• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which magazines are still being published during the Covid-19 crisis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Taunton

Established Member
On the latter note, a good number of mags, including Rail Express, Railway Magazine, Modern Railways and Rail, are available in electronic format through www.pocketmags.com - hope this may help one or two people.
The downside of these is that they are not "yours". Although charged as if you are owning it, they are on the supplier's website and you are wholly dependent on them (and on having an Internet connection, so can't take it to read in the train even). If they shut the site down later, it's gone. If someone could come up with a (copy-proofed) way of producing them in pdf or similar format, I would have them in a shot.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The downside of these is that they are not "yours". Although charged as if you are owning it, they are on the supplier's website and you are wholly dependent on them (and on having an Internet connection, so can't take it to read in the train even). If they shut the site down later, it's gone. If someone could come up with a (copy-proofed) way of producing them in pdf or similar format, I would have them in a shot.

Are there many trains that don't now have wifi?

In any case, you can download the Pocketmags stuff to a device and don't then require Internet access to read it. I've read MR on a plane on an iPad.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Modern Railways this month has been truly excellent , with a fine run down on current issues. "best kid on the block" ...

davetheguard

Established Member
It looks like Platform 5 are, at least at the moment, the odd ones out by not continuing to publish. I wonder if there are any specific reasons, perhaps unique to them, that have caused that decision to be made. No doubt the regular readers of Today's Railways are missing their favourite magazines.

Wolvercoter

I can't get hold of a hard copy of Rail Express for May 2020. I bought one from Mortons who then told me they were out of stock and refunded my money.

I have every edition of RE since No1... until now... but if I'm honest, I've been thinking of not buying it any more. I think this is decision made! I prefer Today's Railways and am kind of glad they're taking a break.

theblackwatch

Established Member
I can't get hold of a hard copy of Rail Express for May 2020. I bought one from Mortons who then told me they were out of stock and refunded my money.

I have every edition of RE since No1... until now... but if I'm honest, I've been thinking of not buying it any more. I think this is decision made! I prefer Today's Railways and am kind of glad they're taking a break.

You may find that Mortons get some return copies (ie copies not sold by shops) in during the next week or two so it will be 'in stock' again. Obviously no good for the current issue, but Mortons are also doing a '3 issues for £6' offer on Rail Express which is quite a good deal - the link for it is https://www.classicmagazines.co.uk/promotion/reins35/

Andyh82

Established Member
Anyone know what’s happening with Today’s Railways UK. It still doesn’t seem to have restarted.

geoffk

Established Member
Yes A new issue 221 (July) came out a week or so ago. Can't remember when I had mine.

Established Member
For anyone interested Groupon have a 2 month free offer on the Readly app, which has absolutely loads of magazines online to read. After that it’s £7.99 per month but you do get a £10 amazon voucher, so maybe worth paying for one extra month. On there I found Rail, Modern Railways, Railways Illustrated amongst others..

superjohn

Hope it’s for good IMO.
Why is that? You may not like their publications but you don’t have to buy them. I don’t see a reason why they should stop publishing if they have enough readers to continue.

I still get Today’s Railway’s Europe as I find the articles very interesting. My language skills don’t extend to reading that kind of thing online.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.