• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which British city should host Eurovision 2023?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howardh

Established Member
Pretty well out of the bag that the BBC has been offered Eurovision Song Contest 2023 as there's no chance of it being held in Ukraine. I think the BBC will accept. Putting the argument as to who should fund it to one side (maybe another thread?) I'm more interested in the logistics, and where exactly it could be held in the UK.

Clearly we have venues big enough, hey they could even close the roof at Wembley, but outside London? Brighton's been used before (ABBA) and has the hotel space etc, but is the Pavilion large enough nowadays?

What about Scotland? Anyhow...where would you like it to be held (allowing space for those who say "as far away as possible...Neptune??")? If it were in or near Manchester I'd absolutely try to grab a ticket. Manchester Arena would be in with a shout?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thenorthern

Established Member
From what I understand Cardiff has always been the city that would host Eurovision if the United Kingdom ever won as Wales hasn't hosted anything major recently and it has the Millennium Stadium with it's retractable roof, I think Cardiff seems like the most likely venue.

I wouldn't rule out it being hosted in Belfast although the uncertain political situation in Northern Ireland and the relatively small size of the Odyssey arena may prevent that happening.

Time have changed a lot since we last hosted as back then it was mostly held in music halls and theatres now it's mostly stadiums and large arenas.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Well whenever it is hosted I'm going if it's hosted in Britain. Given that we haven't won in years and haven't done so well in just as many years I see this as a once-in-a-lifetime experience that I must partake in

Altrincham

I had read somewhere that it could possibly be held wherever the Year of Culture is for 2023.

It definitely needs to be an arena-type venue.

I would love to go and see it if the UK are hosting it in 2023.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I'll have to try and think of the city I most dislike, if not actively hate, and suggest that they get to host it. :)

gabrielhj07

Hopefully the situation in Ukraine improves, but if it is to be held in the UK I think we can rule out London? Would be seen as too focused on the South-East.

XAM2175

Established Member
I saw a suggestion that the Hydro here in Glasgow was a possibility, being well-suited for technical productions and seating circa 14,000, but I don't know how credible that is. Honestly I'm not fussed as long as it's somewhere that can put on a good show, though I can appreciate that "not London" might well be an answer that appears with some frequency :p

gabrielhj07

Honestly I wouldn't mind London! I reckon there'd be a sentiment against it though, and a desire for it to be held somewhere 'regional'.

Peter0124

Established Member
I'd say either Manchester or Glasgow, both could probably handle the extra flights and have decent sized arenas.

Scotrail12

As much as I'd like it to be Glasgow, is it really a big enough city? I can walk from one side of the city centre to the other in half an hour. Obviously we have the Hydro as a potential venue but I just remember that it was a bit of a nightmare hosting COP-26 in November.

XAM2175

Established Member
The important thing, in my mind at least, is that the choice should be appropriately sympathetic to the fact that it's meant to be in Ukraine. Holding it outside London could maybe help with that perception - on the presumption that if the UK had won it outright it would definitely be being booked into a London venue at this very moment :E

DelayRepay

Established Member
The important thing, in my mind at least, is that the choice should be appropriately sympathetic to the fact that it's meant to be in Ukraine.

Are there any suitable UK cities that are twinned with Ukraine? Or any cities that have been particularly active in welcoming Ukrainian refugees?

Although the venue will be in the UK, I hope that it will still be 'hosted' by Ukraine in terms of having Ukrainian presenters and a Ukrainian theme.

DanNCL

Established Member
As much as I'd like it to be Glasgow, is it really a big enough city? I can walk from one side of the city centre to the other in half an hour. Obviously we have the Hydro as a potential venue but I just remember that it was a bit of a nightmare hosting COP-26 in November.
If Malmo is big enough Glasgow is too!

Mike99

What about the nearest City/town to where the bloke who came second this year was born or lives.

Hardcastle

Belfast Cardiff or Glasgow/Edinburgh it would depend on which city would have a arena big enough & available for something like 6 weeks.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
What about the nearest City/town to where the bloke who came second this year was born or lives.
Yes that is a good suggestion.
I had read somewhere that it could possibly be held wherever the Year of Culture is for 2023.

It definitely needs to be an arena-type venue.

I would love to go and see it if the UK are hosting it in 2023.
I just Googled that and it seems that in 2023 that City would be Leeds, 2024 Wakefield and I think it has already been confirmed that for 2025 it is Bradford. It was Hull a few years ago. Harrogate did host UK Eurovision some years ago, so certainly a Yorkshire/West Yorkshire theme.

Yew

Established Member
Edinburgh, as it's twinned with Kiev.

Altrincham

Yes that is a good suggestion.

I just Googled that and it seems that in 2023 that City would be Leeds, 2024 Wakefield and I think it has already been confirmed that for 2025 it is Bradford. It was Hull a few years ago. Harrogate did host UK Eurovision some years ago, so certainly a Yorkshire/West Yorkshire theme.
I remember Harrogate hosting it in 1982. I believe it was chosen because it had a newly-opened conference centre.

XAM2175

Established Member
For some history, these are the previous UK venues:
1960 - London - Royal Festival Hall
1963 - London - BBC Television Centre
1968 - London - Royal Albert Hall
1972 - Edinburgh - Usher Hall
1974 - Brighton - Brighton Dome
1977 - London - Wembley Conference Centre
1982 - Harrogate - Harrogate International Centre
1998 - Birmingham - National Indoor Arena

And on the twinned cities and towns point:
Horlivka - Barnsley
Kyiv - Edinburgh
Luhansk - Cardiff
Lviv - Rochdale
Odessa - Liverpool
Stryi - Mansfield
Uman - Milford Haven
Vinnytsia - Peterborough
Yalta - Margate
(obviously without regard to practicality)

Last edited:

Woolos 22

For some history, these are the previous UK venues:
1960 - London - Royal Festival Hall
1963 - London - BBC Television Centre
1968 - London - Royal Albert Hall
1972 - Edinburgh - Usher Hall
1974 - Brighton - Brighton Dome
1977 - London - Wembley Conference Centre
1982 - Harrogate - Harrogate International Centre
1998 - Birmingham - National Indoor Arena

And on the twinned cities and towns point:
Horlivka - Barnsley
Kyiv - Edinburgh
Luhansk - Cardiff
Lviv - Rochdale
Odessa - Liverpool
Stryi - Mansfield
Uman - Milford Haven
Vinnytsia - Peterborough
Yalta - Margate
(obviously without regard to practicality)
Cardiff is no go as the public transport start to close down at 2000 . Every big event in the stadium there are complaints of delayed get home by roads.

Status
Not open for further replies.