• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which one should I pick ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fhs man 2

I have been given the option of Scotrail First Class or East Coast First Class which one should I pick ? The journey will be 1 hour 15 minutes. The ticket is any permitted.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wintonian

Established Member
I wouldn't bother with the Scotrail one at Edinburgh if you are going that way, haven't tried the EC one - their staff being quite active in making sure you don't find it being the main reason.

fhs man 2

I wouldn't bother with the Scotrail one at Edinburgh if you are going that way, haven't tried the EC one - their staff being quite active in making sure you don't find it being the main reason.

I am travelling from Aberdeen to Dundee, there is a lounge at Aberdeen.

I have used the EC lounge at Edinburgh and there was no-one there when I went there but I found it to be really good, there are food & drink facilities, a screen showing departures and a TV stuck on news channels.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

What benefits do you get with East Coast compared to Scotrail ?

Last edited:

wintonian

Established Member
I am travelling from Aberdeen to Dundee, there is a lounge at Aberdeen.

I have used the EC lounge at Edinburgh and there was no-one there when I went there but I found it to be really good, there are food & drink facilities, a screen showing departures and a TV stuck on news channels.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

What benefits do you get with East Coast compared to Scotrail ?

East Coast
A HST with breakfast, lunch or dinner and tea/ coffee plus alcohol.

Scotrail
Just one end of a carriage with a trolley, hot drink and biscuit.

Established Member
If Aberdeen to Dundee is 1 hour 15 mins then it is under the 90 minute cut off, so in theory you shouldn't get a breakfast.

stuart

Scotrail
Just one end of a carriage with a trolley, hot drink and biscuit.

That's if (a) they bother to put on a train with actual first class seating in the first place and (b) the trolley operator can actually be bothered to wheel the thing the length of three whole coaches. Sorry if I sound cynical, but my recent experience of Scotrail first class is that it's a joke and not worthy of the name.

Established Member
Sometimes they will ask where you are going, which is the easiest way. I could easily sit in a seat with a reservation from Newcastle to King's Cross where a person hasn't turned up, with a 1st class ticket between Newcastle and Darlington, have my breakfast and get off at Darlington.

Status
Not open for further replies.