• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which is your closest station/how do you get to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

overtonchris

Overton! 0.7miles.

Usually I drive and park (For Free!!!!) because it's a fairly steep hill going there and the road has no pavement, is full of pot holes and is virtually unlit at night. Oh yeah.....and I'm old, fat and lazy!!!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Antman

Established Member
Walking distance from both Sevenoaks and Bat & Ball, obviously the former has far more travel options

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
My street is actually on the local area map which is posted on the external wall of my local station. I walk there.

zoneking

Interesting that not many people live far from stations. Is that the reason you live where you do? I expect most regular rail users to live within reasonable distance.

I would really like to live in the country (Surrey/Sussex/Kent). There are not that many places within walking distance of a station, and those that are tend to be expensive. I would love to be able to live in villages along the North Downs line or Redhill - Tonbridge line, but I can't afford to. I currently live 0.6 miles from Caterham station. I do not have a car.

Crossover

Established Member
Since moving last year, now a handy half mile (10-12 minute walk) from one of the stations on the Huddersfield Line. Getting only served by Northern Rail, however, it isn't a particular favourite.

For longer journeys, Dewsbury is better and not too far away (also has a ticket office, later services, express services and more regular services)

Whilst I was on placement and living in Milton Keynes, I was only a good 10-15 minute walk from the station there (not far as being as close as you can live to it, I don't think) - chosen mainly because of its location, rather than living near work (Newport Pagnell) as I had a car, and driving to and parking at work was easier than doing the same for the station. Useful for trips home and the occasional trip into London on a weekend when bored, but in a year there I never did the Bletchley line or the Abbey line...now wish I had!

Established Member
Cambridge, 1.8mi. Takes just over half an hour to walk which I normally do due to the bus service being appalling - in the evening when they go down to half-hourly on my route, one always leaves just before one of the fast trains from London arrives. Also, I generally tend to head out early when the buses are infrequent, the amount of times I've missed the first bus despite aiming to be at the stop five minutes before it's due because it's run early... :roll:

anti-pacer

Established Member
Wakefield Kirkgate - 0.7 miles - 10 minutes walk
Wakefield Westgate - 1.4 miles - 6-7 minutes in a taxi / 15 minutes by bus / 20 minutes walk

I use Kirkgate to get to work in Leeds, and will use it to go to Meadowhall / Sheffield. All other times I would use Westgate.

Kirkgate is awful but work has now started to bring it up to date and nice again, and Westgate is currently being rebuilt, so hopefully Wakefield will soon have 2 attractive, well-kept stations.

Antman

Established Member
Cambridge, 1.8mi. Takes just over half an hour to walk which I normally do due to the bus service being appalling - in the evening when they go down to half-hourly on my route, one always leaves just before one of the fast trains from London arrives. Also, I generally tend to head out early when the buses are infrequent, the amount of times I've missed the first bus despite aiming to be at the stop five minutes before it's due because it's run early... :roll:

I would suggest you complain to the operator, buses should not be running early.

Eagle

Established Member
My nearest station is Holton Heath, but that's not a very useful station. I usually go for Salisbury as my main station, which involves either a lift or a one hour bus journey on what is now the Damory 184 (formerly W&D, still officially operated by Salisbury Reds).

1e10

I would suggest you complain to the operator, buses should not be running early.

Who is the operator? First in my area will refund any customer the full cost of their ticket (or pro-rota if the ticket is for a period any longer than a day) if a bus leaves it's stop 1 minute early or more.

button_boxer

Established Member
Sheffield is my closest at around 20 minutes by tram, with Chapeltown a close second as the crow flies.

richw

Veteran Member
Redruth station is very near to my house. Walk 50m to End of my road turn left and it is 100-200 metres along that road.

Formerly I lived overlooking Penryn station but it was a 8-9 minute walk due to needing to cross the railway line so having to walk to the railway bridge and across and back.

Bishopstone

Established Member
Bishopstone.

Can be on the platform in 90 seconds if I'm in a rush - aided by lack of barriers and, generally, other people!

Red Dragon

Ilkley 0.5 miles, 10 mins walk, or hail the local bus at the front gate which takes me to the station in 10 mins with lots of luggage !
Previously 15 minutes drive from Harpenden station with very poor public transport links and very very expensive parking.

Statto

Established Member
Leasowe 0.4 miles, bus 2 minutes, walk less than 10 minutes, i walk it, as by the time i get to my local bus stop [which is in the other direction from the station] i would be halfway to the station.

JGR

Technically the closest station is Derby Road (Ipswich) at about 2.5 km, but as this is fairly useless for going anywhere other than Felixstowe, I've never used it, and always go to Ipswich station proper.
That's roughly 5 km, so 15-20 minutes on my bike, or 20-25 minutes by bus (which goes on a rather indirect route)

bennunn

Elverson Road DLR, about 150 yards away (southbound) or 250ish (northbound).

Nearest National Rail (just) is St Johns but far more convenient to use Lewisham (usually via the southbound DLR because it's so easy).

Deptford Bridge DLR, New Cross/Gate, Deptford, Ladywell, Greenwich, Brockley all walkable if absolutely necessary. Probably Hither Green and Blackheath too, though I've never tried walking to/from them.

Not a bad location really!

My closest is Cross Gates in East Leeds. I live in Swarcliffe just down the road. I could walk although it's a good 25/30 minutes. However, I usually just taxi it to Leeds City Station when i'm using the trains.

harry42

Nottingham: Fantastic bus and tram links to the station! Very lucky to have a fantastic bus operator/s: Barton and City Transport!!! :D

My local station is Cam & Dursley. I live in Cam. 20 minute walk, 10 by cycle, or 5 by car.

Chapeltom

Established Member
Chapel en le Frith - 1.2 mile walk. Usually takes 15-18 minutes.
Chinley - 2 mile walk. Usually takes 27-30 minutes, primarily use it for Uni/trips to Sheffield. Once took me nearly 3 hours after a bit too much alcohol. Always takes longer to come back, more uphill coming back.

ModernRailways

Established Member
My local station is on the T&W Metro. The station is Jarrow and is just 5 minutes (my pace, 9 minutes most other people) from my house and is about 0.5 miles away.

My nearest National Rail would probably be Heworth, but it is fairly terrible with services and so I just continue on the Bus/Metro to Newcastle. Newcastle is only 14 minutes or so on the Metro and so is fairly quick! Sunderland is also relatively close but is harder to get too as it requires a change of trains at Pelaw! I can and do get the bus though on the odd occasion I use Grand Central!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.