• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which company manufactures door push buttons for UK rolling stock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwiftsOnSea

Does anyone know the company responsible for UK door push-to-open on the Desiro or Desiro City, or in general, by any chance, please?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-06-21 at 08.44.24.png
    Screenshot 2020-06-21 at 08.44.24.png
    1 MB · Views: 43
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
Ive noticed the buttons on the 385s dont click in like others.

Nym

Established Member
That's an EAO Series 56.

Other players in the UK include Craig and Derricott and to a degree LPA Excil but these both tend to be legacy designs.

Googling PRM-TSI buttons yeilds plenty of results, a lot of people try and not use EAO because of cost and slip to other manufacturers for cab HMI.

RealTrains07

Established Member
That's an EAO Series 56.

Other players in the UK include Craig and Derricott and to a degree LPA Excil but these both tend to be legacy designs.

Googling PRM-TSI buttons yeilds plenty of results, a lot of people try and not use EAO because of cost and slip to other manufacturers for cab HMI.
No wonder manufacturers use the same type of door buttons on the new trains these days

TRAX

Established Member
I think also because you aren't sure you've pressed it, at least with a more conventional button you get that satisfying "click"

Indeed, they didn't realise that feedback is very important and can even save some time !

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Indeed, they didn't realise that feedback is very important and can even save some time !

Exactly, beause with the way it's set up you aren't too sure you've pressed it! Certainly the first two occasions I travelled on a 385 I pressed the button more than once because I wasn't sure I'd "pressed" it so to speak

TRAX

Established Member
oh I remember the thinking behind that design now !
If you look closely at that design, it’s completely sealed. The design is meant to make the button completely water-and cleaning liquid-proof. @hexagon789 So maybe not that cheap as it does look like quite a complex design, @Domh245

hexagon789

Veteran Member
oh I remember the thinking behind that design now !
If you look closely at that design, it’s completely sealed. The design is meant to make the button completely water-and cleaning liquid-proof. @hexagon789 So maybe not that cheap as it does look like quite a complex design, @Domh245

I didn't think it looked cheap, just it took a bit of getting used to the lack of familiar 'click' when pressing it. If it's more reliable then I'm all for it, but perhaps it could be designed to flash and give a soft tone when successfully pressed so you know for certain you've pressed it!

TRAX

Established Member
I didn't think it looked cheap, just it took a bit of getting used to the lack of familiar 'click' when pressing it. If it's more reliable then I'm all for it, but perhaps it could be designed to flash and give a soft tone when successfully pressed so you know for certain you've pressed it!

the cheap comment was for Domh245.
I agree with you (not for the noises though, there’s enough like that already), but surely there’s a way to make a sealed button that clicks or at least moves a bit ?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
the cheap comment was for D

I realised that, but I thought I'd make it clear that it was just the feedback I wasn't keen on.

I agree with you (not for the noises though, there’s enough like that already), but surely there’s a way to make a sealed button that clicks or at least moves a bit ?

I think a built in say double flash of the light surround would do, with some sort of sound for the visually impaired

mcmad

Agree on the lack of feedback from the 385 buttons. There have been a few occasions when I'm sure I've pressed it but nothing happens so a second (and third and forth!) press follows

On Moderation
I think a built in say double flash of the light surround would do, with some sort of sound for the visually impaired
An audible click i.e. imitating the other design?

But, please, no more bings or bongs. Far too much audible rubbish as it is without adding more.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
An audible click i.e. imitating the other design?

But, please, no more bings or bongs. Far too much audible rubbish as it is without adding more.

Okay, we'll go with a 'click' then ;)

Just something would be nice as I'm sure it catches many occasional travellers out. Twice there's been a not insignificant hold-up at doors disembarking at Waverley from 385s by something that I've never had with 170s and I don't think it's purely coincidence as the 385s were then quite new and I've only had four trips on them.

fgwrich

Established Member
I have to admit, one area I am impressed with on the "Aventra" fleet is the door buttons - fully sealed in yet do click, and the illuminated 'ring' flashes red when the door is not in use (after you've pressed it) and green when the door is useable.

Perhaps Hitachi should have looked to have used them?

Status
Not open for further replies.