• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which stations should have a micropub?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

83G/84D

Established Member
Hartlepool and Doncaster both DO have micropubs on the station. Sampled them both and come highly recommended.

Gathursty

Established Member
I would have said Bentham but it would takeaway from the pubs on the main road.

Llandudno

Established Member
There's a quite pleasant pub about 3 minutes from Crewe if you go out of the main entrance and turn left. Warrington Bank Quay has a hotel directly opposite which has an OK public bar.
Crikey it’s going some to walk to the nearest decent pub (The British Lion?) in 3 minutes from Crewe Station, I would allow 10 minutes from the platforms to be on the safe side. The micropub a little bit further down Nantwich Road is far better.

I have not visited the Patten Arms opposite Warrington Bank Quay for a few years, have they got drinkable beer now?

I'm not sure we will be seeing many extra micropubs at stations for the foreseeable future. Micropubs do need a relative high density of people in a small place to be financially viable, and so station locations are likely to be doubly hit by social distancing, both within their premises, but also on the network too. I really hope that we don't lose too many

Purple Orange

On Moderation
I'm not sure we will be seeing many extra micropubs at stations for the foreseeable future. Micropubs do need a relative high density of people in a small place to be financially viable, and so station locations are likely to be doubly hit by social distancing, both within their premises, but also on the network too. I really hope that we don't lose too many

Social distancing won’t last forever. As a people, we are a social bunch and the days will return when people are shoulder to shoulder queuing three deep at a bar.

Whisky Papa

Are you old enough to remember the Coach & Horses? Sadly lost to Metrolink.

I am old enough to remember it, a remarkable place and probably the only free house in the city centre at the time I started drinking. At one time it had Saxon Cross from Winkle's of Buxton (or somewhere near), the first microbrewery beer I'd had that was actually drinkable.

However, it wasn't lost to Metrolink, although I believe it was originally supposed to have been. The tracks were eventually routed behind the pub, and the building survived for some years until the current office block was built. It was rumoured that one of the local CAMRA grandees had a hand in this change of route, but that may be just an urban myth. Unfortunately, it soon closed as a pub anyway, I seem to recall there were structural issues with the building that could not be rectified within a sensible budget - I might be able to find a date when I can gain access to my old Good Beer Guides which are in the attic.

One pub which was lost to Metrolink was the Castle & Falcon, roughly on the site of Shudehill stop, supposedly Manchester's oldest pub and owned by Burtonwood Brewery. There was a campaign to save it, sadly unsuccessful, as it would have given another option for Victoria travelllers. I used to use Sinclair's as a last stop before Sam Smith's took the cask beer out, since then it's usually either the Pilcrow, Turk's Head or the Crown & Anchor.

martinsh

Established Member
Crikey it’s going some to walk to the nearest decent pub (The British Lion?) in 3 minutes from Crewe Station, I would allow 10 minutes from the platforms to be on the safe side.
I would recommend the Brunswick rather than the British Lion these days. It's under new management and the beer selection is decent - just a shame about the clientele ...

The micropub a little bit further down Nantwich Road is far better.
No it's not. It's shut down (since February). May reopen under another guise but don't hold your breath.

Llandudno

Established Member
I would recommend the Brunswick rather than the British Lion these days. It's under new management and the beer selection is decent - just a shame about the clientele ...

No it's not. It's shut down (since February). May reopen under another guise but don't hold your breath.
Shame to hear that the micropub has closed down, always seemed quite popular on the few occasions I visited. Might have to try the Brunswick next time I have to change trains at Crewe, I normally try and change at Chester if possible as the range of pubs in the vicinity of the station is better - but a micropub at Chester Station would be a godsend!

Sheddyone

That's a shame, the Beer Dock was always my last port of call before getting the train home from Crewe. Their website says it's the Nantwich one that's closed, and the Crewe one has moved to the High St, but it's maybe not up to date.

P.S. (and O.T.) - good to see someone else who has heard of Colorblind James.

Llandudno

Established Member
That's a shame, the Beer Dock was always my last port of call before getting the train home from Crewe. Their website says it's the Nantwich one that's closed, and the Crewe one has moved to the High St, but it's maybe not up to date.

P.S. (and O.T.) - good to see someone else who has heard of Colorblind James.
Glad that it appears as though the Crewe micropub has relocated and not closed. High Street is a fair trek from the station and uphill coming back!

slipdigby

Oxenholme is another station with a really poor catering offering that, at least in summer, could probably make a better one wash its face because a lot of people change there and there's literally nothing anywhere near it. All you get is the "cafexpresshop" in the little hut and one of those coffee "tuk tuk" things.

I'd disagree ;)

https://www.davidwillan.co.uk/products/the-shop/ - out the back of the station.

http://stationinnoxenholme.co.uk/PP/ - out the back of the station, then 0.3 miles (7 mins)

slipdigby

The little coffee shop (Java?) is nice. And there’s a Greggs :D

The Pilcrow across Corporation Street is pricey and its opening hours are hit and miss even in normal times, but I really like it; particularly if the weather permits sitting outside and admiring some extremely high quality architecture from the first 2/3 of the 20th century.

Application has been in to convert the unit opposite M&S in Victoria to another branch of the Tap group (Waterloo, Euston, Piccadilly) for a while now. Not seen much movement on site yet though (nor will I in the immediate future given the current situation I suspect).

I believe that the plan is for the Pilcrow to vacate the current site at some point in 2020/21 to allow for the further redevelopment of Sadler's Yard. Last I heard was that the intention was to move the concept elsewhere within the estate, however given the circumstances already alluded to and the fact that the Common & Co group are also supposed to be opening a further venue close to Piccadilly may mean that this plan is put on ice.

martinsh

Established Member
Glad that it appears as though the Crewe micropub has relocated and not closed. High Street is a fair trek from the station and uphill coming back!
NO ! The whole chain closed down suddenly in February due to the ill health of the proprietor. [ Macclesfield and Leek branches were franchises so are continuing under new names ]

Llandudno

Established Member
Llandudno Junction would be even better!
This would be a decent location for a micropub, the privately run cafe on the station platform has closed down and is for let.

A micropub in the station frontage might be better as it would be accessible to non rail users. The beer offering in Llandudno Junction’s two other pubs is pretty dire, everyone goes to Conwy or Llandudno itself for a decent pint.

Revaulx

I am old enough to remember it, a remarkable place and probably the only free house in the city centre at the time I started drinking. At one time it had Saxon Cross from Winkle's of Buxton (or somewhere near), the first microbrewery beer I'd had that was actually drinkable.
So it did. I was reminiscing about it only last week; apparently it closed when the brewery got overrun with rats. A great beer.

However, it wasn't lost to Metrolink, although I believe it was originally supposed to have been. The tracks were eventually routed behind the pub, and the building survived for some years until the current office block was built. It was rumoured that one of the local CAMRA grandees had a hand in this change of route, but that may be just an urban myth. Unfortunately, it soon closed as a pub anyway, I seem to recall there were structural issues with the building that could not be rectified within a sensible budget - I might be able to find a date when I can gain access to my old Good Beer Guides which are in the attic.
I’d forgotten that. I think I’d moved to Saddleworth by then and become a Victoria user. It must have closed at pretty much the same time as Metrolink opened though.

One pub which was lost to Metrolink was the Castle & Falcon, roughly on the site of Shudehill stop, supposedly Manchester's oldest pub and owned by Burtonwood Brewery. There was a campaign to save it, sadly unsuccessful, as it would have given another option for Victoria travelllers. I used to use Sinclair's as a last stop before Sam Smith's took the cask beer out, since then it's usually either the Pilcrow, Turk's Head or the Crown & Anchor.
I went in once, just before it closed. The beer was decent (Burtonwood another sad loss) but the pub was not in the same league as the Coach & Horses. Sinclairs has nasty beer and staff that make you feel like a criminal. The Pilcrow’s opening times aren’t very reliable and it’s rather expensive but staff and beer are great, and the view of architectural delights when sitting outside is probably the best in Manchester.

Of course the best interior architectural delights would be the buffet at Victoria, if only it wasn’t crap. They do seem to have been cleaning the roof of the dome though.

Revaulx

Application has been in to convert the unit opposite M&S in Victoria to another branch of the Tap group (Waterloo, Euston, Piccadilly) for a while now. Not seen much movement on site yet though (nor will I in the immediate future given the current situation I suspect).

I believe that the plan is for the Pilcrow to vacate the current site at some point in 2020/21 to allow for the further redevelopment of Sadler's Yard. Last I heard was that the intention was to move the concept elsewhere within the estate, however given the circumstances already alluded to and the fact that the Common & Co group are also supposed to be opening a further venue close to Piccadilly may mean that this plan is put on ice.
Oh that’s interesting. The Pilcrow was obviously never intended to be permanent, but I hope a good amount of Sadler’s Yard stays as open space.

I can’t stand the original Common. The contrast between their surly, conceited staff and the knowledgeable, helpful ones at their other establishments Pilcrow and Port Street couldn’t be greater.

A Tap at Vic would obviously be great, but the proper buffet selling decent beer and food would be even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.