• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which abandoned station would be most useful today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladder23

Established Member
Please state which you feel would be and why, should make a interesting read this evening.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CatfordCat

York Road is in an area that has seen a lot of development over the last few years...

Busaholic

Veteran Member
British Museum might relieve some of the Holborn overcrowding.

deltic

Established Member
Kensington Olympia (Addison Rd as was ) to Latimer Rd - would provide link into Paddington from an area with a lot of development

LUYMun

Some suggestions:
1. The area around Aldwych is more popular (due to tourism) since the 90s, so reopening Aldwych might be useful.
2. Not abandoned, but services north of Harrow & Wealdstone could be resumed by the Underground.
3. Some discussion that Lord's should be reopened in order to serve the nearby cricket grounds so that passengers can have less of a walk than from Swiss Cotage (Jubilee)

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Some suggestions:
1. The area around Aldwych is more popular (due to tourism) since the 90s, so reopening Aldwych might be useful.
2. Not abandoned, but services north of Harrow & Wealdstone could be resumed by the Underground.
3. Some discussion that Lord's should be reopened in order to serve the nearby cricket grounds so that passengers can have less of a walk than from Swiss Cotage (Jubilee)
St John's Wood is much nearer Lords than Swiss Cottage!

TRAX

Established Member
I’m not sure it would be the most useful but I wonder how Aldwych would do now

LUYMun

I wonder how Aldwych would do now
I think Aldwych wouldn't manage past the year 2000 if it kept open because of the maintenance costs. If they were repaired, there would be a modern lift in its place (like the ones at Covent Garden) and be pointless, therefore LT/TfL would lose money for nothing.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Some suggestions:
Does the 4th rail exist North of Harrow & Wealdstone?

LUYMun

Brill and Verney Junction!
Verney Junction has a sparsely populated area, like typical Buckinghamshire. Plus, it's too far away from Baker Street, let alone Amersham or Aylesbury. The proposed East-West Rail will reopen a bit of the line the Met ran on but not Verney Junction itself. The same goes for Brill.

W-on-Sea

Established Member
York Road, I think. Such major redevelopment of the area around it - it's now a destination in its own right, as it was not so much before.

LUYMun

Kensington Olympia (Addison Rd as was ) to Latimer Rd - would provide link into Paddington from an area with a lot of development
I think that probably after some reconstruction of the Kensington Olympia and Latimer Road areas, the Circle line could take over District line services and go in one direction via the Kensington Olympia branch depending on which period of day it is. For instance, during the AM peak Circle line trains travelling clockwise to Edgware Road could go via Kensington Olympia and then anti-clockwise from Edgware Road via Bayswater, and vice versa in the PM peak. That way, there'll be a balance of frequent services to avoid overcrowding for the District line, especially the Bayswater branch.

su31

City Road - as there's a plethora of new developments between Old Street & Angel stations. Old Street is operating over capacity now, before the new apartments have even opened.

bramling

Veteran Member
City Road - as there's a plethora of new developments between Old Street & Angel stations. Old Street is operating over capacity now, before the new apartments have even opened.

City Road would be amongst the more difficult ones to re-open. The platforms were never extended so are barely half the required length, and there’s just one lift shaft and a spiral staircase, with narrow passages and stairs to the platform ends. It would likely need a virtually complete rebuilding from scratch.

I tend to agree with the view that York Road would be a viable candidate. The platforms are the right length, and the lift shafts come down to the platforms so there’s ready step-free access. Out of all of them it’s probably the one most likely, or least unlikely, to re-open.

Mikey C

Established Member

Agreed. Leaving aside practical considerations, the area has been transformed in recent years. The resiting of Angel around the corner added to the "gap" between it and Old Street

ijmad

Established Member
I think Aldwych wouldn't manage past the year 2000 if it kept open because of the maintenance costs. If they were repaired, there would be a modern lift in its place (like the ones at Covent Garden) and be pointless, therefore LT/TfL would lose money for nothing.

I think if you put a new station box under Strand or Melbourne Place it could be a useful station for the many office workers on Kingsway. The existing entrance is less useful, but might be kept for step free access with lifts.

No point in running the Piccadilly Line to it though, it's already busy enough. There was a vague idea of a DLR extension from Bank to Victoria that would re-use some of the disused parts of Aldwych and Charing Cross Jubilee, would be cool, although doubt we'll see that any time before 2040-2050.

simple simon

I agree with York Road.

The Northern Heights route to Alexandra Palace via Finsbury Park, Highgate (HL) and Muswell Hill would benefit far more people if it was reopened than in its present-day guise as a walkway. It could still feed into Moorgate tube station via Highbury & Islington, as was planned before WW2. In steam train days its London terminii were Kings Cross, Moorgate (Metropolitan Widened Lines) and Broad Street via Dalston Junction.

Another station that would be nice, but only from the point of view of a transport enthusiast, is Lothbury. This was planned as the city terminus of the deep level Great Northern route Moorgate - Highbury & Islington - Finsbury Park. The attraction of this station is that it was going to be so close to Moorgate (what nowadays are platforms 9 & 10) that a train travelling between Moorgate and Lothbury would actually have had one end in each station!

Outside of London there are many candidates for this thread. These include the entire Great Central route to Manchester would would have formed a fantastic core for a very high speed line.

xotGD

Established Member
What a coincidence - yesterday I had to walk from Holborn down to Aldwych in the freezing cold and was wishing that I could have stayed on the tube.

ijmad

Established Member
What a coincidence - yesterday I had to walk from Holborn down to Aldwych in the freezing cold and was wishing that I could have stayed on the tube.

There is pretty strong demand across Waterloo bridge, via Aldwych and up Kingsway to Holborn. Huge number of busses up and down this route. You could likely reduce a lot of air pollution with some sort of electric transport, whether it's an underground route, or a tram, or something...

adamedwards

I agree with York Road.

The Northern Heights route to Alexandra Palace via Finsbury Park, Highgate (HL) and Muswell Hill would benefit far more people if it was reopened than in its present-day guise as a walkway. It could still feed into Moorgate tube station via Highbury & Islington, as was planned before WW2. In steam train days its London terminii were Kings Cross, Moorgate (Metropolitan Widened Lines) and Broad Street via Dalston Junction.
Sharpens crayon....I've often thought a Picadilly line anti clockwise loop leaving the line north of Manor Park and then circling back to Finsbury Park via Muswell Hill would be really good. Opens up this area to the tube but as single track saves costs. The the service could run as Cockfosters-Heathrow and Muswell Hill-Rayners Lane. Possible interchange with GOBLIN at Crouch Hill. What's not to like?

LUYMun

The Northern Heights route to Alexandra Palace via Finsbury Park, Highgate (HL) and Muswell Hill would benefit far more people if it was reopened than in its present-day guise as a walkway. It could still feed into Moorgate tube station via Highbury & Islington, as was planned before WW2.

Just a bit concerned: if this route was built, wouldn't there be a bit of a congestion for Greater Northern trains from WGC/Hertford?

Another station that would be nice, but only from the point of view of a transport enthusiast, is Lothbury. This was planned as the city terminus of the deep level Great Northern route Moorgate - Highbury & Islington - Finsbury Park. The attraction of this station is that it was going to be so close to Moorgate (what nowadays are platforms 9 & 10) that a train travelling between Moorgate and Lothbury would actually have had one end in each station!

By looking at the coordinates of the Wikipedia page, Lothbury seems very close to Bank station, so it's just going to be a few more platforms for Bank, or a mega station that connects Bank and Monument.

ijmad

Established Member
Bank-Monument-Moorgate-Liverpool Street — the only rival to Euston-King's Cross-St. Pancras!

You forgot Cannon Street, it's so close to the new Bank entrances it might as well be CanonStreet-Bank-Monument-Moorgate-LiverpoolStreet

jopsuk

Veteran Member
York Road would seem to be the one hat can be done without major operational issues, without major construction works and that would serve an area that when the station was closed had low demand, but now has high demand

Down Street and Brompton Road?

Status
Not open for further replies.