• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which station can you see the train coming from furthest away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

caliwag

All very odd...surely if you have a straight track...ie East yorkshire, then that is furthest you'll see!...regarless of overbridges etc. OK it depends where you are standing (OP please define). Surely the curvature of the earth comes into play. I'm sure someone on here will make sense of the geometry of someone with eyes at 5 feet above platform...therefore 8 feet above rail level: the visibilty of a train roof on a straight stretch!!:|

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

David Goddard

Established Member
Northallerton is certainly in with a shout when looking North. Even at 125mph, you can watch a 91 or HST approaching for a good 2-3 minutes before it passes.

Huntingdon, also on the ECML, is very similar. You can see Southbound trains for a good few minutes (could see them even further away before they put the wires in, so I am told)

exile

Established Member
All very odd...surely if you have a straight track...ie East yorkshire, then that is furthest you'll see!...regarless of overbridges etc. OK it depends where you are standing (OP please define). Surely the curvature of the earth comes into play. I'm sure someone on here will make sense of the geometry of someone with eyes at 5 feet above platform...therefore 8 feet above rail level: the visibilty of a train roof on a straight stretch!!:|

You also have to factor in the relative heights above sea level.... ie you can see up a straight slope a lot farther than on a straight and level track....

LE Greys

Established Member
You also have to factor in the relative heights above sea level.... ie you can see up a straight slope a lot farther than on a straight and level track....

Assuming completely straight and level, eyes 9ft off the ground (average male with eyes at 5ft6 plus 3ft6 platform), it's about four miles.

mirodo

Er, I don't think this is quite what the OP had in mind. :roll:

I thought that the smiley face at the end of my post was sufficient indication that I wasn't being entirely serious...

Leyland (near Preston) has good visibility fom both directions, and is particuarly popular with photters and 'meeters'. A good location with a variety of traction (especially prior to 2003) passing at high speeds too.

Indeed I have one vivid recolection of a fairly old man launching a half eaten Hollands meat and tata pie at a passing delayed Virgin Voyager service - because it had delayed the following Steam excursion and he was going to miss the evening episode of 'Dads Army'. Must have been 8 years or so ago but i'l never forget that.

That could have been very dangerous - stupid man.

ReverendFozz

Quite a distance can be seen from Durham, Southbound trains can be seen from possibly 1 or 2 miles...

Also looking Northbound from Seaham, trains can be seen at quite a distance, again maybe a mile or two

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Little Sutton, Overpool, Ellesmere Port, Stanlow & Thornton and Ince & Elton all lie in a dead straight line. Unfortunately there are a couple of bridges along the route which obstruct views, and also a slight hump between Stanlow & Thornton and Ince & Elton.

From Little Sutton you can see the headlights of units parked at Ellesmere Port from where you can probably see trains at Stanlow (but not very often).

emoaconr

Two that come to mind for me are Bidston (Wesbound towards West Kirby) where you can easily see the train approaching for a good couple of miles through Moreton and Leasowe and Pontarddulais (Southbound towards Llanelli).

D6975

Established Member
Askam-in-Furness and Millom are a possibility - can you see across the estuary?
It's only about 3 miles as the fly crows.:D

About 10 miles by train.

And when you say 'see it coming' does it have to remain in view as it approaches. Examples like this one and across the Exe estuary wouldn't count as the train disappears from view for a significant period.

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
I'll give Runcorn a mention. Nowhere near the 4 miles mentioned previously, but you see the train bend around the corner before it passes over the Runcorn/Widnes a few few minutes before it arrives at the station (heading southbound)

Statto

Established Member
My local one is Bidston in Birkenhead, where to the west you can see trains over a mile and a half away. This is before they have even arrived at Moreton (Merseyside), which is two stations away. So it does take quite a long time to eventually arrive.

Ha, my local station is next Station down in Leasowe, where you can see trains just after they round the bend just beyond Moreton, & also see trains as the approach Bidston.

At Wallasey Village you can see trains at Wallasey Grove Road & vice versa.

At Huyton you can see Roby & vice versa.

Aictos

Established Member
How about Meldreth, you get a excellent view both northbound and southbound for a fair few miles!

ElveUK

The best I've experienced is Northallerton like Darandio. If you get a good spot on the platform you can see them from quite a good distance :). Doncaster is good also, as soon as they come round the banked corner you can see them nicely.

whhistle

On Moderation
Leicester (looking north).
You can see for a good few miles.

I suspect somewhere on the East Coast though, Peterborough maybe? I don't remember, been over 10 years since I was there.

Hydro

Established Member
How are the sightlines on Redhill–Tonbridge–Ashford (the original SER mainline)?

That's some of the straightest railway alignment I've seen. It's got to be easily 5 miles sighting in places.

When I was a lookout, we could see trains approaching Hedge End whilst working at Eastleigh South Jn. If you called the warning upon sighting the headlamps, you could be standing for a good 5 or 6 minutes before the train reached you.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
at port sunlight if you look in the chester direction you can see themotorway bridge crossing the railway after eastham rake which is about 4 miles and 3 stops

Essexman

Established Member
Not seeing but hearing. You can hear the southbound sleeper coming down the valley a long time before it stops at Pitlochry. I'm catching it next week and will time how long.

trc666

Winchester is another one, can see the trains from a good couple of miles out approaching from the London end.

Requeststop

Not exactly at the station, but, if you were sitting on St. Ives Harbour as I was yesterday on a glorious day, you can see the train on it's way from Lelant past Porthkidney Sands on its way to Carbis Bay before snaking its way to St. Ives. Just enough time for a brisk walk to the station to catch the return journey. Best way to see if your train is on time.

Also, journeying down to Truro on Mondays "Cornishman" it is possible to see over towards Exmouth and up the riverside from Dawlish Warren if your service is turning at Exeter St Davids to take you to Newton Abbott and beyond.

ex-railwayman

I was going to suggest Preston, which when looking south ran for a few miles in a straight line.

I could also say Beeston Station, facing east with a pair of binoculars you could see what used to leave Nottingham going north at Lenton Jct, as well as coming down towards Beeston, unsure how many trees get in the way nowadays though, and if you face west you can see right down beyond Attenborough Station, a good few miles away, it's a great stretch of track, you never miss anything.

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

Last edited:

vjm1975

Little Sutton, Overpool, Ellesmere Port, Stanlow & Thornton and Ince & Elton all lie in a dead straight line. Unfortunately there are a couple of bridges along the route which obstruct views, and also a slight hump between Stanlow & Thornton and Ince & Elton.

From Little Sutton you can see the headlights of units parked at Ellesmere Port from where you can probably see trains at Stanlow (but not very often).

Yup, from Ellesmere Port, can see the train just as it leaves Stanlow, 4 minute journey time. In the other direction, can see up to Little Sutton.

Also, from Hooton, if you stand on the unused platform which houses the station building and look towards the wirral, can seemingly see about as far as Spital, possibly Port Sunlight. Also able to make out two or three headlights from trains heading towards Hooton.

Toad

Minehead on the West Somerset Railway, you can see Dunster station, 1.5 miles away and about another 0.75 miles past that until the line drops away to Blue Anchor.

Scotrail84

Established Member
Not seeing but hearing. You can hear the southbound sleeper coming down the valley a long time before it stops at Pitlochry. I'm catching it next week and will time how long.

The unmistakable sound of the Mk2 seater coach and the brake van? :)

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Yup, from Ellesmere Port, can see the train just as it leaves Stanlow, 4 minute journey time. In the other direction, can see up to Little Sutton.

Also, from Hooton, if you stand on the unused platform which houses the station building and look towards the wirral, can seemingly see about as far as Spital, possibly Port Sunlight. Also able to make out two or three headlights from trains heading towards Hooton.

Yes I just literally got off the train 10 mins ago coming home from school and could see Little Sutton. Didn't check the Stanlow end though :(

Trog

Established Member
How about Cheddington you can see about 3.25 miles northwards to just north of Hospital Bridge, and southwards for about 2.25 miles into the south end of Tring cutting.
With four lines that adds up to 22 miles of track to admire.

Pen Mill

On the CLC line via Warrington Central, there are some long straight stretches. At Hunts Cross, you can sometimes see approaching headlights from trains that have just passed Hough Green, about 3 miles away.
On the Manchester side , you can see for a long way in either direction at Birchwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.