• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Covid restrictions abroad: updates & observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Where does this leave those who are about to turn 18. Everything I have seen says that vaccines are not available to under 18s. Do they have to wait the 2-3 months it takes to become fully vaccinated before they can pass this test again ?
For most previous age-based exemptions (e.g. being able to form a bubble regardless of your household size if you had a child under the age of 1), it has been the age on the date the exemption was introduced that matters. In other words, no-one will cease to be exempt by virtue of becoming a year older.

Of course, this policy could be a simple "those aged under 18" affair.

Equally, and morally more unjustifiably, it doesn't cover those who are 18+ but haven't yet had an opportunity to be double vaccinated.

Bearing in mind that the vaccine was only made available to all 18 year olds on 18 June, even someone who managed to get their first jab on the first possible day wouldn't be able to get a second appointment until 13 August. And wouldn't count as fully vaccinated until 27 August.

And that doesn't do anything for those who turn 18 on, say, 18 July. Who'll, at best, have to wait until 25 September to count as fully vaccinated.

Of course, a bit of age discrimination against those who have, on the large, sacrificed the most for the least personal gain is entirely par for the course.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

robbob700

Where does this leave those who are about to turn 18.
It was announced that in the case of the exemption on isolating for close contacts, they were going to consider people as children up to the age of 18 years and 6 months, to give them a chance to get vaccinated. Whether that will be the case for exemption from quarantine as well remains to be seen.

Cdd89

Established Member
I think it's very urgent that we recognise EU vaccination passports - so much so that I think the programme shouldn't have been launched without it. EU countries currently recognise ours, and it's easy to imagine France cutting up rough about the fact they let us in but we don't let them in, and refusing to recognise our certificates. To be honest, I think we should have done what most places have done and accepted any reasonable proof of vaccination; some people will attempt to enter fraudulently but there can be the threat of checks and that is also true of people lying about their travel history for quarantine/red list countries.

As for the indirect age discrimination angle, I agree but would point out that with this government's approach to travel, and the opposition only demanding "tougher" measures, I think it was this or nothing. I'd rather travel opens up for some and the industry survives for when the under 30's are ready (and I thought this even when it looked like I'd be waiting longer to travel, btw).

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I think it's very urgent that we recognise EU vaccination passports - so much so that I think the programme shouldn't have been launched without it. EU countries currently recognise ours, and it's easy to imagine France cutting up rough about the fact they let us in but we don't let them in, and refusing to recognise our certificates. To be honest, I think we should have done what most places have done and accepted any reasonable proof of vaccination; some people will attempt to enter fraudulently but there can be the threat of checks and that is also true of people lying about their travel history for quarantine/red list countries.

As for the indirect age discrimination angle, I agree but would point out that with this government's approach to travel, and the opposition only demanding "tougher" measures, I think it was this or nothing. I'd rather travel opens up for some and the industry survives for when the under 30's are ready (and I thought this even when it looked like I'd be waiting longer to travel, btw).
I think they could have opened up amber-list travel sooner on this basis, so long as there was some 'compensation' for those who were not yet eligible for the jab. For example, making the day 2 and 8 PCR tests free of charge.

Ultimately these are the kinds of issues with anything based on vaccination status. It is inherently intended to be a form of discrimination. On the other hand, the same can be said of measures, such as blanket quarantine, which target everyone equally regardless of risk.

It's not an easy one; out of everything the government has got wrong, I think this is possibly among the issues they can be 'forgiven' for most.

Butts

Veteran Member
My perspective is quarantine is a much bigger hurdle. Tests are not too difficult if the price isn't crazy.

The travel industry agrees too.
Quote - 'Travel industry reaction to vaccination vacations: mainly "about time, too" plus a chorus of "now get rid of these expensive tests".'

If there is no need to be tested then you certainly won't have to quarantine.

Return from Europe for vaccinated travellers should be like coming back from the CTA with no restrictions at all.

Last edited:

DelayRepay

Established Member
For most previous age-based exemptions (e.g. being able to form a bubble regardless of your household size if you had a child under the age of 1), it has been the age on the date the exemption was introduced that matters. In other words, no-one will cease to be exempt by virtue of becoming a year older.

Of course, this policy could be a simple "those aged under 18" affair.

Equally, and morally more unjustifiably, it doesn't cover those who are 18+ but haven't yet had an opportunity to be double vaccinated.

Bearing in mind that the vaccine was only made available to all 18 year olds on 18 June, even someone who managed to get their first jab on the first possible day wouldn't be able to get a second appointment until 13 August. And wouldn't count as fully vaccinated until 27 August.

In the short term people turning 18 will be disadvantaged unless the legislation takes account of this 'quirk'. I doubt the government would deliberately want to cause this situation but we'll have to see how careful they are in drafting the SI.

I suspect the decision was made in haste due to pressure from the travel industry, and as an 'incentive' to encourage vaccine uptake, so they probably haven't worked through all the practicalities yet. The new rules take effect from 19 July so I expect all will become clear at about 23:49 on 18 July when the legislation is published!

island

Veteran Member
Where does this leave those who are about to turn 18. Everything I have seen says that vaccines are not available to under 18s. Do they have to wait the 2-3 months it takes to become fully vaccinated before they can pass this test again ?
At the moment, they are buggered.

Separately, NI has announced it will follow the same approach as England on this matter, albeit a week later from 26•JLY•21.

LAX54

Established Member
I think they could have opened up amber-list travel sooner on this basis, so long as there was some 'compensation' for those who were not yet eligible for the jab. For example, making the day 2 and 8 PCR tests free of charge.

Ultimately these are the kinds of issues with anything based on vaccination status. It is inherently intended to be a form of discrimination. On the other hand, the same can be said of measures, such as blanket quarantine, which target everyone equally regardless of risk.

It's not an easy one; out of everything the government has got wrong, I think this is possibly among the issues they can be 'forgiven' for most.
It is all very well opening up Amber Countries, but quite a few still have a bar on UK residents, or anyone who has been in the UK in the previous 14 days

johncrossley

Established Member
What's the situation for travelling to Ireland from the 19th? Can we go there without tests or quarantine?

island

Veteran Member
What's the situation for travelling to Ireland from the 19th? Can we go there without tests or quarantine?
ROI hasn‘t put through legislation yet but the intent is that fully vaccinated travellers from the UK will be exempted from quarantine from then but will still require pre-departure RTPCR tests.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
At the moment, if travelling in directly from Great Britain you must have a negative PCR test before travelling, and then quarantine for 14 days. You can finish quarantine sooner if you test negative with a PCR test on day 10 (or later), or if you are fully vaccinated then on day 5 (or later). These post-arrival tests are free of charge for foreign residents.

Those arriving from Northern Ireland don't have to comply with any of that; I would imagine there is a roaring trade in transit via Northern Ireland...

johncrossley

Established Member
Those arriving from Northern Ireland don't have to comply with any of that; I would imagine there is a roaring trade in transit via Northern Ireland...

I've been looking at flights from London to Belfast and they seem a lot more expensive going there than coming back for the next two or three weeks, suggesting that people are going to Belfast as a loophole whereas going from Dublin to London requires no tests or quarantine even now so there is less reason to travel through Belfast towards London.

berneyarms

Established Member
At the moment, if travelling in directly from Great Britain you must have a negative PCR test before travelling, and then quarantine for 14 days. You can finish quarantine sooner if you test negative with a PCR test on day 10 (or later), or if you are fully vaccinated then on day 5 (or later). These post-arrival tests are free of charge for foreign residents.

Given that indoor dining is still not allowed in Ireland I really doubt that is actually happening.

Ireland is still not fully open for business yet. At the moment talks are ongoing with the hospitality industry about how to proceed safely with the reopening of indoor dining businesses, with a rumoured date of 26th July being mentioned.

I've been looking at flights from London to Belfast and they seem a lot more expensive going there than coming back for the next two or three weeks, suggesting that people are going to Belfast as a loophole whereas going from Dublin to London requires no tests or quarantine even now so there is less reason to travel through Belfast towards London.
There never was a requirement for people flying from Ireland to GB to test or quarantine.

However until 19th July it remains illegal for Irish citizens resident in the State to travel outside of the island of Ireland for anything other than essential reasons.

Watch www.gov.ie over the next week and click on the public health restrictions section to see what the legal position is.

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
At the moment, they are buggered.

Separately, NI has announced it will follow the same approach as England on this matter, albeit a week later from 26•JLY•21.

I was in Belfast last weekend and it was rammed, full of people from the South according to anecdotal evidence. They come up for a drink and a meal.

Some of the Pubs were open till 1am so they seem to be ahead of the rest of the UK (or certainly Scotland) in that respect.

Filthy McNasties on The Dublin Road and the other hostelries were well patronised.

berneyarms

Established Member
I was in Belfast last weekend and it was rammed, full of people from the South according to anecdotal evidence. They come up for a drink and a meal.

Some of the Pubs were open till 1am so they seem to be ahead of the rest of the UK (or certainly Scotland) in that respect.

Filthy McNasties on The Dublin Road and the other hostelries were well patronised.
As I posted above, given that pubs, cafes and restaurants in Ireland cannot serve indoors, there is a sizeable number of people who are travelling to NI to avail of the option there.

Although that might be a little quieter over the next few days given the time of year!

Richard Scott

Established Member

At least it's boosting the UK economy!

Butts

Veteran Member
As I posted above, given that pubs, cafes and restaurants in Ireland cannot serve indoors, there is a sizeable number of people who are travelling to NI to avail of the option there.

Although that might be a little quieter over the next few days given the time of year!

Yes I saw the pallets piled up for the bonfires - one near The Europa Bus Station on waste land.

LAX54

Established Member
Anyone who booked a holiday based on the Traffic Light system 2 weeks ago.................

Ibiza, Majorca and Menorca are being moved onto the government's amber travel list.
The Balearic Islands will be on the list from 04:00 BST on Monday, just over a fortnight after they were moved onto the green watchlist.
The announcement applies to England, but the other UK nations are expected to follow suit.
From Monday, those not double-jabbed or under 18 have to quarantine on returning from an amber list country.

TravelDream

Ibiza, Majorca and Menorca are being moved onto the government's amber travel list.
The Balearic Islands will be on the list from 04:00 BST on Monday, just over a fortnight after they were moved onto the green watchlist.

Look at the case numbers for Spain. This is no surprise at all.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Anyone who booked a holiday based on the Traffic Light system 2 weeks ago.................

The announcement applies to England, but the other UK nations are expected to follow suit.
From Monday, those not double-jabbed or under 18 have to quarantine on returning from an amber list country.
But of course no quarantine for anyone vaccinated or under 18 due to the amber list rule changes that come into effect on Monday.

Jamiescott1

Currently in menorca. Return on 19th.
Booked return for 19h as the traffic light system was implemented early morning on the Tuesday following the announcement. This time its implemented on the Monday following the announcement.

19th will be exactly 2 weeks since I recieved my 2nd vaccine so thankfully no changes for me

Butts

Veteran Member
Good news for those in Scotland planning a trip abroad.

BA's Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen Lounges due to reopen on Monday. :E

LAX54

Established Member
Currently in menorca. Return on 19th.
Booked return for 19h as the traffic light system was implemented early morning on the Tuesday following the announcement. This time its implemented on the Monday following the announcement.

19th will be exactly 2 weeks since I recieved my 2nd vaccine so thankfully no changes for me
For arrivals after 0400 Monday 19th.

TravelDream

Due to arrive at 7pm

The choices people have are:
a) to re-book their flight to land before 4am on the 19th (i.e. on the 15-18th)
b) to come back on their booked flight and pay for tests on days 2 and 8 and quarantine for 10 days (or 5 if they pay for an extra test and release test).
c) if they have received both vaccine doses in the UK, to wait it out until they are 14 days post-vaccination.

You are really lucky to meet the vaccine one. Others will be rushing right now to book flights which have shot up in price.

I had a quick look at Ryanair. On Sunday a single flight from Palma to London without baggage or priority boarding costs between €266 (for the 6am flight) and €361. A family of four will be paying well over £1000 when you add bags for that first flight and closer to £1500 for the more expensive one.
During the week after, they have the same flights from €15...
(Not to pick on Ryanair. Every airline will do the same).

LAX54

Established Member
The choices people have are:
a) to re-book their flight to land before 4am on the 19th (i.e. on the 15-18th)
b) to come back on their booked flight and pay for tests on days 2 and 8 and quarantine for 10 days (or 5 if they pay for an extra test and release test).
c) if they have received both vaccine doses in the UK, to wait it out until they are 14 days post-vaccination.

You are really lucky to meet the vaccine one. Others will be rushing right now to book flights which have shot up in price.

I had a quick look at Ryanair. On Sunday a single flight from Palma to London without baggage or priority boarding costs between €266 (for the 6am flight) and €361. A family of four will be paying well over £1000 when you add bags for that first flight and closer to £1500 for the more expensive one.
During the week after, they have the same flights from €15...
(Not to pick on Ryanair. Every airline will do the same).
So if you had your 2nd jab 14 days to the day that the Country turns red, and that is the day you come home, if you had the jab at say 2pm, but the rule comes in at 4am....are you covered, or is that 13 days, as you have not actually done the 14 days in full ?
Or be on the safe side and, if you can, add a day or two to the holiday :)

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
So if you had your 2nd jab 14 days to the day that the Country turns red, and that is the day you come home, if you had the jab at say 2pm, but the rule comes in at 4am....are you covered, or is that 13 days, as you have not actually done the 14 days in full ?
It will depend on the wording of the Regulations, which are yet to be published.

I would expect it will be based on the date of your vaccination, and it being at least 14 days after that date, rather than a precise period of 336 hours.

TravelDream

The no quarantine if vaccinated thing only applies to amber list countries.
On what constitutes 14 days, I am not sure it has been publicly released yet. I suspect Watershed is right.

It will definitely work out better for those who get their second vaccine in the UK and then spend a week to ten days in an amber list country to just wait it out there rather than quarnatine for ten days back in the UK.

Yew

Established Member
This system really is just the personification of Chaos, we need to find something that doesn't systemically cause disruption; or even better, get rid of it altogether.

kristiang85

Established Member
So apparently in Portugal to get into hotels or restaurants you need an EU COVID vaccination pass or a negative COVID test. The NHS pass is not recognised. I don't really fancy two weeks of sticking sticks up my nose, so I might change my flights elsewhere.

Romania looks good - about 1 case per 100,000 people, still amber list so flights are quite cheap, entry is just the NHS vaccination proof and no PCR even though we are on the red list, and we can still have a decent wine, food and history holiday.

Status
Not open for further replies.