• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which train company responsible for onward travel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blinkbonny

Oh dear. Sorted out my niece with a split ticket Cardiff to Edinburgh (via Trainsplit), but now of course I'm worried if it all goes wrong.

Supposing her TFW train gets into Manchester (due 14.13) too late for her to catch her 14.26 Cross-Country to Edinburgh. Who is responsible for her onward travel?

She should get the next Cross Country service presumably (2 hour wait and probably heaving!), but it would be TFW that delayed her. Shouldn't they be responsible for arranging her on the next available service?

Also what's the chances of her encountering somebody who might tell her she needs to buy a new ticket?

Beginning to wish I'd kept my big mouth shut! :s

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
XC don’t operate north from Manchester. You need to check what you’ve really planned...

_toommm_

Established Member
To be honest I suspect she won't get onward travel from Manchester. If she's going direct from Manchester it'll be TransPennine Express for the 14:26, and I can say categorically they won't hold it.

If she does get stuck, it may be worth getting your niece to speak to the guard before boarding as they may unofficially allow her on another train, although that cant be guaranteed, and as it's not the last train on the day, she may just have to wait unfortunately

Llanigraham

Established Member
Might also be worth her getting the TfW guard to annotate her ticket that they were delayed.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
The situation here is no different than it would be if you hadn't split tickets, so I think the issue of split tickets may be a bit of a red herring!

cactustwirly

Established Member
To be honest I suspect she won't get onward travel from Manchester. If she's going direct from Manchester it'll be TransPennine Express for the 14:26, and I can say categorically they won't hold it.

If she does get stuck, it may be worth getting your niece to speak to the guard before boarding as they may unofficially allow her on another train, although that cant be guaranteed, and as it's not the last train on the day, she may just have to wait unfortunately

TPE have to carry her on the next available service, that's their legal obligation
However it might be worth speaking to someone in Manchester to get the ticket endorsed to travel a different route (to avoid the 2 hour wait)

JBuchananGB

Make sure she knows that she has to get to platform 14 at Manchester. If you have booked an Advance on TPE then I think her only option will be to wait 2 hours. Delay Repay would be applicable, claimed from TfW for the whole journey.

_toommm_

Established Member
TPE have to carry her on the next available service, that's their legal obligation
However it might be worth speaking to someone in Manchester to get the ticket endorsed to travel a different route (to avoid the 2 hour wait)

Sorry, I didn't word it correctly. I meant to say alternate travel, as in being made to wait 2 hours, as opposed to being stranded....

JBuchananGB

The next available connection from Manchester to Edinburgh is the 1447 Northern service to Preston, connecting to a Virgin train to Edinburgh arriving 1821. If the ticket is TPE only it isn't valid on those trains. As others have said, maybe someone at Manchester could endorse it to be valid, because it was the late arrival of the train from Cardiff which caused the situation. Let's hope it doesn't happen. You niece should be ready to move smartish to platform 14 as soon as she arrives.

kieron

Established Member
Just for clarity, the advice here is for if you have bought a "TPE only" advance ticket from Manchester to Edinburgh. If you've actually bought something else, your niece would have different options if her train was late into Manchester.

Llanigraham

Established Member
Sorry, I didn't word it correctly. I meant to say alternate travel, as in being made to wait 2 hours, as opposed to being stranded....

My understanding is no, as she has not been "stranded", just that she has to wait a station with full and adequate facilities for the next TPE train. If it was the last of the day then the situation would be different.

Blinkbonny

Thanks. Of course I meant TPE not Cross-Country. And it is their advance ticket she would hold.

So many ifs and buts, I do wish I'd kept my nose out. Let's just hope it goes ok.

Or there again she may consider a free journey to be worth a two hour delay. Though no doubt such a claim would bring its own complications!

button_boxer

Established Member
If she’s not familiar with Manchester Piccadilly it’s worth mentioning to her that the fastest route from any of the low numbered platforms over to 14 (where the TP will depart from) is to use the footbridge half way down the platforms - don’t follow the crowd to the buffer stops end, look for the stairs to the footbridge, which the train may have passed on the way in.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
In this case, it would be TfW who have to organise onward travel, where no rail alternative is available (so for example, last train of the day missed, it's down to TfW to taxi, hotel or whatever they do)

In this case, it'll be await next service

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
In this case, it would be TfW who have to organise onward travel, where no rail alternative is available (so for example, last train of the day missed, it's down to TfW to taxi, hotel or whatever they do)

In this case, it'll be await next service
NRCoT 28.2 says:
Where disruption prevents you from completing the journey for which your ticket is valid and is being used, any Train Company will, where it reasonably can, provide you with alternative means of travel to your destination, or if necessary provide overnight accommodation for you.
So whilst TfW might be the ones liable for delay compensation if they have caused the journey to become delayed, any company in a position to assist is obliged to do so. There is certainly no shortage of TOCs serving Manchester Piccadilly that could assist in this situation.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
NRCoT 28.2 says:

So whilst TfW might be the ones liable for delay compensation if they have caused the journey to become delayed, any company in a position to assist is obliged to do so. There is certainly no shortage of TOCs serving Manchester Piccadilly that could assist in this situation.
Indeed, although what would happen is TPE/Northern/Virgin would assist, but TfW would be booking and paying for it. If any of the TOC staff rang their control, they'd be told to call TfW

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Indeed, although what would happen is TPE/Northern/Virgin would assist, but TfW would be booking and paying for it. If any of the TOC staff rang their control, they'd be told to call TfW
Whilst that may be the practical position for all intents and purposes, any behind-the-scenes messing about is not of the passenger's concern and does not eliminate the TOCs' legal liabilities to the passenger.

Blinkbonny

Many thanks for all responses to this (especially for the footbridge tip from button_boxer, which is going to prove useful in any event). I now have a clearer understanding of where she stands. i.e. her legal entitlement is on the next TPE train two hours later - though there is a chance that some kind person may endorse her for an alternative route. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.