• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which British city should host Eurovision 2023?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greatkingrat

Established Member
Cardiff is no go as the public transport start to close down at 2000 . Every big event in the stadium there are complaints of delayed get home by roads.
The contest doesn't finish until after midnight, so wherever you hold it (except possibly London), there isn't going to be much if any public transport running.

317 forever

Established Member
It does need to be in a pro-European area. Although all previous occasions pre-dated the EU referendum, the only place it has been held which voted Leave was Birmingham.

Most cities do fit the bill. The other largest cities i would rule out would be Sheffield, Nottingham and Swansea.

8A Rail

Established Member
Just for the record LIVERPOOL volunteered before Manchester offered. Just mentioning it so people are aware. :smile:

Peter0124

Established Member
It does need to be in a pro-European area. Although all previous occasions pre-dated the EU referendum, the only place it has been held which voted Leave was Birmingham.

Most cities do fit the bill. The other largest cities i would rule out would be Sheffield, Nottingham and Swansea.
Edinburgh I suppose, though is there a venue in Edinburgh which would be able to host the event?

Gareth

Established Member
Because the EU = Europe and everyone who voted to leave hates everything about the continent, obviously; including Eurovision and just foreigners in general. So there's safety considerations, presumably.

najaB

Veteran Member
Because the EU = Europe and everyone who voted to leave hates everything about the continent, obviously; including Eurovision and just foreigners in general. So there's safety considerations, presumably.
I hope nobody who thinks like that ever picks up a geography book:
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, commonly known as the United Kingdom (UK) or Britain, is a sovereign country in Europe, off the north-western coast of the continental mainland.

Gareth

Established Member
Or maybe not picking up a geography book is the problem.

Just for the record LIVERPOOL volunteered before Manchester offered. Just mentioning it so people are aware. :smile:

It's irrelevant. Liverpool's got no chance.

Last edited:

Roast Veg

Established Member
As it was held at Usher Hall in 1972, maybe it could be held there again next year.
Almost certainly too small - the average venue has been an indoor arena with seating capacity in recent years is in the 10000-15000 mark, with the exception being Tel Aviv. That unfortunately takes Edinburgh out of the running.

najaB

Veteran Member
Almost certainly too small - the average venue has been an indoor arena with seating capacity in recent years is in the 10000-15000 mark, with the exception being Tel Aviv. That unfortunately takes Edinburgh out of the running.
While the shape is less than ideal, if they were to start design work now I'm confident that they could fully-cover the Tattoo arena. That's what - 9/10,000 seats?

8A Rail

Established Member
Or maybe not picking up a geography book is the problem.

It's irrelevant. Liverpool's got no chance.

As much chance has any other location in the UK, if you don't ask, you don't get! In the meantime I contact the City Council to withdraw their offer because you said no chance! :lol::lol:

thenorthern

Established Member
Having spoken to people at the BBC there is a rumour that Greater Manchester may be chosen as the production for Eurovision moved to Salford from London this year and there is the broadcasting facilities for things like play-out already nearby.

Given the lack of media facilities in certain cities like Nottingham, Liverpool, Newcastle and Edinburgh I think that would rule them out.

Cardiff is no go as the public transport start to close down at 2000 . Every big event in the stadium there are complaints of delayed get home by roads.

Regarding public transport there is normally special services laid on in other cities to cope with the demand.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I did hear when it was at Harrogate, the audience capacity was not that large infact, but that was quite a long time ago and things change.
If it was held in the UK, who would pay for it? the BBC or the Ukraine TV Service? I suppose, it could also be hosted by presenters from the Ukraine too?

najaB

Veteran Member
If it was held in the UK, who would pay for it? the BBC or the Ukraine TV Service?
I would expect the costs would be shared.

A quick Google search indicates that the average cost to the host broadcaster is around £10M, though that depends a lot on what existing facilities they can use.

However, the host city often makes more than that in increased tourism, so the BBC and "City X" may come to an agreement to spilt the costs.

Gareth

Established Member
As much chance has any other location in the UK, if you don't ask, you don't get! In the meantime I contact the City Council to withdraw their offer because you said no chance! :lol::lol:

No it doesn't. You think everywhere from Birmingham to Burnley has the same chance of getting something like this? Sorry but no; although Liverpool's chances are a lot closer to Burnley's than Birmingham's. It shouldn't be that way but it is.

Bit weird to call the council over something I said but I doubt that'll make a difference either.

Gareth

Established Member
Having spoken to people at the BBC there is a rumour that Greater Manchester may be chosen as the production for Eurovision moved to Salford from London this year and there is the broadcasting facilities for things like play-out already nearby.

Given the lack of media facilities in certain cities like Nottingham, Liverpool, Newcastle and Edinburgh I think that would rule them out.

I don't see why proximity to a playout facility would be particularly relevent. It'll be an outside broadcast and wherever it's located, it'll almost certainly be going to a playout facility in London and via there to broadcasters in other countries. The bigger factor will be the availability of a large venue on the particular week it's broadcast.

I certainly wouldn't rule Edinburgh out, at least. Personally, I think it's between there, London and the three "second cities".

Yew

Established Member
Nottingham Arena can hold 10000 for a gig, and has the main television studio for BBC East Midlands.

Gareth

Established Member
BBC East Midlands is irrelevant. It would have minimal technical involvement.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Hopefully the situation in Ukraine improves, but if it is to be held in the UK I think we can rule out London? Would be seen as too focused on the South-East.
How sad if we’ve got to the stage that anything happening in the capital city of the country triggers those living up north.

thenorthern

Established Member
How on earth is it possible for you to know that?
Nottingham Arena can hold 10000 for a gig, and has the main television studio for BBC East Midlands.
BBC East Midlands is irrelevant. It would have minimal technical involvement.

I work in the media industry, BBC Nottingham would play little or no role in it as the BBC East Midlands facilities are very limited. The only thing broadcast from there is local news and BBC Radio Nottingham. There are no national BBC productions made at BBC Facilities in the East Midlands anymore.

Kind of sad really as 30 years ago Nottingham has Carlton Studios which were owned by Carlton Television (Now ITV) and produced a lot of content particularly game shows for BBC, ITV and Channel 4. Carlton Studios of course closed in 2005. Also in commercial radio Trent FM in Nottingham used to be the home station to the Hit Music Network which is now of course Capital and broadcasts from London and Birmingham to the East Midlands. How times change.

dgl

Established Member
How on earth is it possible for you to know that?
As all the main work of getting the picture and doing all the camera switching, audio mixing Etc. will have to be done at the venue itself, which will then be sent out to the relevent TV companies for onward distribution, either by fibre links or satellite to a playout centre.
Plus the BBC no longer owns any OB trucks as I understand, so another reason why being near somewhere that does TV production doesn't matter.
Even back in the day most OB would end up at a main transmission station for onward distribution (an not necessarily the closest), though some local TV studios (Plymouth/BBC SW for instance) did have OB link recievers for local stuff.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
The person who made that comment has their location set to 'London'.
I know, and I'm simply saying I don't think people are that petty as to be outraged if something is held in the capital city. If they are, it's a shame.

Yew

Established Member
As all the main work of getting the picture and doing all the camera switching, audio mixing Etc. will have to be done at the venue itself, which will then be sent out to the relevent TV companies for onward distribution, either by fibre links or satellite to a playout centre.
And yet @thenorthern keenly asserted that :

Status
Not open for further replies.