• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wherry lines resignalling postponed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dk1

Veteran Member
Anyone know if next week's blockade is still going ahead, and if so will it get rid of the 30mph restriction between Buckenham and Cantley?
Would be nice to think the restriction would be removed during the block but passing through today there is no evidence of any works in that area. I think they have enough to do elsewhere.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trainfan344

Established Member
From a look at the timetable for rail replacement buses, Lowestoft gets an hourly service with the occasional extras thrown in as extensions to/from Yarmouth - Norwich buses. Acle, Reedham and Cantley get a replacement bus servies between all three, and in an exceptional piece of planning, passengers from Reedham and Cantley arrive at Acle 5 minutes after the replacement bus to Norwich has departed with a 55 minute wait until the next bus.

38Cto15E

Perhaps 9 days rest will mean the short set can have a wash and brush up, I could hardly see out of the windows 3 weeks ago.
I still love it though and will be down again on the 2nd for a couple of days.
FWIW I stay at Lowestoft there are a couple of B&B's not far from the station which are good value, then an early start for the 0747 Lowestoft-Norwich.

BS56

Just read that Reedham junction signal box has indeed closed on 23 March and Cantley was reduced to a got box on the same date. I was told Reedham box might be going to the mid-Norfolk I think ? What else was done during the shut down?

dk1

Veteran Member
Just read that Reedham junction signal box has indeed closed on 23 March and Cantley was reduced to a got box on the same date. I was told Reedham box might be going to the mid-Norfolk I think ? What else was done during the shut down?
Brundall & the Junction was remodelled & some track relaying done. Preperation work for CCTV crossing undertaken too.

TheEdge

Established Member
Quite sad today doing my first train through Reedham, it all looks quite naked without its signals and the box itself looks very sad all boarded up, surrounded by felled signals. Hopefully rumours of its future are true though.

dk1

Veteran Member
Anyone know if next week's blockade is still going ahead, and if so will it get rid of the 30mph restriction between Buckenham and Cantley?
To give you an update on that speed restriction. Network Rail have informed GA that this will remain in place until that section is relayed. Sadly that is not planned to happen until February 2020.

Colin1501

A couple of questions about the changes at Reedham Junction and Cantley. At the former, is Reedham Swing Bridge's motor worked down distant still in place, on the post that also carried Junction's section signal? With the downgrading of Cantley to a gate box, have any signals been removed, eg, up starter, down starter and advanced starter? Is the down home with its co-acting arms still in place. Grateful for any info.

BS56

Is Reedhams new down colour light a distant or is it a stop signal ? and is it on the correct side of the track or not .

BS56

This signal was put there last year and was very likely intended to be the distant for Reedhams new starting signal with route indicator. Of course it is a lot further out then it need be but that is not really a problem. Will there be a new down colour light stop signal protecting the swing bridge instead of the semaphore ?

pdeaves

Established Member
This signal was put there last year and was very likely intended to be the distant for Reedhams new starting signal with route indicator. Of course it is a lot further out then it need be but that is not really a problem. Will there be a new down colour light stop signal protecting the swing bridge instead of the semaphore ?
I overlooked RB5 on the plan. This is a mechanical stop signal on the right of the line at 12m 51ch, just after the junction for Berney Arms (but, by the looks of things, applying to that route as well if it were open). RB6 is an existing, unchanged semaphore protecting the swing bridge.

Tio Terry

Just out of (personal) interest, does anyone know if there is a new cable route crossing the river at Reedham? The cable that was there when I worked in the area dated from 1847 and is/was a composite cable meaning it did not have pairs as per a standard telecoms type cable but separate wires. This led to problems with crosstalk between telephone circuits using the cable. With all the resignalling and colour light signals I'm guessing that a new cable has had to be provided? I believe that the 1847 cable was/is probably the oldest cable still in regular use on the entire Network - Somerleyton is a couple of years newer. Anyone know of anything older still in regular use?

Colin1501

Brundall & the Junction was remodelled & some track relaying done. Preperation work for CCTV crossing undertaken too.

Are semaphores still in use at Brundall following the recent work, or are the new colour-lights worked from the existing box?

dk1

Veteran Member
Are semaphores still in use at Brundall following the recent work, or are the new colour-lights worked from the existing box?
All semaphores still operational except the ground signals involved with the crossover near the gates that has been removed.

LAX54

Established Member
Reedham Bridge, as I understand it, the motorised distant was removed, and replaced with a home signal arm, as others have said the distant for this......is very distant ! :)

BS56

If I understand correctly Reedham swing bridge now has both inner and outer home signals in the down direction.

Colin1501

If I understand correctly Reedham swing bridge now has both inner and outer home signals in the down direction.

So, in effect, what was Reedham Junction's section signal (with Reedham Swing Bridge's distant beneath) has become the outer home for Reedham Swing Bridge.

dk1

Veteran Member
So, in effect, what was Reedham Junction's section signal (with Reedham Swing Bridge's distant beneath) has become the outer home for Reedham Swing Bridge.
Ironically though & most likely for signalling simplicity, the home arm has been placed in the lower distant position on the post.

Colin1501

Ironically though & most likely for signalling simplicity, the home arm has been placed in the lower distant position on the post.
Presumably so it can be driven by the motor that previously worked the distant arm?

LAX54

Established Member
Presumably so it can be driven by the motor that previously worked the distant arm?

Yes, saved a lot of rejigging of the interlocking, I am guessing that will be cleared like the old distant was, and the 'new' colour light distant, linked into the circuit on a temp basis, the point detection I think has been done as they did with the BFC and currently Trimley loop, wired into a track circuit, so if the track 'fails' there are special instructions to cover the eventuality.

BS56

That's a nice gentle curve they have put in there have you taken any photos looking back the other way ? I assume there will be a new down colour light protecting the swing bridge just around the bend when the new signalling is commissioned later this year ?

dk1

Veteran Member
That's a nice gentle curve they have put in there have you taken any photos looking back the other way ? I assume there will be a new down colour light protecting the swing bridge just around the bend when the new signalling is commissioned later this year ?
The curve is still the same and 20mph. Don't think there will be anymore signals until Haddiscoe/Yarmouth.

dk1

Veteran Member
Is there any signalling at Haddiscoe? Thought the next would be at Somerleyton?
Signals have appeared on the up at Haddiscoe. Will check down road this afternoon as I can't say I've noticed it yet. Up road just after Haddiscoe platform is a rather tall colour light.

BS56

Somerleyton is at least six miles from Reedham . At present a train can be detained at the signal protecting the swing bridge thus keeping the junction clear for following trains .If they do not intend to renew it then there must be down signals near Haddiscoe to break up this long section ?

dk1

Veteran Member
Somerleyton is at least six miles from Reedham . At present a train can be detained at the signal protecting the swing bridge thus keeping the junction clear for following trains .If they do not intend to renew it then there must be down signals near Haddiscoe to break up this long section ?
Looks to be no signal being installed before Reedham Swing Bridge on the down curve so yes, should there be problems the Lowestoft service will have to go to Yarmouth, return to Norwich or block the line at Reedham. There are no signals until just before Somerleyton Swing Bridge however this beanstalk has been provided at Haddiscoe on the up possibly to hold trains there if there are problems up ahead with Reedham Swing Bridge.

Attachments

• 20190417_162031.jpg
    20190417_162031.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 78
Status
Not open for further replies.