Which past bus operators do you miss?

Discussion in 'Buses & Coaches' started by backontrack, 14 Apr 2018.

1. backontrack

backontrack Established Member

Are there any bus operators that have since folded or moved out of your area that you miss in particular?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Ianno87

Ianno87 Established Member

Blue Bus of Bolton. Pre-their Arriva takeover in 2005, were a very welcome relief from First Manchester in the area, and were quite innovative with some of their routes (even if they gave up too quickly sometimes)

4. Batman

Batman Member

Chase buses.

The depot was in Burntwood but they operated mainly in the Walsall area.

They went bust in about 2007 and most of their routes got taken over by Arriva.

The Layland Nationals they used on the Walsall - Cannock route were in very good conditions for their age.

5. backontrack

backontrack Established Member

Rapsons & Orkney Coaches for me. Lots of nostalgia and memories for me. Since they ceased operations, Stagecoach have cut a lot of the routes too.

6. aformeruser

aformeruser Veteran Member

Star Line Travel of Knutsford. They operated modern Mercedes and Dennis buses in the early 1990s when many operators were using clapped out Leyland buses. They had operations in South Manchester as well as Cheshire with North Western (now Arriva North West) purchasing them primarily for the South Manchester operations - ironically one of the operators using clapped out Leyland buses! Initially the kept the Star Line brand for some routes and used modern buses on Star Line branded routes.

Star Line also had a coach division which traded as Star Line Travel but was a joint venture between Star Line and Bullocks. Consequently when Star Line was sold the coach division was split between Bullocks and North Western with North Western selling their share to Selwyns.

The former owner of Star Line Travel went on to set up Mistral leasing after selling Star Line Travel.

7. overthewater

overthewater Established Member

To be fair. Both Rapson and Stagecoach highlands were losing money, and Stagecoach cuts only come about because it lost tenders.

I do mist Mckindless a bit, there alot least keep First in Check, but most people will say Hutchison ( 11 years now)

8. TheGrandWazoo

TheGrandWazoo Veteran Member

Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
    Chase didn’t go bust. They sold out to Arriva before that happened!

9. Dentonian

Dentonian Established Member

None. Next question.............

10. Statto

Statto Established Member

Crosville, before it was split in 86, GM Buses, before that was split into North & South, loved the GM express network, which had dedicated buses with dual purpose seating, in different livery, although i did like the the standard Orange, White livery.

11. SCH117X

SCH117X Member

South Notts - promoted as how all bus companies should be with cheap fares and conductors at the time of the 1986 Act, they soon came under attack, went to one man operation and sold up five years later

12. Ianno87

Ianno87 Established Member

Ah, yes. Remember the GM Express 9s in Blackrod!

13. Dentonian

Dentonian Established Member

And the 32, 34, 90, 400, 401, 402 and various others. Those were the days!

14. Busaholic

Busaholic Established Member

Western Greyhound, although their legacy has been a much improved First in Cornwall.

Taking the question literally, I would also include London Transport. I look forward to the day when TfL (or whatever the organisation is then called) takes back operation of,as well as responsibility for, London's buses. I'm not holding my breath - possibly, if I live to 100 I may see it.:smile:

Last edited: 14 Apr 2018
  15. randyrippley

randyrippley Established Member

Lancaster City Transport

It was always interesting to see what Tommy Knowles' latest mad purchase of buses had been
    During the two or three years of the "war" with Stagecoach, each second hand purchase became more exotic

16. martinsh

martinsh Established Member

Second South Notts - should have guessed that from your user name !!

17. martinsh

martinsh Established Member

ALso

Green Bus, Cannock with their lowbridge Guy Arab
    Blue Bus, Willington
    Pooles, Alsagers Bank
    Chester City Transport - Guy Arabs again
    Purple Motors, Bethesda - ex Trent Tiger Cub
    South Lancs
    Gash of Newark - Daimler CVGs from 1940s running well into the 80s
    Maynes of Manchester
    Rhymney Valley DC
    Soudley Valley - tiger Cubs and Harrington bodied coaches
    Darlington CT
    Rossie Motors, Rossington
    South Yorkshire, Pontefract
    Chesterfield CT
    Booth & Fisher, Halfway - Albion Nimbuses !

I could go on forever ...

How could I forget Devon General ...

18. atraindriver

atraindriver Member

<deleted>

Last edited: 22 Jul 2019
  19. atraindriver

atraindriver Member

<deleted>

20. TT-ONR-NRN

TT-ONR-NRN On Moderation

Western Greyhound

21. Mwanesh

Mwanesh Member

I dont think Tfl will ever want to run the buses themselves.With the different driver rates across the network its a minefield.And another thing with their almost £1billion deficit they have other things on their tableat present.

22. SCH117X

SCH117X Member

Barton really dropped a clanger at deregulation by registering their whole network commercially with the exception of the already subsided services which they lost to other operators. They did seem to finally grasp the situation as the 1987 end of year Chairmans report (Source: Barton Part 3, Alan Oxley 1994) referred to unviable services being withdrawn to concentrate on city and urban routes, so what has happened under Wellglade is really a follow through of that objective. The list of operators that competed with them almost seems never ending; Camms, NCT, Midland Fox, Stevensons, Leicester City Transport/ Loughborough Bus & Coach , Dunn Line and Gagg (who Barton did buy out). Its noticeable that neither Kinch Line, who were presumably too obsessed screwing South Notts, and Trent, competed (in Trents case that is no more than pre deregulation); wonder how quickly Wellglade earmarked Barton as a potential purchase and did not want to appear as an aggressive buy out.

23. randyrippley

randyrippley Established Member

Strangely, it wasn't unknown for Devon General red-liveried buses to get as far as Yeovil on the 264 from Taunton. Presumably temporary loans.

24. ashworth

ashworth Established Member

An operator that was even bigger than Barton in Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire was Midland General which was taken over by Trent in 1972. It was part of the Balfour Beaty Group but operated a very extensive network of routes especially in the Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire coal mining areas. Towns along the border between the two counties like Eastwood, Heanor, Ilkeston, Ripley and Alfreton were all served by Midlands General. They also had many services into Nottinghamshire towns like Hucknall, Kirkby and Sutton in Ashfield and Mansfield. There was quite an extensive network of services serving urban areas in the west of the City of Nottingham especially in the Wollaton area. Just like Barton’s routes Trent were very quick to cut services after they took them over.

25. mic

mic Member

pennine blue that had great Bristol REs in service 2 of which are noe preserved been WHW 374H and NHB 190M

26. atraindriver

atraindriver Member

<deleted>

27. 96tommy

96tommy Member

There are a number of bus operators what I miss. However the main 2 I would say are

- Yorkshire Coastliner pre-Transdev - the service generally just seemed a lot better than it is nowadays, more customer friendly and better buses
    - Connexions (York Country/County Buses) - run by Adam Askew I believe and operated routes such as C1 (Tadcaster - York Askham Bar via Appleton Roebuck) - today run as the 21 from Colton - York Foss Islands and C3 (Tadcaster - York via Askham Bryan) - today run as the 37. The service was run using a MB Vario/Plaxton Beaver before a few Darts came. Served the villages between Tadcaster and York providing a link to a number of villages to/from Tadcaster which has now been sadly lost. Used to run Sunday only services to Helmsley which I frequented quite often.

28. ChathillMan

ChathillMan Member

Northumbria Motor Services - Loved the livery and in its prime, virtually every bus had coach style seating - even town minibus services. I even remember the trial when thebput TVs onboard.

Network was huge, even Wooler was served. and the Town Minibus networks were very extensive.

It later morphed in to Arriva Northumbria after takeover, a number of depots, travelshops and routes were cut and its just not the same.

29. PeterC

PeterC Established Member

Just about everything from my bus spotting days in the mid 1960s

Simply for some of the "exotic" names the Welsh local authority fleets in the valleys found in my Ian Allen books. I don't think that I ever saw one of their vehicles but for an operator name it is difficult to beat "Bedwas and Machen Urban District Council".

30. 507021

507021 Established Member

Glenvale Transport.

31. Busaholic

Busaholic Established Member

I'll counter with the Stalybridge, Hyde, Mossley and Dukinfield Electricity and Transport Board. No, I never saw any of their buses (in fact, I've never knowingly set foot in any of those towns) but I loved to see that entry in Buses Illustrated, although it was usually abbreviated to SHMD Board.