Which train would this be?

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by bennorthyork, 24 Nov 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bennorthyork

bennorthyork Member

I read this quote on someones facebook wall this morning and was wondering which train would be the 3am mail train. Does anyone know: "...caught a train to Reading last night but fell asleep and ended up in Wales! There were no more trains but the guards took pity and let him catch the 3am mail train back to his destination..."

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
    could just be an expression like "the milk train" or the "newspaper train" which my dad always uses to describe trains at stupid o'clock in the morning ( they come form a time when such trains ran)

4. bignosemac

bignosemac Established Member

Someone on Facebook is telling porkies I fear. No mail trains from South Wales and haven't been any for years.

5. David Dunning

David Dunning Member

Generally there is always some truth in what people say about their experiences, however they don't always get their facts right . But in this case you could depart London Paddington on the 2245 To Swansea fall asleep and miss the Reading stop wake up in Wales any time after midnight. Then get one of the four Swansea to London trains that depart before six am (In the past they would be known as Milk trains) and arrive back at Reading in time for breakfast,

Now convert that information into what people who aren't interested in Railways would say and you have .. Fell asleep on the last train to Reading , ended up in Wales , nice Guard let me come back on the Milk train . Which I would say is perfectly possible although the only milk will be in little pots in first class .

6. LexyBoy

LexyBoy Established Member Fares Advisor

I reckon it would be the 0357 service from Swansea. As others have said, "mail train" is a fairly common (especially amongst the older generation) term for the first/last trains.

Must be a reasonably common occurrence, although still impressive to fall asleep on that train - usually busy, fairly lairy and the lighting often seems to be switched from "bright" to "staring into the sun" level.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.