• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which past bus operators do you miss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jammy36

WG circa 2010 when they were driving first out I miss. Enthusiast cap on the variety of their later days, but as a passenger those days are best gone

I've always been a little undecided re the reality of Western Greyhound. Their modus operandi was obviously very effective and when at their peak the spread and expansions of their operation was impressive, but conversely First were pretty dire at the time. However, I sometimes found the industry impression of them a little different to the on the ground perspectives. Their network was built in the back of the Vario / Beaver 2 combo, but from a passenger perspective these weren't vehicles many would look back on with fondness - not the most comfortable, rattly, bouncy and tiring over any long journey on rural roads. Journeys often required changes, often in locations that were convenient for the company, rather than the passenger.

Truronian is another Cornish example I miss. Again they had a 'peak period', but they did do some innovative stuff (for Cornwall). Their first low floor SLFs for the T1 coast to coast service were a step above what other local operators were using - buggy and wheelchair friendly, radios, a Lego board on the side of the buggy bay, upholstered (carpet/moquette) panelling. Similarly some of their work on initiatives like the Helston Branchline and Eden Branchline were good models for integrating bus and rail. Also their work with the council on the Trevithic Link routes. Certainly a mixed operator, but in some ways a little more innovative than the much plauded Western Greyhound.

On a personal perspective I'd also add Jennings of Bude. Their friendly drivers and bright orange and white coaches on the service to Exeter are something fondly remembered from my childhood - plus peeping into the gloom of their Lansdowne Road garage to see what coaches were there.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SCH117X

Established Member
Another one is the Burnley and Pendle incarnation as reconstituted by Blazefield in about 2003- 2006 before Transdev took over. I thought their buses had a really classy livery and fleetnamee
That was a standard Blazefield livery layout although yes they did have a classy appearance with the well kept appearance. Harrogate was the same as Burnley (shade of red I think may have changed), Lancs Utd and Coastliner Blue and Keighley light blue. Its noticeable in the current Transdev Blazefield fleets how down at heel Rosso vehicles look compared to the remainder with their usually mucky wheels; something that will probably improve with some of the fleet now based at Blackburn and Burnley. The lack of adverts helps as well and as Transdev Blazefields MD is opposed to them expect the Rosso fleet be de-advertised as contracts expires.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Were you in a coma between 1972 and 1986(ish)? You seem to have missed the 14-or-so years when East Yorkshire buses were painted NBC poppy-red. After privatisation a few vehicles have been painted indigo for specific purposes: such as the Routemasters on the East Hull services, and the vehicles on the Petuaria Express.

Even worse, I left Hull in 1973 and went into exile down south after Bradford FC went bust!

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
All of the 99 or so municipal operators on the UK traffic commissioners map of 1967. When they went every place they existed lost a little bit of their soul and identity.

Status
Not open for further replies.