• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which leisure based journey are you looking forward to after lockdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llandudno

Established Member
Following the announcement that non essential travel will be allowed from Monday 12 April, which leisure rail trip are you looking forward to the most?

Personally, a one way walk along the north Wales Coastal Path, a couple of beers outside and the train home.
This assumes that Mark Drakeford follows Boris Johnson’s lead....!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SteveM70

Established Member
A few nights in Glasgow, and a combination of cycling and meeting some friends. I want to reprise one of my favourite rides; train to Crianlarich then cycle Crianlarich - Killin - alongside Loch Tay - Aberfeldy - Dunkeld - Perth / Dundee (depending on the time and light) then train back

Iskra

Established Member
A number of railtours that have been postponed; one in particular that stands out is Pathfinder Tours 'The Cambrian Coast Express', 2x97's (37's), summer, the seaside as well as new coverage and apparently great scenery.

NorthWestRover

Established Member
Short term, i.e. in the remaining weeks of April, I guess I'll go to Lytham and/or St Annes, to Arnside, maybe a bit further up the Cumbrian coast too, Southport maybe, long way round to Chester maybe.

55 this week, so I can get the Northern 55 Explorer or whatever it's called so can change plans on the day.

GlosRail

A trip over to the Isle of Wight to ride the ex District line tube trains which are coming.

Also looking forward to going back to to London for trips.

PTR 444

Established Member
First leisure journey for me looks certain to be visiting my parents 30 miles down the SWML from Soton. Not the most exciting of journeys but it’s a million times better than anything I’ve done since the new year.

Non Multi

Trip to Folkestone in September for the postponed (from 2020) Art Triennial. Will probably travel on the classic route via Tonbridge, as my last HS1 trip ended with a mega migraine. Not nice.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
I'd like to do another 1st class ALR, my last one was early March 2020 (just before we realised how serious things were), in fact during that week they had started to remove catering etc. However I would think it will be later in the year before that kind of thing is back to "normal" again.

Peter C

Established Member
I'd quite like to do a rail-based journey along the Cotswold Line up to Hereford again. I went up there on one of the last HSTs to Hereford in May 2019 and really enjoyed it; I'd love to maybe explore Hereford a bit more in another trip. Preferably in the Summer and some nice weather!

-Peter

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
A few nights in Glasgow, and a combination of cycling and meeting some friends. I want to reprise one of my favourite rides; train to Crianlarich then cycle Crianlarich - Killin - alongside Loch Tay - Aberfeldy - Dunkeld - Perth / Dundee (depending on the time and light) then train back
I did the Killin - Crianlarich part of this route, having come up from Dunblane via Callandar. If you do this route I'd be interested in seeing any photos of the route along Loch Tay and if it's particularly scenic I may do it one day. I assume you'd take the C451 on the south side of the loch? and possibly switching to the north side of the river onto the B846 and then C447 to avoid the A827?

SteveM70

Established Member
I did the Killin - Crianlarich part of this route, having come up from Dunblane via Callandar. If you do this route I'd be interested in seeing any photos of the route along Loch Tay and if it's particularly scenic I may do it one day. I assume you'd take the C451 on the south side of the loch? and possibly switching to the north side of the river onto the B846 and then C447 to avoid the A827?

I did the north side of Loch Tay. It’s a bit of a climb from Killin up to Milton Morenish but not steep, and a nice fast road after that. Yes it’s an A road, but it’s not busy at all.

Without sounding too melodramatic when I did it, I’d been having a really tough time with my depression for the previous four or five months, and it was a monumental effort both to go up to Scotland and then get out on the bike. Once I was underway it started raining not long after I left Crianlarich and then absolutely hammered down dropping down into Killin. I’d decided I was stopping for tea and cake at the nice little cafe in Aberfeldy (highly recommended by the way) so kept going, and I was bombing down along the side of Loch Tay the sun came out and it was just spectacularly beautiful, and it suddenly struck me I felt happy for the first time in a very long time. (It didn’t last. It never does)

From Aberfeldy the better route is east and then south, first on the A road and then through Balnaguard, which drops you down by the A9 just by Dunkeld but you hardly need to use the big road

67thave

Was looking forward to a Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal trip on VIA Rail late this summer... but being as Canada botched its vaccine rollout, it increasingly looks like such a trip might be impossible until 2022.

Gathursty

Established Member
A trip to Bow Street then Aberystwyth for some fish and chips then cutting across country to the peace and tranquility of Llangammarch Wells before returning to the North West.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
1. A journey on a class 800 GWR from Reading to Bristol

2. Going on First buses around Bristol and Bath

3. Most importantly: Going abroad

route101

Established Member
GWR sleeper, Wales, generally new lines. Fancy doing the sleeper from Inverness too.

D6130

Established Member
Hebden Bridge-Leeds-London- Paris-Turin-Florence-Arezzo-Stia (depending on when international travel restrictions are lifted)....and then Hebden Bridge-Preston-Glasgow-Fort William-Mallaig-Armadale-Kyle-Inverness-Aberdeen-Edinburgh-York-Hebden Bridge (again, depending on when international travel restrictions are lifted, Ms Sturgeon!). For my wife's significant birthday in July, I have booked us both on the Saphos "Aberdonian" steam trip Edinburgh-Aberdeen and return first class with premier dining, so that won't leave much money for travelling for the rest of the year! Incidentally, does anyone know whether the prohibition on main line steam locos over the Tay Bridge still applies, in which case the train will have to run via Perth?

scotrail158713

Established Member
It’s not the most exotic trip - although some of the coastal sections are nice - but I fancy a trip round the Fife Circle. It’ll get me away from the Lothian area for the first time in months which I think will be just as important for me as the journey.
For a similar reason I also fancy a wee jaunt over to Glasgow - just as a change of scenery. I’ll probably go into Queen Street and out from Central (or vice versa) to get the full experience. :)

NorthWestRover

Established Member
I am also planning Glasgow, maybe do the environs, maybe a few days on the Isle of Arran, but might leave that until next year.

Looks like Scotland is a major attraction for many of us I've wanted to get back to Glasgow or Edinburgh for a few years, might try this year if everything goes to plan for lifting lockdown.

NorthWestRover

Established Member
Looks like Scotland is a major attraction for many of us I've wanted to get back to Glasgow or Edinburgh for a few years, might try this year if everything goes to plan for lifting lockdown.

Well, it's along time since I've done any proper rail travel in Scotland. I've been to Edinburgh a couple of times for work and once to Stirling. And in August 2019 I had a day in Dumfries.

I've never really done Glasgow as a tourist, so that's on my list along with a bit of unit bashing.

It was whilst looking at the routes on the Ayrshire coast that I thought of the Isle of Arran.

I will also do the round Scotland trip. Last time I did it, although not in one round trip, it would have involved lots of diesel loco haulage.

Status
Not open for further replies.