• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wherry lines resignalling postponed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BS56

This new signal at Haddiscoe is not without interest . It is to a older design complete with ladder and safety hoops a work platform around the signal head with railings. There is also what looks like a white diamond plate near the bottom not often seen these days.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tio Terry

This new signal at Haddiscoe is not without interest . It is to a older design complete with ladder and safety hoops a work platform around the signal head with railings. There is also what looks like a white diamond plate near the bottom not often seen these days.

Safety hoops are required above 3 M, but this one appears to be no more than 2m. Don't see a diamond but there might be an SPT. Seems a long way from Reedham Swing Bridge, at line speed if you shut off there you would be lucky to reach the swing bridge!

I guess time will tell!

dk1

Veteran Member
Safety hoops are required above 3 M, but this one appears to be no more than 2m. Don't see a diamond but there might be an SPT. Seems a long way from Reedham Swing Bridge, at line speed if you shut off there you would be lucky to reach the swing bridge!

I guess time will tell!
It's a stop signal. It has a repeater/distant around half mile before the station.

BS56

If you enlarge the photo the diamond plate is visible covered in black plastic. This signal looks like a bespoke design for this location most of the others are the new design without ladders which can fold down and are of the multi-colour LED type this one looks like it has two lens I could be wrong though.

It makes sense to have a signal there so that people can get off at the station in case of problems further up the line but I feel sure I saw the back of a new signal close to the swing bridge at Reedham last year although it might be a distant for the junction ?

Tio Terry

If you enlarge the photo the diamond plate is visible covered in black plastic. This signal looks like a bespoke design for this location most of the others are the new design without ladders which can fold down and are of the multi-colour LED type this one looks like it has two lens I could be wrong though.

It makes sense to have a signal there so that people can get off at the station in case of problems further up the line but I feel sure I saw the back of a new signal close to the swing bridge at Reedham last year although it might be a distant for the junction ?

They have managed for ever so many years without a signal there!

Still, it sounds as if it will increase the lines capacity a bit.

LAX54

Established Member
YL8376 on the Up at Haddiscoe, and YL8365 on the Down.

BS56

They might be. The water boards site is sandwiched between the railway and the river with no other access so if there is a increase in road traffic putting in signals here seems like a good idea . But when you see the way the crossing adjoins the road leading to the station then any upgrade to barriers might be not a good idea and are best left as they are !

LAX54

Established Member
8365 is Somerleyton side of Haddiscoe, as far as I can see the protecting signal for both the Bridge and Haddiscoe will be at Reedham Jct !

Attachments

• nyl.png
    nyl.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 75

dk1

Veteran Member
8365 is Somerleyton side of Haddiscoe, as far as I can see the protecting signal for both the Bridge and Haddiscoe will be at Reedham Jct !
Thought so mate. There are no signals installed between Reedham & Somerleytons distant. Just this tall fellow on the up between the station & River Board with the associated distant.

That's an interesting diagram, so River Board becomes a bi-directional MSL crossing.

By any chance, are you able/willing to share the rest of the diagram?
Thanks

LAX54

Established Member
That's an interesting diagram, so River Board becomes a bi-directional MSL crossing.

By any chance, are you able/willing to share the rest of the diagram?
Thanks

This seems fairly accurate. (from signalmaps)

Attachments

• wherry.png
    wherry.png
    15 KB · Views: 68
Thanks for the pointer to signalmaps, there's also a more detailed diagram that includes all the signals and crossings/types, but unfortunateley it does not include the signal numbers. [Updated by Shwam3 to show signal numbers - see below]

https://signalmaps.co.uk/sig/NYL.sim.png

Last edited:

BS56

I had seen that signalmaps diagram a while back but it is a fairly early version I suspect, that's why I wanted to hear if there had been any recent additions or changes but it looks like they are sticking to it.
So there will not be any down signals protecting the water board crossing after all . Just on the up as far as we know. The problem of the long section to Somerleyton also applies to Great Yarmouth as well with no section signals of any sort at Reedham. Talking of which there will be no advanced starters/section signals in the up direction at Great Yarmouth this could make running round tricky! unless locos are to be signalled into the carriage sidings.

LAX54

Established Member
Just looking at the Up Acle, with the CCTV at Chapel, the barriers will be down for quite some time in order to get a green at the distant, and then followed by the Station Stop.

TheEdge

Established Member
Just looking at the Up Acle, with the CCTV at Chapel, the barriers will be down for quite some time in order to get a green at the distant, and then followed by the Station Stop.

Not sure it'll be much different to how long it is now. We already get a green at the Up Distant into Lingwood, which isn't far from the new distant.

dk1

Veteran Member
Similar to now then. Chapel & station get the gates as soon as Acle or Brundall gives 'on'.

I've just updated the detailed diagram on the website, use this link https://signalmaps.co.uk/sig/NYL.sim.png?r=2019-04-22.
It now has signal numbers and I've updated it to the latest plans I have from Network Rail, however the only major change is the workstation boundary near Cantley.

Thanks for the update, I and I'm sure others will appreciate having access to your diagram of the resignalling.
Kevin

Colin1501

As others have pointed out, the new arrangements seem to provide no flexibility at all. If a down Lowestoft train is held at Reedham for some reason, it will be impossible for a following train to access the Yarmouth line. There looks to be a similar situation in the down direction at Brundall, which currently has section signals beyond the junction on both routes.

BS56

I have recently found out the purpose of the up only signals at Haddiscoe station. It is to do with the river board level crossing which is to be converted to miniature stop lamps. The controls on the signals and LC are much the same as a AHB crossing where there is a LC at the end of the platform. It just means people waiting to use the LC are not kept waiting any longer then necessary when a up stopping passenger train is approaching the station. Signals are not needed on the down line.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.