• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which newbuild are you Looking forward too the most

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrimShady

Established Member
Wasn't a class 29 replica being considered at one point? I seem to recall suitable bogies and engine had been found for it.

I believe it was yes. I'll do some digging as I think it's still on the go

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I believe it was yes. I'll do some digging as I think it's still on the go
There was a chap who used to post on here (might still do) who wanted to get it off the ground - a class 21 I think, using 27007 as a base chassis.
I think he had an original power unit in a container at Bo Ness.
There’s also a project to build a 63XX (class 22) diesel hydraulic.

Edders23

Wasn't a class 29 replica being considered at one point? I seem to recall suitable bogies and engine had been found for it.

I think that is the class 22 project who seem to have a lot of energy but a mountain to climb

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Sorry, I didn't entirely pick up which forum this was in (referring more to new-build steam etc) as I read all forums via "new posts" :)
I was responding to post #24 in this thread, with my tongue firmly in cheek :)

GrimShady

Established Member
There was a chap who used to post on here (might still do) who wanted to get it off the ground - a class 21 I think, using 27007 as a base chassis.
I think he had an original power unit in a container at Bo Ness.
There’s also a project to build a 63XX (class 22) diesel hydraulic.

Cutting up a 27 is a bit extreme!

I do like the look of NBL locos even if they are lemons.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think I would like to see a gas turbine loco actually restored/created to running condition.
This might be a good base locomotive to start with... ;)
DF1B2F96-65E8-45A8-8A3A-20E6FC6795B4.jpeg
(Photo from Wikipedia site)
Just need a few later alterations restoring to original condition, and some new innards of course.
I would’ve loved a trip behind one of the old ‘Kerosene Castles’.
It’s quite amazing that there’s still one left really.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

mark edwards

View attachment 53135
Just need a few later alterations restoring to original condition, and some new innards of course.

Hi and thanks. Yes I was thinking of that locomotive. As a extraordinary survivor and a unique locomotive I think as a demonstration of a line of prototype locomotive power in the UK I think it would be a great locomotive to restore.

HowardGWR

Established Member
Serious answer in order of interest:
Baby Deltic
Grange
County
Patriot.

The thing I’m most looking forward to seeing in the future though, and I know it’s not new build, but it feels like it. Is the class 28 CoBo running again.
Don't forget that there are now two 'County' projects on the go. Which one did you have in mind? (I suspect the 4-6-0).
I would like to see a Dean Single, but only with original boiler and finish.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Don't forget that there are now two 'County' projects on the go. Which one did you have in mind? (I suspect the 4-6-0).
I would like to see a Dean Single, but only with original boiler and finish.
Well I meant the 4-6-0 version, but the 4-4-0 one will be interesting to sample when it eventually (possibly) happens.
I’ve got no issue with all of these recreations, even if the 4-6-0 County incorporates an 8F boiler. There’s plenty of GWR/BR (WR) types around, so it’s not like we’re losing rare motive power in the grand scheme of things

reddragon

Established Member
View attachment 53135

It has 4 DC traction motors so a battery pack / diesel & genny and it could move!

Pigeon

Has it? One of them went pop about a third of the way through its trial operation on the WR and was never fixed, and I thought that for its subsequent use abroad as a passive test vehicle they were all taken out, being a potential source of mechanical failures and not being needed for the duty.

Neil Urquhart

Has it? One of them went pop about a third of the way through its trial operation on the WR and was never fixed, and I thought that for its subsequent use abroad as a passive test vehicle they were all taken out, is a potential source of mechanical failures and not being needed for the duty.

What sort of testing was it used for, if it was adhesion testing (and I have a feeling that I might have read somewhere that it was) then it might have retained at least one traction motor?

In terms of making it go, I guess that traction motors could be sourced (presumably they will be common to something else), but finding a suitable gas turbine and generator might be an issue unless similar Brown Boveri units were used in other applications and might have survived? There's also the question of the aux. diesel generator which would also need to be reinstated. From the photos, it looks as if you'd be building a new loco using an existing shell as the basis.

The biggest issue would be finding expertise and money, for what is really a very niche project.

then

Pigeon

I did have a book which gave all the details of the conversion, but I've lost it...

I think it was mostly used as a dead weight load, but for tests of tractive ability it was fitted with a power bogie off a French electric loco, fed via an umbilical.

The gas turbine I think was more or less a one-off; certainly the installed configuration was. They were themselves pretty much of an experimental technology at the time and it was tailored to the application. At the time the order was first made there were only one or two gas turbines in use anywhere for delivering shaft power, and one experimental Swiss locomotive also by BB which was considerably less powerful. 18000 was in a sense the next stage of development on from that locomotive, but being still a very early stage it was similarly unique.

The auxiliary generator did use standard components, so finding the bits to put together something essentially correct at least as far as major items are concerned should be a bit more possible.

You are right that it would be a case of taking a shell and putting new bits in it, but at least we do have the shell!

aylesbury

I am looking forward to the new Gresley K4 this will be an interesting loco to see plus it will run on a wide variety of lines.

Neil Urquhart

I did have a book which gave all the details of the conversion, but I've lost it...

I think it was mostly used as a dead weight load, but for tests of tractive ability it was fitted with a power bogie off a French electric loco, fed via an umbilical.

The gas turbine I think was more or less a one-off; certainly the installed configuration was. They were themselves pretty much of an experimental technology at the time and it was tailored to the application. At the time the order was first made there were only one or two gas turbines in use anywhere for delivering shaft power, and one experimental Swiss locomotive also by BB which was considerably less powerful. 18000 was in a sense the next stage of development on from that locomotive, but being still a very early stage it was similarly unique.

The auxiliary generator did use standard components, so finding the bits to put together something essentially correct at least as far as major items are concerned should be a bit more possible.

You are right that it would be a case of taking a shell and putting new bits in it, but at least we do have the shell!

That makes sense, I'm sure I've seen a photo of it on a test train with power cables being fed into it from another loco.

I am looking forward to the new Gresley K4 this will be an interesting loco to see plus it will run on a wide variety of lines.

Didn't know that some one was building another K4. I take it that the new machine is going to replace the Great Marquess out there in the big wide world. Could it be the next new build V4 planned by Mark Allart & Co at Darlington, you're referring to perchance?

Last edited:

silverfoxcc

I would like to see an LNER B17 finished but with two on the go, cannot see it, one is trying to be sponsored by ManU suppoerters, the other is a parochial East Anglian effort run by one chap, or so it seems, he is the only one that gives talks,is the main contact etc. Shame really because if they got their act together like the A1 and P2 groups and get a number of speakers out ,it might get a few more subscribers. I really get the feeling when he dies, so will the project. The only way is for them to combine but as the ManU mob were a splinter group from the other lot!...i doubt it
Other than that the LNER D16 run by a group of younger enthusiasts, or the projected A1/P2 mob V4

mushroomchow

I would like to see an LNER B17 finished but with two on the go, cannot see it, one is trying to be sponsored by ManU suppoerters, the other is a parochial East Anglian effort run by one chap, or so it seems, he is the only one that gives talks,is the main contact etc. Shame really because if they got their act together like the A1 and P2 groups and get a number of speakers out ,it might get a few more subscribers. I really get the feeling when he dies, so will the project. The only way is for them to combine but as the ManU mob were a splinter group from the other lot!...i doubt it

Don't need one anyway, we've already got a "footy" 9F at the GCR after all that title-winning lark. ;)

Goldie

P2 for me. I remember seeing a picture of a brand new, absolutely pristine Cock O' the North in my dad's copy of LNER Reflections when I was little, and thinking it was the most fantastic thing I'd ever seen. It's pure wish fulfillment to see one actually being built.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Re the P2 projects - I'm sure the A1SLT P2 will be built and finished first, but would they ever consider having an A4 style front end fitted as a variant after a few years? I know it would not be "Authentic" as the valve gear would be still Lentz - but it would certainly maintain publicity and interest in the locomotive. That would obviously affect the Doncaster P2 project, but possibly in a positive way(?) as that project is progressing a lot more slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.