• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which retailers allow fee free refunds of walk up tickets without paperwork?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray1404

Established Member
I am wanting to book some walk up tickets and I want to do this in advance so I can get seat reservations on busy services. There is a chance however I might not make the journey and have to cancel. I do not want to be hit with a £10 administration fee. Are there any TOCs that allow fee free refunds?

However, are there any that will allow me to do this fully online (as I am not going to collect the tickets if I don't travel) without the need to send the tickets back (I won't have collected them) and without having to print any paperwork off.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iggy12a

The Southern website allows you to get a full refund on walk up fares, where the ticket has not been collected.

gray1404

Established Member
Is the refund automated or does Southern still need to phone you up for you to give them the card number before you receive the refund?

alistairlees

Established Member
Is the refund automated or does Southern still need to phone you up for you to give them the card number before you receive the refund?
If you buy from Southern they will already have your card details (partly masked and tokenised). You should just need to email. Certainly they won't want them again.

Iggy12a

If you buy from Southern they will already have your card details (partly masked and tokenised). You should just need to email. Certainly they won't want them again.
No need to email. You just click a refund button.

gray1404

Established Member
But does that prompt an automatic refund or do they still need to phone me to get my card details to be able to do the refund (this is what they have done formally)?

Iggy12a

But does that prompt an automatic refund or do they still need to phone me to get my card details to be able to do the refund (this is what they have done formally)?
It prompts an automatic refund.

alistairlees

Established Member
They have your card details so can refund to that.

gray1404

Established Member
Thanks, it looks like it is automated. Last time I did a refund (some years ago) with Southern someone phoned me to ask for my card details. I did a refund last year with TPE and they sent me an email asking me to call in with my card details for a refund to be issued.

Glad to hear Southern is fully automated now.

[.n]

Thanks, it looks like it is automated. Last time I did a refund (some years ago) with Southern someone phoned me to ask for my card details. I did a refund last year with TPE and they sent me an email asking me to call in with my card details for a refund to be issued.

Glad to hear Southern is fully automated now.
When, I have done this with Southern, the only time I needed to confirm my card details was for a season ticket refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.