• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which platform will my train depart from - iPhone functionality

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffcphone

Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere.

As iPhone/iPod Touch users will know, National Rail's own idevice app costs a staggering five of your whole British pounds and whilst in my opinion very user friendly, easy to use and offering good functionality, the thought of paying a fiver for information generally available for free over the Internet doesn't sit comfortably with me. Nevertheless, I shelled out. I suspect many people share these views.

The live running information was always a cause of annoyance for us northerners as it never contained details of which platform a train was to leave from. I believe this wasn't necessarily limited to idevices.

Following recent upgrades to the live running info the website and idevice app will now provide platform info but in my experience only a few minutes prior to arrival. Thus the Euston crush still couldn't be avoided.

However CrossCountry offer a free app for idevices which offers similar functionality to the NRE's version and whilst it is nowhere near as intuitive or user friendly in my opinion it does seem to provide booked platform info for every train in the timetable, days, weeks or months in advance. Thus one might now be able to avoid the Euston crush knowing the platform your train should depart from before it is announced locally.

Obviously last minute changes can occur etc.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jamesontheroad

Established Member
I joined the iPhone set this week, and have been trying out both thetrainline's and CrossCountry's apps. I like the 'Next Train Home' button on the former a lot, but the CrossCountry one is definitely better. So far all its platform predictions have been correct, although of course not every service is supported yet. I'd like to play around with the NRE app some time; a free trial period might persuade some doubters of its value.

ukrob

Established Member
I joined the iPhone set this week, and have been trying out both thetrainline's and CrossCountry's apps. I like the 'Next Train Home' button on the former a lot, but the CrossCountry one is definitely better. So far all its platform predictions have been correct, although of course not every service is supported yet. I'd like to play around with the NRE app some time; a free trial period might persuade some doubters of its value.

Not sure prediction is the right word. It is the services booked platform which is displayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.