Butts

Veteran Member
It's a bit of a case of "hanged if you do........

Whatever they'd done people like me would be moaning not enough and others.....

Give it a couple of months and it will settle down.

Cdd89

Established Member
Give it a couple of months and it will settle down.
Do have a bit of empathy however for those for whom travel is not just "holidays". Plenty of people have been unable to see (often elderly) relatives abroad, and continue to be unable to do so for little good reason at the very moment when it should be safest to see them (both vaccinated).

Yew

Established Member
Germany has actually allowed arrivals from the UK with no need to register nor self-isolate for over a week now, as it no longer considers the UK a risk area. You still need a test taken in the 48 hours before arrival, but a less expensive antigen test is OK. Of course you need to get 3-4 tests isolate for 5-10 days when you return to the UK...
Despite technically being open, it does seem like this definition of open is so prohibitive that it's a mere technicality.

nlogax

Established Member
Took a flight from Heathrow this morning. T5 was particularly depressing..all the shops open but no-one in them. As of mid morning the entire flight schedule for the day filled just a screen and a half of the departure boards. I worry this is how it's going to remain for many more months to come.

Veteran Member
Totally agree. People have mentioned Yellow Fever as a comparison. Do people who have been vaccinated have to prove that they haven't got it before going to one of the countries concerned? Or take another test to prove that they haven't got it before returning home?
No, because Yellow Fever is not transmitted between humans.

Butts

Veteran Member
Took a flight from Heathrow this morning. T5 was particularly depressing..all the shops open but no-one in them. As of mid morning the entire flight schedule for the day filled just a screen and a half of the departure boards. I worry this is how it's going to remain for many more months to come.

Last time I was there I thoroughly enjoyed the experience - this may have been aided by copious quantities of Highland Park in the BA Lounge- Dry till the 17th at the moment unfortunately.

I will be there in a couple of weeks.

My main hope is that the arrival areas will have "no one in them" but I fear from anecdotal evidence that might be the only busy part of the Airport.

packermac

I completely agree that putting countries on the green list is pointless when you can’t travel to them anyway. What there should really be in addition to the red, amber and green lists is an advertised “black list” for countries that aren’t admitting British citizens, regardless of the infection rate there, so that would include Australia and NZ. My idea is that Black list countries should only change to another traffic light colour once they have opened their borders to British citizens.
It is not our governments responsibility to monitor whom other countries let in or not.
That is not done with visas, so why should it be done with this.
Each individual has to ensure they comply with the entry requirements of any foreign country they want to visit. Which is why airlines check things so closely. (When we were getting a strike breaking check in 5 day course compressed to 6 hours, it was really only checking entry requirements that was stressed. Mislabelled bags were just a given and not a concern!)

takno

Established Member
It is not our governments responsibility to monitor whom other countries let in or not.
Each individual has to ensure they comply with the entry requirements of any foreign country they want to visit. Which is why airlines check things so closely. (When we were getting a strike breaking check in 5 day course compressed to 6 hours, it was really only checking entry requirements that was stressed. Mislabelled bags were just a given and not a concern!)
The government provides very comprehensive details of which countries require visas and which don't

packermac

The government provides very comprehensive details of which countries require visas and which don't
Yes but it does not mean you are entitled to one. It is still down to the individual to apply and meet the country you want to visit visa nad health requirements.

nlogax

Established Member
Last time I was there I thoroughly enjoyed the experience - this may have been aided by copious quantities of Highland Park in the BA Lounge- Dry till the 17th at the moment unfortunately.

I will be there in a couple of weeks.

My main hope is that the arrival areas will have "no one in them" but I fear from anecdotal evidence that might be the only busy part of the Airport.

Being desperate for a change of scenery and a decent bacon roll I turned up early to spend a couple of hours in the lounge. Can confirm it was relatively busy, though at the moment First and Club passengers are consolidated into the First lounge for much of the time.

Needless to say it felt like the only part of the terminal with any life in it.

Yew

Established Member
Apart from the entire foreign office travel advice website.

Jonny

Established Member
My own thoughts are that we need the approach of Florida, imposing fines for even asking about vaccination status.

Florida Lawmakers Pass COVID Vaccine ‘Passport’ Ban
By CBSMiami.com TeamApril 29, 2021 at 10:15 pm

TALLAHASSEE (CBSMiami/NSF) – Florida lawmakers gave final approval Thursday night to a bill that would make permanent a ban on COVID-19 vaccine “passports,” while also handing Gov. Ron DeSantis power to override local orders during health crises and directing state agencies to plan for future pandemics.
The Senate and House agreed on the final wording of the wide-ranging emergency measure (SB 2006), after Sen. Jason Pizzo, D-North Miami Beach, tried unsuccessfully to make a change directed at a Miami private school that is reportedly discouraging teachers from getting COVID-19 vaccines as the co-founder cites debunked side effects of vaccines.
(article continues)

and a Ron DeSantis-type figure, stepping up to enforce it. Somewhere closer to the UK than that, is where I would consider right now. Florida seems to be pretty healthy as well, so you have to ask why be bothering at all?

(ICYMI Ron DeSantis is the State Governor of Florida)

I'm not sure, but being expected to take a test before getting home is an off-putter for me. Another thing is being expected to show "compliance", that makes it sound like a character issue rather than public health. Character should not be judged based on whether or not one has declined treatment.

Yew

Established Member
It seems that the French have voted to not allow vaccine passports https://www.20minutes.fr/sante/3040...-vote-surprise-generale-contre-pass-sanitaire

Against all odds, the National Assembly voted Tuesday against the key article of the bill to phase out the state of health emergency. This is the article including the controversial "health pass". The scale leaned against it after the MoDem dropped LREM to protest against the vagueness of the text. MEPs rejected Article 1 by 108 votes to 103. "There was no dialogue and listening" on the "red lines" of the text, within the majority, explained Philippe Latombe (MoDem), stressing the unanimity of his group against the article.

After this surprise rejection, Jean Castex announced on France 2 that the deputies would deliberate again on Tuesday evening in order to "find an agreement with the majority" and "solve this problem".

Animal health powers deemed exorbitant​

The bill to "manage the exit from the health crisis" sets a transition period from 2 June to 31 October during which the government can continue to exercise health animal health powers deemed exorbitant by the opposition and certain defenders of civil liberties.

Article 1 rejected by MEPs was the heart of the text with the possibility for the Prime Minister to continue to take curfew measures until 30 June 2021 inclusive, within a time slot between 9 p.m. and 6 a maximum.m.
(Translated by google YMMV)

Yew

Established Member
So it seems that France has said its either stay in lockdown/curfew conditions or have vaccine passports? If that's the case then I can see the gilet jeunes out in force soon....

PS what does YMMV mean?
Your mileage may vary, indicating that the quality of the translation might not be the most readable to those who are not used to looking at such things regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.