• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which Companies Still Operate Mark 3 Slam Door Coaches In UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darasafvatnia

Now that GWR and LNER have finished operating HST's, is it just EMR that still use Mark 3 coaches? I know GWR has a few HST's still but they're all plug door from my understanding. Does Greater Anglia still have them or have they all been replaced now? If not are there any reliable diagrams for 2020? I want to ride as many Mark 3 Coaches before they all go, I'm travelling on a HST service with EMR next month, was wondering if any other companies still operate them in the UK?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
ScotRail still have some slam doors running about. Chiltern did have a 'Commuter Set' featuring slam door MK3s, and Transport for Wales have Gerald which goes from Holyhead to Cardiff in the morning, and returns as the 17:16 Cardiff to Holyhead in the evening.

TfW also have a set that does Chester to Manchester, then to Llandudno in the morning, and it then returns in the evening. This has been quite temperamental recently, and often gets subbed for a DMU.

GWR may also run some services with slam doors - I'm not sure all their 'Cattle Class' sets have been fitted with power doors yet.

Jamiescott1

Chiltern still do have one. It operates the 1720 from marylebone and the bicester north to marylebone arriving marylebone at 0728

darasafvatnia

Thanks guys, I really want to ride the Gerald I just worry that the coaches will be Mk4 as I heard they are being replaced in 2020 but hopefully this isn't the case yet. I also have recently taken the night riviera which is still Mk3, I'm gonna take it again in the summer so i can enjoy the morning part of the journey in daylight! I took a GWR HST from St Ives to Penzance and it was a plug door so I guess its just down to luck? I'll also take a Greater Anglia journey if only one diagram has been replaced!

_toommm_

Established Member
Thanks guys, I really want to ride the Gerald I just worry that the coaches will be Mk4 as I heard they are being replaced in 2020 but hopefully this isn't the case yet. I also have recently taken the night riviera which is still Mk3, I'm gonna take it again in the summer so i can enjoy the morning part of the journey in daylight! I took a GWR HST from St Ives to Penzance and it was a plug door so I guess its just down to luck? I'll also take a Greater Anglia journey if only one diagram has been replaced!

Just remember if you do take the Riviera, it's now set-down only in Cornwall, so you'd need to take it from Paddington. Due to a few incidents with the slam doors it now isn't used as a local train anymore in Cornwall.

darasafvatnia

Just remember if you do take the Riviera, it's now set-down only in Cornwall, so you'd need to take it from Paddington. Due to a few incidents with the slam doors it now isn't used as a local train anymore in Cornwall.
Yeah I'd take it from Paddington and do the full trip, that way I can fully enjoy the experience!

trebor79

Established Member
When did that change? There were definitely commuters boarding when I alighted at Par in November.

cactustwirly

Established Member
ScotRail still have some slam doors running about. Chiltern did have a 'Commuter Set' featuring slam door MK3s, and Transport for Wales have Gerald which goes from Holyhead to Cardiff in the morning, and returns as the 17:16 Cardiff to Holyhead in the evening.

TfW also have a set that does Chester to Manchester, then to Llandudno in the morning, and it then returns in the evening. This has been quite temperamental recently, and often gets subbed for a DMU.

GWR may also run some services with slam doors - I'm not sure all their 'Cattle Class' sets have been fitted with power doors yet.

All of GWRs 2+4 sets are plug door fitted

StephenHunter

Established Member
All the slam door Mark 3s are due to go this year, bar Night Riviera, which has an exemption from the PRM rules.

RealTrains07

Established Member
But there's only 8 diagrams
There's no diagrammed work for the classic sets.
They have sufficient stock to run nine 4-car and one 3-car set as of earlier this month.
What I heard on the other threads must have been incorrect as I heard there would be 12 Castle sets?

Nevermind.

Then again, you're better off going on EMR HSTs now, as they are due to be replaced by cascaded LNER ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.