• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which parts of the UK have you travelled by train in?

Which of these countries have you caught a train in?

• Scotland only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wales only

• Northern Ireland only

• England & Northern Ireland

• Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland

• Scotland & Wales

• Scotland & Northern Ireland

• Wales & Northern Ireland

• None of them

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

backontrack

Established Member
Self-explanatory. For me, it's only England and Scotland. Only the national networks allowed, no heritage trains count in the poll. However, you can post about them in the thread.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
I qualify for "Scotland, Wales, England and Northern Ireland"; but re the last-named, only just. My one visit to N.I. to date, was literally a one day's excursion in late 1969, with the objective of seeing the steam-worked motorway-construction spoil trains. (Maddeningly, they turned out not to be running that day, because of a derailment in a crucial spot at the loading point.) My only rail travel in Northern Ireland, accomplished on that day, has been Bellfast York Road -- Greenisland, and Belfast Queen's Quay -- Bangor. However, I plan a holiday in the province later this month, including travelling over all lines there with passenger services.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
All three mainland constituent countries, but nothing West of Teignmouth or East of Upminster/Ashford to Rye in the South of England. Furthest South being either Brighton or Teignmouth (would need to check a map!). Furthest West outside of Devon is either Aberystwyth, Porthmadog or Bangor, with Grangetown being the furthest into South Wales. Furthest East overall is either Scarborough or Rye. Furthest North is the Edinburgh to Glasgow via Falkirk High, or Dumbarton Central.

Last edited:

telstarbox

Established Member
NI for me is a very token effort, in the form of a one-way Slowship Enterprise trip from Newry to Dublin.

Most of my Wales and Scotland trips were on the forum challenges in Cardiff and Strathclyde a few years ago.

I've done a few heavy rail short hops in France and Spain, and light rail in France, Spain, Portugal and the Czech Republic.

Last edited:

steamybrian

Established Member
I have done the entire system in England, Scotland and Wales except for some short connecting lines and spurs.
The only line in NI was from Belfast Central to Dublin and return.
I have done the majority of the system in Ireland.
Abroad I have travelled by rail in France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Luxembourg, Last year travelled by rail in Majorca.

AJM580

Have done all of them, and also rail mileage in France, Republic of Ireland, Belgium and USA (California & Florida). Managed to get to all of the extremities of the UK network, Arisaig (furthest west), Thurso (furthest north), Penzance (south) & Lowestoft (east)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
If we're adding overseas travel, my European rail travel is as follows:

FRANCE: Villefranche-de-Conflent to Latour-Carol (le petit train jaune) in that direction only. A few short hops in the central area on the Paris Metro.

GERMANY: Unna to both Dortmund and Köln, plus a handful of local journeys between Unna and Hölzwickede. Munich metro between the city centre and Airport. EDIT: Forgot to mention the Köln U-Bahn which I travelled on a fair bit the week I was there, back in 1994.

AUSTRIA: Kirchdorf an der Krems to Windischgarsten, Linz, and Salzburg. A few trips on the Linzer Straßenbahn.

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
My “uttermost” in Great Britain: south and west, Penzance. East, Lowestoft. North – I think, Lochluichart (I’ve done Dingwall – Kyle of Lochalsh, but not the Far North line beyond Dingwall).

As we’re onto foreign parts -- to my best recollection, my shortest rail run in any foreign country: in 1984, in the then Soviet Ukraine. In the far south-eastern corner of Poland, the Polish State Railways ran a couple of trains per day with passenger accommodation, between Zagórz and Przemyśl, traversing in the middle portion of their journey some 40 kilometres of Soviet (Ukraine) territory – train duly locked-and-sealed; and halted at the border both ends, to embark / disembark a squad of Soviet border guards to make sure of “no funny business”. On my journey, our mixed train "ex the Z-place" was hauled (as standard at that time) by a Polish, ex-German “Kriegslok” 2-10-0; throughout, mixed-gauge track, 1435mm (general European four-feet-eight-and-a-half) and 1524mm (Russian). Disappointingly little rail action seen on Soviet soil – it was a Sunday, which maybe even in the atheist USSR was reckoned a “day off” for most folks? Approx. 100 kilometres covered in timetabled four hours -- quite good going for Polish lesser rail lines in the 1980s.

Established Member
I've travelled by rail in four countries, England, Scotland, Wales and France. Would like to do Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland as well as others (Germany and the USA are two that are high on the list) in the future though.

alex17595

I have done Arisaig/Lowestoft/Thruso but the furthest east station I have been on is Milford Haven but I didn't take the train.

I have done reasonable distances in France/Switzerland/Spain as well.

Railsigns

Established Member
I've done the entire passenger networks in Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, and the vast majority of England and Wales.

Overseas, I've travelled on trains in: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada*, Chile*, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, India, Italy, Japan, Kazakhstan%, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malaysia, Monaco, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Serbia, Singapore*, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Arab Emirates* and United States.

[* = Metro only; % = Cab ride on freight line only]

Last edited:

Established Member
I had cleared all the mainline track a number of years ago in the UK and Republic of Ireland but there are quite a few new bits now that I really ought to catch up with.

The reason for this is spending far too much time abroad where I have done the vast majority of track in Austria, Belgium, Bosnia, Croatia, Estonia, Greece, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Portugal, Slovenia and Switzerland as well as large parts of Germany and the Netherlands. Other countries where I have done odd bits are Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Hungary, Spain and Sweden, and I have barely scratched the surface in Italy, Poland, Serbia, Slovakia and Turkey so still loads to go for :D

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Not many in the Scotland & Wales only bit I bet.
I assume if a train from Cardiff to Holyhead via Shrewsbury was taken it would be Wales Only?

I've never been on a train (excluding heritage) outside of TOCs that operate in the North & the East Midlands, I was taken around by car when younger.

Calthrop

Established Member
I've done the entire passenger networks in Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, and the vast majority of England and Wales.

For the British Isles: I've covered the large majority of surviving passenger routes in England and Wales; but have several big gaps re Scotland. (I've done everything that remains in the Isle of Man, FWIW !) Have barely scratched the surface of Ireland (either part).

I had cleared all the mainline track a number of years ago in the UK and Republic of Ireland but there are quite a few new bits now that I really ought to catch up with.

The reason for this is spending far too much time abroad where I have done the vast majority of track in Austria, Belgium, Bosnia, Croatia, Estonia, Greece, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Portugal, Slovenia and Switzerland as well as large parts of Germany and the Netherlands. Other countries where I have done odd bits are Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Hungary, Spain and Sweden, and I have barely scratched the surface in Italy, Poland, Serbia, Slovakia and Turkey so still loads to go for :D

Too right, you slothful person ! Call yourself a European continental basher? What about Albania, Belarus, Finland, Macedonia, Moldova, Norway, Romania, Russia and Ukraine? (To say nothing of the countries in the Caucasus, if one counts them with Europe.) I jest: am in awe of what you've achieved !

W-on-Sea

Established Member
All four UK countries to varying degrees, but not the Republic of Ireland at all.

Abroad - a lot of train travel over much of Italy, on both the national network and various private lines. A fair bit of the TGV network and a few other bits and bobs in France, quite a bit of Belgium, a little bit of the Netherlands, some Germany,Spain, Slovenia, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Ukraine, Latvia, Russia (not very much there, though - just local trains outside St Petersburg), Georgia and, last but not least (the most luxurious and beautiful sleeper train I have ever seen, let alone travelled on - "The Silk Road Orient Express", from Tashkent to Bukhara), in Uzbekistan.

Established Member
Too right, you slothful person ! Call yourself a European continental basher? What about Albania, Belarus, Finland, Macedonia, Moldova, Norway, Romania, Russia and Ukraine? (To say nothing of the countries in the Caucasus, if one counts them with Europe.) I jest: am in awe of what you've achieved !
:lol: There are a couple of places on your list that I would be interested in visiting but what usually happens is I tend to concentrate on countries I have already started (including haulage) until I run out of things to do / get bored / too many nasty new plastic units turn up! There is also the fact that I like some countries a lot more than others so am more inclined to go back to those places even if there is not much required in the way of track or haulage.

trainmania100

Established Member
ive been all over the south.
Ive been to Bedford, southampton, bristol, weymouth, chatham dover london and all inbetween

Crossover

Established Member
England, Scotland and Wales for me. Have travelled on a handful of services in RoI but only on the roads of Northern Ireland via car and bus

Having reached Thurso and Penzance by train, I have travelled to both the most northerly and southerly points of the country served by rail

Cambus731

I've done probably the majority of lines in Great Britain and I have made an effort to get rare track in here and there. But there are still great gaps eg anything west of Cardiff or Shrewsbury or great chunks of Lincolnshire. Plus I still require loads of the network around Glasgow, including the West Highland lines.
I did a fair bit of the Eire system back in 2003 but I have still never set foot in Northern Ireland. As for the European mainland, I have done very little .
I have done Ostende to Liege, Amsterdam to Utrecht and Salzburg to Berchtesgaden and Salzburg to Munich.

Polarbear

Established Member
There was a time when I had cleared all of the passenger rail network in England, Wales & Scotland. My trouble is that lines keep re-opening & I'm a bit behind schedule!:D

Northern Ireland is another matter as I've only managed Belfast to Larne, together with some of the line toward Coleraine, only to be bowled out by my 450 running over something & getting de-trained somewhere en route.

Minilad

Established Member
Not really a track basher as such but have done a big majority of lines in England and Wales. Nothing north of Inverness in JockoLand though.
Overseas have done at least one train in NI, France, Spain, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, USA and Canada. And I will be breaking my Republic of Ireland virginity later this month on a cheapo Ryanair day trip to Dublin

Busaholic

Veteran Member
What was that song from my youth - I've Been Everywhere, went something like
'I've been everywhere, man, I've been everywhere,
Of trouble I've had my share, man, I've been everywhere'
then followed by a breakneck-speed recitation of mostly tongue-twisting North American place names, like Tallahassee. Can't remember them all, man, it was the sixties and I WAS there.

Groningen

Established Member
Northern Ireland and Ireland are the only countries i will always remember what i did.

Dublin - Belfast - Londonderry - Belfast - Dublin
Dublin - Cork - Portarlington - Galway - Dublin - Waterford - Rosslare

2 days and i was gone!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Done all 4 parts of the UK and cleared the passenger lines in all 4 parts too, bar heritage lines and freight lines. Too many of them to do yet...

djpontrack

I've done all the passenger lines in England , Scotland , Wales & N Ireland . Done most of the freight lines and heritage lines. The only tram line I need is the new bit to Bull St in Birmingham which I hope to do at the end of the month. I also did a lot of freight lines in the 80s and 90s that are sadly now gone. Still need a couple of lines in the Irish Republic.

Status
Not open for further replies.