• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

freelander

Hi Folks, put this request on yesterday but it does not appear??
anyway I am looking for a video camera/camcorder with a jack plug for an external mic, I already have a Panasonic which is great for picture quality but the mic is so sensitive a little breeze sounds like a gale, by using an ex mic I hope to shelter it from any wind, hope you can help, also if you know of any dealers in camera/video who do exchange.

regards Freelander

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
anyway I am looking for a video camera/camcorder with a jack plug for an external mic, I already have a Panasonic which is great for picture quality but the mic is so sensitive a little breeze sounds like a gale, by using an ex mic I hope to shelter it from any wind, hope you can help, also if you know of any dealers in camera/video who do exchange.

It's not a matter of mic sensitivity - you really need proper wind protection. Ideally, filming outside you should have a Rycote Windshield kit (or the cheaper but still effective Rode Blimp), but realistically at least get a Mini Windjammer or even a Micro Windjammer for your old camera.

On camera mics are only used for backup audio in the trade, and they are always fitted with wind protection 'cos they just won't work outside without them unless you are prepared to tolerate loud rumbles and audio dropouts when the mic gets overloaded or the automatic gain circuit tries to compensate.

Parts of this video were shot in a fairly high wind, but you don't hear it thanks to the Blimp.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

BTW your previous post went here - path: RailUK Forums > Rail Photography > Photography Sites & Videos > Photography Advice & Discussion

mrknowwun

regards Freelander

Check out my videos, like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y01VG-5ju8I. I use a JVC-Ex515, bought because it has an external mic socket. You don't need to lash out on expensive Rode Mics and outrageously priced Dead cat furry wind socks. This video was shot using that camera, with a cheap mic like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SG-108-St...V-Camcorder-/390733337252?hash=item5af98592a4 and one of these wind socks
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wind-Tech-Mic-Muff-Fitted-Fur-Windscreen-replaces-MM-51-/261324036687

There is a slight touch of wind noise on it, but it was very windy and exposed at that point and coped really well.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member

These are very good suggestions, and would indeed make a considerable difference in normal conditions from using the camera's built in mic with no wind protection.

However
There is a slight touch of wind noise on it, but it was very windy and exposed at that point and coped really well.
But in the notes for your video you say
"NB: In the video some of the audio has been suppressed due to wind noise and extreme profanity and views expressed by some of the upset travelers".

There is no wind noise when the outrageously priced Dead cat furry wind sock from Rycote is used, and it is transparent to the higher frequency sounds, which the imitation furries are not. You get what you pay for, it's a matter of deciding how important it is to you get rid of wind noise completely. The eBay stuff will do well enough for most casual use, but expect to lose some audio sooner or later.

Here's an example (not mine) of what can be achieved with audio from a fast moving train using the right equipment. The cameras are GoPros, but the audio is separately recorded:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=m-ch-fea&v=4j-qsMyqkRw

freelander

many thanks for the replies, Paxvobiscum, I think you have incorrectly read the post, I was asking for a camera WITH a mic socket, yes the items you have suggested may be good but they are NO good if I cannot use them due to not having a socket on my camera. also in your video I notice that the bushes and trees are not moving which would indicate lack of wind, as you must be aware you cannot see wind only movement of objects generated by the wind and has it passes an object would generate noise which in the case of the inbuilt mic in the camera as the wind passes past the mic will make a noise and the stronger the wind the greater the noise. thank you for the suggestion to reduce the noise and I may be interested in them if/when I purchase a camera with a mic socket.
Mrknowwun thanks for your reply it is interesting that others I have spoken too have suggested that camera and the quality of pictures seem very good
thanks again for the info.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
many thanks for the replies, Paxvobiscum, I think you have incorrectly read the post, I was asking for a camera WITH a mic socket, yes the items you have suggested may be good but they are NO good if I cannot use them due to not having a socket on my camera.
Sorry - let me clarify that then. You did say that you were happy with the picture quality on your Panasonic, so the Mini Windjammer or the Micro Windjammer , or indeed an cheaper eBay or Amazon copy, could well make a big difference to the audio quality of your existing camera in windy conditions.

You are correct that I did not answer your question of recommending a camera with a mic input socket, mainly because I wanted to be sure you were aware of the bigger picture. An external mic, of whatever quality, will not per se solve the problem of wind noise, but efficient wind protection on the mic which is recording the audio will definitely help.

If you are thinking about replacing your camera anyway, then certainly go for one with a mic-in socket, and if possible manual audio level control as well. Automatic Gain Control works well on many cameras most of the time, but it can 'pump' annoyingly under certain conditions and it helps if you can override it.

also in your video I notice that the bushes and trees are not moving which would indicate lack of wind, as you must be aware you cannot see wind only movement of objects generated by the wind and has it passes an object would generate noise which in the case of the inbuilt mic in the camera as the wind passes past the mic will make a noise and the stronger the wind the greater the noise.

I can assure you that the scenes over the opening titles and other footage from the same vantage point (from halfway up the hill) were shot when there was enough wind to make audio recording without wind protection impracticable. You can see the broom/gorse bushes blowing in the wind (and it was pretty cold I can tell you!) There was rather less wind at the level of the station, but it was breezy on the bridge itself and the shore beside the bridge where some of the audio was recorded.

EDIT: Here's another video taken from track level on the other side of the bridge. It is quite a breezy location and you can hear what happens when the mic isn't protected from the wind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQuhVYLIXtc

thank you for the suggestion to reduce the noise and I may be interested in them if/when I purchase a camera with a mic socket.

I was just concerned that you might go to the expense of buying a new camera and an external mic to go with it, and then find that you still had the same problem with wind, so to speak. :D

The subject of avoiding wind noise comes up again an again on the video forums like dvinfo where nubies to film and event video have the benefit of advice from seasoned pros who have years of experience in the broadcast and film industries. It's not about spending loads of money, more like understanding the situation so that problems can be avoided. For filming out the window of a fast moving train full professional quality wind protection is the only way to go.

Sorry if I appeared unhelpful initially.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.