• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which nrm locomotive would you like to see return to steam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Not a locomotive, but their 2BIL used to travel around the Southern in my childhood. I'd like to see that on the rails again.

timj

One of the old diesels with its steam heating boiler working would be great

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Any which will offer a financial return to the NRM to continue their work. That wont be a unit, and electric or even a diesel. I say Mallard.

A0wen

On Moderation
The Stirling 8' - No 1.

Or 506 Butler Henderson - the only surviving GCR passenger loco.

I get DarloRich's point about Mallard - but would counter that with the fact there are several A4s already certified for use - wouldn't it be nicer to have something that isn't represented?

mushroomchow

I would be inclined to say Mallard, but the thought of both it and Scotsman active on the network at the same time, and the associated gricer / general public frenzy, must send chills down the spine of British Transport Police. :rolleyes: It's the second most famous locomotive in the UK (arguably the world) after 4472 and would probably have the same effect in terms of line encroachment and general public idiocy when running on the mainline.

I would love, love, LOVE to see GNR No. 1 back in steam. I've seen pictures of it running on the GCR back in the 1980s and it would be wonderful to see it running here now the double track is complete. It would look brilliant with the GCR 6 Wheeler or (when completed) the Barnum Coach under restoration at GCR(N). :)

DelW

Established Member
Duchess of Hamilton - in its streamlined form.
+1

For most of my lifetime I assumed that I'd been about a decade too late to ever see one in streamlined form. As a child I had a favourite jigsaw of a streamlined blue Duchess and train, and I was really pleased when 6229 was re-streamlined even if it was in maroon. I headed straight for the NRM to see it when it arrived there (and several times since). I would love to see it in action, even at 75mph maximum.

For me, 6229 steaming streamlined, 6233 steaming unstreamlined, and 6235 kept in ex-BR condition as a reference piece, is an ideal combination.

pdeaves

Established Member
It would never happen for obvious, understandable reasons but I would quite like to see Rocket or one of the other pioneers of that era in steam. I know there are replicas, but somehow they don't 'seem right'. Perhaps the yellow paint on the Rocket replica is too sterile or something. Anyway, in my fantasy world, such steamings would generate something of the awe of the new fangled railway from an era when most people had never seen a machine more complicated than a horse cart.

OK I'm going to have a "double bite" of the cherry. My double choice being North Eastern class M [LNER D17] 4-4-0 1621 and Great Northern large boilered C1 Atlantic 4-4-2 251 both of which preserved by the LNER just after the Second World War. Whilst the late Alan Pegler had 251 restored to steam in the early fifties, 1621 has never steamed since preservation in 1946-7. 251 is also the only surviving Great Northern loco I haven't seen in steam.......

Flying Phil

Established Member
I did see - and have a ride behind GNR No1 (Stirling Single) when it was on the GCR and it looked fantastic - so elegant and stately. It was driven very spiritedly too......
But my vote, if allowed only one, would also be ......Duchess of Hamilton in its present streamlined form. That is the one that would be a financial winner as well.

I did see - and have a ride behind GNR No1 (Stirling Single) when it was on the GCR and it looked fantastic - so elegant and stately. It was driven very spiritedly too......
But my vote, if allowed only one, would also be ......Duchess of Hamilton in its present streamlined form. That is the one that would be a financial winner as well.

Indeed the N.R.M. were unwilling to restore Hamilton in none streamlined form with sister Loco Duchess of Sutherland in working order. Unless Hamilton had the streamlining restored and someone else financing the overhaul. Be great though to see her running as a streamliner and compare he performance to an A4.......

Bedpan

Established Member
The 2-BIL would be my favourite (not to steam again though!!). Could there be any possibility of running it on London Underground tracks, say the Watford branch. Hasn't the Metropolitan Railway set of carriages been used on the Metropolitan Line? Isn't that wooden bodied too? Re steam, Mallard and others mentioned above are the most sensible options but I would very much like top see the Q1 back in steam and out on the main line.

xotGD

Established Member
Only one possible answer - return 'DELTIC' to mainline operation.

Spartacus

Established Member
Got to go for a streamlined Hamilton, ahead of Green Arrow and Mallard, although as it gets closer to Mallard's 126mph centenary I know I'll be rooting for Mallard. I don't think the issue of Green Arrow's cylinder block needs to be that much of a big deal these days, and the original could then be put on display.

Lode Star might be a nice one to see, it could handle trains on the main line, and I suspect then Stanier 2-6-4T would be good for preserved lines, even if it didn't really have any main line potential, it might be cheaper to do a tank loco. Evening Star would also be up there if it wasn't for the difficulties in getting 9Fs cleared to go on the main line at all. I think the cost of doing such a large loco would realistically have to be offset by main line running.

P.S. Hadn't Deltic more or less been ruled out due to gauging issues?

Steam loco

On Moderation
The stainer tank was rumerd to be having an overhaul but because of scotsman expensive overhaul it's been canselled

DelW

Established Member
In these days of locos swapping IDs, would it be feasible / sufficient to give one of the production locos a nose job and the blue livery? or are there too many other differences for that to be convincing enough?

(Not that swapping IDs is new, of course)

deltic1989

Established Member

That would be brilliant.
However. (and forgive me if I'm being daft here) Would that particular locomotive require the assosiated front end stuff that other mainline diesels require? e.g. Sealed beam headlight, and yellow panels. Which for me would ruin the asthetic.

I suppose the headlight could be got round by putting it in the place that the designer intended.

Eyersey468

Established Member
Not sure if they are owned by the NRM but either 6000 King George V or Caerphilly Castle

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Whilst the 2-BIL has a wooden body, so does Didcot's main line registered steam rail motor set!

So yes, the 2 BIL could run again, probably on a branch line alone as did the railmotor.
I know that it’s not authentic, but could preserved 3rd rail stock run on the Met occasionally if TfL permitted it?

Status
Not open for further replies.