• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which app allows me to buy an open ticket without having to state which train I will be using?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweetjesus

I am aware that some TOCs require a reservation, I mostly use XC, Avanti, WMR/LNWR and TfW - I don't think these TOCs require a reservation.

Today I wanted to buy a day return between Birmingham and Bristol. I used XC trains app not realising they only allow you to buy a ticket if there's capacity in their trains. If there's no capacity, they will not allow you to buy a ticket.

This left me being unable to buy a ticket for a train departing in 8 minutes. Thankfully a ticket machine was nearby which allowed me to buy a ticket without selecting a specific train.

When I got in the train, the train was quite empty (even accounting for the reduced capacity due to COVID-19 and the need to social distance).

So, I would like to avoid getting into the same situation again. Does anyone know of a mobile app that allows me to buy a ticket without specifying which train I need to use?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sweetjesus

Gwr website allows you to do what you're after.

So mixing deck is what I should be looking for?

I checked their app, it seems like they don't offer a method to buy a ticket without selecting a train. I know their website does that but I'd like an app instead.

Thanks for the recommendation

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
So mixing deck is what I should be looking for?

I checked their app, it seems like they don't offer a method to buy a ticket without selecting a train. I know their website does that but I'd like an app instead.

Thanks for the recommendation
The answer is that there isn't an app that lets you do what you are looking. Mixingdeck is the closest you get, and that's only available as a website.

skyhigh

Established Member
Assuming you select another train with an applicable ticket for the train you actually want to travel on (I.e. off-peak or peak rather than an advance), you don't have to select the train you're actually travelling on when buying a ticket.

You obviously won't get a reservation for the train you actually want to travel on, but if one isn't required that isn't a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.