• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which TOC Gets My Money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envoy

Established Member
Looking to buy a Bristol Temple Meads to Plymouth return for today, I see that I can pay £55 return and use either the 8.44 Cross Country departure from Bristol or the 9.13 FGW and any train back. What I would like to know is that when two operators operate on the same route, how do they know which train I am on with such a ticket and who would get the revenue?

Furthermore, I see that by buying a BRI > TAU return for £19.90 plus a TAU > PLY return for £18, I can do the same trip for £37.90 thus saving £17.10 whilst using the same trains. So, who would get this revenue and why do we have to constantly double check for split ticket options?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Around 10% of the revenue is given to the seller as commission (it varies according to seller). The remaining revenue from a ticket sale is split using a process called ORCATS. No-one on this forum has been able to determine the exact figures, but a percentage is attributed to each company for which the ticket is valid, based on things like frequency, number of changes required, journey time, etc.

The split would be valid on those trains, but remember that on the return your journey must include a train that calls at Taunton.

You don't have to check for splits, but obviously in quite a few cases it can save you money. There is a website that will do some spliting for you, but where is the fun in that?:lol:

Fares are not mileage based (that is a near impossible task), but mostly set according to market forces (and whatever the setting company can get away with), so splits become inevitable.

Envoy

Established Member
Many thanks for rapid response. It seems to me that with these tickets, they would not know which TOC's trains I was actually being conveyed.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Can passengers use ORCATS when stopped by revenue staff?

I can only let you have a fraction of my excuse, because most of it has to go to another TOC? :)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I know you're joking but I feel it's important to point out that revenue allocation does not in any way determine validity.

And even if your ticket isn't valid on - or wasn't being used for travel by - a particular TOC, if they are authorised by the TOC you are using to handle revenue matters, then you still have to comply with them.

For example, EC might not get any revenue from a Huntington - Peterborough Season plus a Huntingdon - London Day Return, yet the combination is valid on a non-stop EC service.

A ticket might not be valid for travel on SWT, and you might not have stepped foot in a SWT train, but SWT could still issue a Penalty Fare to a Southern customer at, say, Clapham Junction, if Southern have authorised SWT to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.