• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which is your favourite railway line in the UK and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wirewiper

One I like is the North Downs between Redhill and Guildford, which runs through the Surrey Hills AONB*. Guildford to Reading is a bit meh (apart from the bit exiting Guildford where the train curves around the foot of the cathedral).

*AONB - Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HowardGWR

Established Member
I see no takers yet for Salisbury to Exeter. Leave the chalk behind at Wilton and then it's all lush countryside thereon.

PeterC

Established Member
My big interests were always the sort of railway activity that no longer exists. I used to love the GEML from Shenfield into London. The Road Machines monorail at Brentwood sewerage works, the old LT&S coal yard and wiring trains at Romford, a banana van at Goodmayes, milk tankers at Ilford, more coal at Manor Park, all sorts at Stratford including narrow guage in the steel stockholder's yard, maybe a barge load of timber on the Lea, sand hoppers at Mile End and the defunct goods depot by the canal. All gone now.

For scenary though it has to be the Cambrian Coast line.

SeanG

I think the line to Stranraer is often overlooked, as is the line up to Largs.

Can't beat the classic Glasgow - Mallaig - Skye - Kyle - Inverness - Perth - Glasgow loop though. Three amazing lines plus the bus journey through Skye ain't too bad

gcmozart

The obvious ones especially the Kyle line, but my destination would be Plockton rather than go all the way to Kyle. I finally managed to get a trip in winter snow late last year and it was just sublime.

Having lived and worked in South East London for many years I always remember the journey from Blackheath to London Bridge & Cannon Street. Particularly the last few miles going past Millwall reminded me of being taken to the old ground by my father, then as you approach London Bridge you get a glimpse of Tower Bridge, then past Southwark Cathedral & Borough Market. Until finally you are actually over the river itself into Cannon Street.

Philip

On Moderation
The North Wales and Hope Valley lines are very good for scenery. Also the Dublin-Rosslare line in Ireland is pretty spectacular in places. I like railways which follow the canals, so I actually quite like the WCML south of Preston for that reason.

Perhaps not my favourite but in underrated terms I'd give a shout out to the North Staffs Railway section of the WCML from Stoke to Macclesfield; north of Kidsgrove it marches through pleasant and quite dramatic countryside with Mow Cop and the foothills of the south Pennines on one side and the Macclesfield Canal and at times an outstanding backdrop of the Cheshire Plain (and beyond) on the other. There are two grand blue brick viaducts and until the 60s there was a bit of a monster of a tunnel at Harecastle; the approach cutting at the north end is pretty impressive in itself. It's a shame the line had to be diverted around the hill but thankfully the tunnel is still in reasonable nick and you can walk right up to both portals (although the north end means a scramble down the cutting side).

Raedwald

The GWML is very interesting & varied, especially the part between Reading & Swindon. There's something quite nice about a long journey when you can see the countryside changing gradually as you move between different areas. It gives you a real sense of having travelled, that you don't really get when driving, I find.
I'd second the Marches and St. Ives lines. I also think Ipswich - Cambridge, Norwich - Peterborough and Guildford - Portsmouth are quite underrated. Redland to Temple Meads isn't exactly scenic, but you do get some interesting views.
Also Birmingham - Oxford, once you get past Leamington.

Last edited:

fowler9

Established Member
Can't argue with what other people have posted, but sometimes on my travels I have found myself on certain lines at certain times which were pretty atmospheric. Once travelled from King's Lynn at the end of a winter afternoon and it was like travelling through a frosty fairyland. Another was Barnsley to Huddersfield on a beautiful midsummer evening.

Some of the most impressive sights are on stretches of the approaches to Liverpool Street, Victoria, Waterloo and especially through London Bridge to Charing Cross - the dense tangle of buildings in the foreground (often, interestingly, seen from behind), and the towers behind across the river, at Docklands and the City.

Sadly my usual London terminus, Euston, is one of the less interesting approaches (unless you like the underside of brutality flats). However, Crewe to Liverpool has a couple of gems on a nice evening - first the Weaver, then the Mersey. And it also usually means I'm home after 2 days away.
Great shout on the Liverpool to Crewe journey. I will often get a Virgin return from Liverpool to Crewe for a trip out of town. Absolute bargain.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Actually - the whole Cambrian routes - especially the Coast are quite superb - further west , the better.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
I've always quite liked the Brighton line and the East Coastway. When visiting family in Brighton and not in a rush to go home, I enjoy going via Brighton for Rastrick's marvellous viaduct alone.

Mike99

I agree with many if not all of the above, my own favourites include, Perth up to Aviemore, Bradford Interhange aross to Blackburn especially the long uphill part from Yorkshire into Lancashire.
Hope Valley; and I do like a Stoke on Trent or Warrington Bank Quay non stop to London Euston, and from being a youngster Penge East to Bromley South for school and Penge East and Penge West to London Victoria and London Bridge respectively beause thats where this train (and bus) bug malaki started about 50 years ago!!

backontrack

Established Member
The Far North Line has a bit of everything.

First you're right on the edge of a sweeping firth with seals rearing their heads through the water, the Black Isle in the background. Then you slide through rolling farmland with Ben Wyvis looming up to the west. Past Tain, the Dornoch Firth winds under the Bonar Bridge to become the Kyle of Sutherland, which you cross to Lairg via a green-painted latticed viaduct. The purpley heather-streaked hills at Pittentrail provide shelter for the station's platforms. Loch Fleet, home to pine martens and Scottish crossbills, is passed as the Moray Coast comes into view; beyond that, Aberdeenshire. The train curls round the hammered shod of the bay at Brora, where cormorants crowd on the rocks, patiently drying their wings.

The train is practically on the shingle as Helmsdale approaches - then it's lush Strath Ullie, known by the Vikings as Hjalmundal, where deer skulk in the woodlands and people panned for gold in the streams. At Forsinard, where the pretty blue-painted station is now an RSPB visitor centre, the landscape opens up into the bleak Flow Country; the largest stretch of blanket peat bog in Europe at least. At Scotscalder it returns to farmland - albeit punctured by the River Thurso and Wick River - and our journey ends a mere ferry ride away from the wonderful Orkney Islands.

jfisher21

West Highland line is great - even the southern bit along the River Clyde is worth getting up for at 5am on the sleeper.
Also I have found the Tattenham Corner line and Man Picc - Glossop / Hadfield were surprisingly scenic

maire23

For views- The ECML between Newcastle and Edinburgh. Some absolutely beautiful scenery along there.
For memories- Newcastle to Liverpool Lime Street. Brings back memories of a journey I made every few weeks or so for a year when I was having a long distance relationship- I remember how excited I would get the closer I got to Lime Street!
Just my favourite- the ECML probably from York onwards up to Newcastle and especially coming over the bridge into Newcastle with the Tyne Bridge on my right because that’s home.

DaveTM

Sevenoaks to Tonbridge. Nothing special in terms of scenery etc, it is just where I commuted to school for 5 years on slam doors in the 80s. Many memories - the girls from Tonbridge Girls Grammar School, the lights going off in Sevenoaks tunnel on the compartment stock due to the tw*ts with chewing gum and 1p coins, the lights off AND the girls from TGGS!, the view of the flooding upstream from Tonbridge on the Medway during winter, the guards/parcels compartments that were my home on Wednesdays when I took my bike in for PE, the long wait on Sevenoaks platform for a train in snow knowing that if it gets to 30 minutes you are allowed to go home and skip school (why did it always arrive at 29.5 minutes?)...
Arun Valley - The lowest workload part of my route knowledge. And the scenary and wildlife you get to see while running on greens on the front part of a Horsham splitter.
Three Bridges to London Vic - I don't sign it, but during the practical handling part of my training I drove it often. London suburbia at 90mph, miles and miles of coasting, then the feeling of having done something worthwhile when you step off at Vic and change ends dodging the hundreds of punters.

Last edited:

Severn40

The stretch between Chepstow and Gloucester along the River Severn. Seeing the tide move along the river from the train is quite special.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The Conwy Valley is severely underrated by tourists, and severely under marketed.

I absolutely agree. It and similar lines (the S&C, the West Highland etc) need dedicated rolling stock with panoramic First Class coaches[1] and the likes the way the Swiss do it, then market them to near-death. Not run a smelly 35 year old DMU up and down on a fairly random timetable and whinge when there are huge losses.

[1] This is absolute money for old rope - tourists will cough up easily for such things.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The Heart of Wales line takes some beating, but the Settle & Carlisle does so. Haven't been further up Scotland than the Central Belt so can't have an opinion on the famous lines up there.

I've not done the HoW yet - I do need to though. It's a bit awkward from MK to do it without costing a fortune, though I suppose some Advances may ease that a bit. (Oh for single-leg walk-up pricing...)

Parallel

Established Member
I've not done the HoW yet - I do need to though. It's a bit awkward from MK to do it without costing a fortune, though I suppose some Advances may ease that a bit. (Oh for single-leg walk-up pricing...)
The Heart of Wales circular ranger is fairly good value. I usually do it from Newport as it allows you to travel to Shrewsbury instead of having to change at Craven Arms. But if you were coming from MK, I guess Shrewsbury would be the most logical place to start?

142blue

On Moderation
Preston to Blackburn, one town to another with a nice little dash through the countryside
Todmorden to Burnley Manchester Road for its remoteness
Carnforth to Ulverston, great journey
Abergele to Bangor especially in summer

However I would have to nominate Preston to Blackpool South, especially after Kirkham and it diverts off towards the coast. Look to the right for the first glimpse of Blackpool Tower as the train trundles through Wrea Green and Moss Side on the way to Lytham. Onwards through the trees at Witch Wood en route to St Annes via the golf course and through the dunes to the edges of Blackpool, the airport on one side and the development of the old Pontins site on the other. Then the last few miles through the streets of Blackpool passing the Pleasure Beach and finally rolling into the desolate Blackpool South.

Sadly a line crying out for regenerating, doubling or at least a place for passing trains as it taps into some very wealthy areas along the route. A lovely 25 mins

backontrack

Established Member
I absolutely agree. It and similar lines (the S&C, the West Highland etc) need dedicated rolling stock with panoramic First Class coaches[1] and the likes the way the Swiss do it, then market them to near-death. Not run a smelly 35 year old DMU up and down on a fairly random timetable and whinge when there are huge losses.

[1] This is absolute money for old rope - tourists will cough up easily for such things.
This is a must for the Far North Line, now that the NC500 is kicking off. Build the Lentran Long Loop, a loop at Kinbrace, stations at Evanton and Halkirk, and the Georgemas Chord. Run an hourly service to Tain and back with the 158s, and use brand-new trains to Thurso and Wick which run like expresses south of Tain (calling only at Alness and Dingwall).

For me it’s:

Skipton - Carlisle via Settle
Preston - Carlisle via Shap
Carnforth - Carlisle via coast
Hexham - Carlisle
Skipton - Carnforth

All beautiful scenic routes that I never get bored of! (Just goes to show since I’ve been doing the S&C nearly every day for 3 years now!)

backontrack

Established Member
For me it’s:

Skipton - Carlisle via Settle
Preston - Carlisle via Shap
Carnforth - Carlisle via coast
Hexham - Carlisle

Skipton - Carnforth

All beautiful scenic routes that I never get bored of! (Just goes to show since I’ve been doing the S&C nearly every day for 3 years now!)
Very underrated. I've yet to experience the Bentham Line!

ge-gn

Can't disagree with most of the above. I add, if I may, a few less obvious ones. Llanelli-Carmarthen. Norwich-Lowestoft. Sheffield-Stockport.

delt1c

Established Member
West Highland for me as well although would love to be able to enjoy a traditional breakfast. Some have mentiond Fort William and Mallaig stations, but these are minor parts of a most wonderful line

Status
Not open for further replies.