• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which train am I going to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordan1163

Hi,
I am heading on holiday to Newcastle soon and I have a question regarding trans pennine express trains and routing. I intend on getting a train from Newcastle to Edinburgh on tpe from Liverpool lime street to Edinburgh. I was looking on real time trains and it was displaying the train as a pathed class 80x. To my knowledge and research this is a variant of the class 800’s (excuse me if I’m wrong and please correct me if I am). My question, is it guaranteed providing there are no delays or disruptions this is what type of train it will be? To my knowledge they are fairly new trains and I would love to get on one. Any comments welcome.

thanks, Jordan

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bevan Price

Established Member
Hi,
I am heading on holiday to Newcastle soon and I have a question regarding trans pennine express trains and routing. I intend on getting a train from Newcastle to Edinburgh on tpe from Liverpool lime street to Edinburgh. I was looking on real time trains and it was displaying the train as a pathed class 80x. To my knowledge and research this is a variant of the class 800’s (excuse me if I’m wrong and please correct me if I am). My question, is it guaranteed providing there are no delays or disruptions this is what type of train it will be? To my knowledge they are fairly new trains and I would love to get on one. Any comments welcome.

thanks, Jordan
If it actually turns up - and there are a lot of TPE cancellations, it should be a Class 802 bi-mode train.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Welcome to the forum :)
I was looking on real time trains and it was displaying the train as a pathed class 80x.
This pathing information from the open data (used by sites such as Open Train Times etc) is a timing load. It does not necessarily indicate the booked traction.
... is it guaranteed providing there are no delays or disruptions this is what type of train it will be?
There are no guarantees the train will run at all; certainly nothing can be guaranteed regarding the train type.

If you can say what date/time the train is, some people may be in a position to give an informed answer regarding what is likely.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I believe through services to Edinburgh via Newcastle are all diagrmmed 802s, but this means next to nothing during the current period of quite significant disruption following the introduction of new rolling stock and timetables. As others have noted, you shouldn't be surprised to find your train cancelled entirely.

Jordan1163

I am not heading away until April I probably should have stated that at the start. Would the service be better by then? Also when are all the 802’s supposed to be in service by? If they are not already and will they purely be running the Liverpool to Edinburgh route or will there be some class 185’s there too.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm sure things will be better by April.

We do have a thread for discussing the progress of the class 802 delivery so you may find some answers there.

Status
Not open for further replies.