• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which is the best station for photography on the WCML?

Status
Not open for further replies.

corin paul

In about 3 weeks, on a weekday I'm going over to the WCML, for some class 90s or 92s and E.M.U.s for Photos, but which out of these three locations should I go for?

Stafford, Nuneaton or Rugby?

Not fussed about 66s or 60s can see them on home turf. Got be one of three places, could go to Crewe, but a bit bad for the Freightliners photos.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bevan Price

Established Member
Of the stations in your list, I prefer Stafford, although at all three of your stations it is possible to be on the wrong platform when something interesting passes through. The slow line platforms (4 & 5) at Stafford are usually best - provided they have finished the "engineering" work I saw on Platforms 5/6 a few weeks ago. (My personal favourites for photography on that part of the WCML are not in your list - Tamworth, and Rugeley Trent Valley)

tadhatter

The trouble with Nuneaton is that there is far to much OLE getting in the way of potentially excellent shots. On that basis Rugby is much better but Stafford is probably best. This is from someone who lives in Rugby.

Alistair G.

Nuneaton certainly has the most freight, but not a lot of it stops which can sometimes make getting that perfect shot a bit of a sport!. At rugby you do get freight (probably about 70% of what goes through Nuneaton goes on to rugby.... Rough figure!). However, due to rugby being a bit more congested you tend to find trains have either booked relief or booked regulating time here so there is a chance of it coming through much slower or even put away in the loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.