• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which tramways have you used?

Which tramway networks have you travelled on?

• Birmingham West Midlands Metro

Votes: 249 42.3%
  • Blackpool Tramway

Votes: 339 57.6%
  • Croydon Tramlink

Votes: 307 52.1%
  • Manchester Metrolink

Votes: 421 71.5%
  • Nottingham Express Transit

Votes: 265 45.0%
  • Sheffield Supertram

Votes: 304 51.6%
  • Crich Tramway

Votes: 184 31.2%
  • Heaton Park Tramway

Votes: 53 9.0%
  • Seaton Tramway

Votes: 107 18.2%
  • Wirral Tramway

Votes: 54 9.2%
  • Cliff Tramways: please tell which ones in the comments (includes Shipley Glen).

Votes: 127 21.6%
  • Museum Trams: such as Beamish or Black Country Living Musuem.

Votes: 203 34.5%
  • A now defunct tramway: please tell which networks in the comments.

Votes: 20 3.4%
  • Douglas (Isle of Man)

Votes: 98 16.6%
  • Edinburgh (Scotland)

Votes: 253 43.0%
  • Great Orme (Wales)

Votes: 150 25.5%
  • Amsterdam (Holland)

Votes: 175 29.7%
  • Dublin (Ireland)

Votes: 137 23.3%
  • One or more not on the list: please tell which tram networks in the comments.

Votes: 147 25.0%
  • Docklands Light Railway (included as some consider it's vehicles as trams)

Votes: 427 72.5%

• Total voters

Galvanize

Funiculars I’ve done:
UK
Hastings (both West and East Hills…the West Hill which runs mainly in a Tunnel was often closed when I visited Hastings as a kid…either for Renovations or it had broken down!)
Southend Cliff Lift (if that counts!)
Bridgnorth
Centre for Alternative Technology near Machynlleth in Wales (used to love watching the water gushing out at the bottom when I was a kid!)
Aberystwyth
Babbacombe

Mainland Europe:
Sacre Cour in Paris
Polybahn and Seilbahn rigibach in Zurich
MarzilliBahn in Bern
All three Funiculars in Lisbon
Guindais in Porto
Petrin in Prague
Castle Hill in Buda
Kyiv

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lloyds siding

Cliff railway: Centre for Alternative Technology (Machynlleth)
Defunct tramways: I'm reliably informed that I was taken on the Liverpool trams as a child (but I don't remember that, but I do remember the tracks and wires being in place).

alex397

Established Member
I’ve certainly visited far more tramways on the continent than in the UK.

In the UK I’ve been to is the Croydon Tramlink. A great system, and very popular too. The only tram system in the south east, so the only one easily accessible for me.
I’ve also managed to travel on the entire Edinburgh Trams system (ok, it’s just one line).
I’ve also been to Seaton, which is an excellent tourist attraction.

In continental Europe, I’ve been to the following by country:
Austria: Vienna and Innsbruck. Innsbruck not only has its local trams (including the very scenic line 6), but also the Stubaitalbahn serving rural areas to the south of the city - certainly a contrast to the Croydon Tramlink :D
Belgium: Antwerp, Brussels, Ghent and the superb Kusttram (world’s longest tramway of course)
Croatia: Zagreb, including the funicular.
Czechia: Brno and Prague

Germany: Berlin, Bonn, Cologne, Düsseldorf, Frankfurt, Leipzig, Mainz, Potsdam.
Hungary: Budapest, including the rack railway and funicular.
Latvia: Riga (some of the best preserved Tatra T3s I’ve seen!)
Poland: Krakow and Warsaw
Serbia: Belgrade
Slovakia: Bratislava

Last edited:

stut

Established Member
Oh, quite a few, I think.

UK: Blackpool, Nottingham, Sheffield, Birmingham, Croydon, Manchester, Edinburgh, Beamish
Ireland: Dublin
France: Paris, Strasbourg, Bordeaux, Mulhouse, Lille/Roubaix/Tourcoing, Nice
Belgium: Brussels, Antwerp, Ghent
Netherlands: Amsterdam, The Hague, Rotterdam
Germany: Bremen, Berlin, Karlsruhe, Freiburg, Heidelberg, Potsdam, Frankfurt, Hannover, Cologne, Dresden
Spain: Soller, Bilbao, Barcelona, Alicante, Valencia
Portugal: Lisbon, Porto
Italy: Rome, Milan
Switzerland: Basel, Bern, Geneva, Lausanne, Zurich
Austria: Graz, Innsbruck, Vienna, Baden bei Wien
Norway: Oslo
Sweden: Stockholm
Finland: Helsinki
Estonia: Tallinn
Latvia: Riga
Poland: Warsaw, Krakow
Czechia: Prague
Hungary: Budapest
Slovakia: Bratislava
Slovenia: Ljubljana
Croatia: Zagreb
Bosnia: Sarajevo
Romania: Bucharest, Timisoara
Turkey: Istanbul
Russia: Moscow, St Petersburg, Pyatigorsk

Canada: Toronto
USA: Boston, Newark, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Baltimore

India: Kolkata
China: Hong Kong
Japan: Kyoto, Okayama, Hiroshima

Australia: Melbourne, Adelaide

stut

Established Member
Are you sure about this one? It closed in 1958. If so, it must have been fascinating exploring this part of Europe in that era!

No, you're quite right, I've checked and I'd misremembered. I first visited Ljubljana mid-90s (also a fascinating time for that part of Europe) and stayed at a campsite on the outskirts of town. In fact, it was a heavy rail service I'd used to get there, but the image of the station - no platforms, just a sign by the track - stayed in my head and I'd mentally filed it under tramway!

341o2

Established Member
Outwith the above, I have used the following:

France
Nantes
Grenoble
Lille
Marseille
Strasbourg
Mulhouse
Saint-Étienne
Germany
Düsseldorf
Köln
Frankfurt
Karlsruhe
Berlin

Czech Republic
Praha
Italy
Milano
Torino
Roma

Switzerland
Zürich
Belgium
Gent
Kusttram
Antwerpen
Brussel/Bruxelles
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Den Haag
Amsterdam
Utrecht
Austria
Innsbruck
Wien

I was going to mention Marseille, a visit in the 80's when only line 68 operated, using a tunnel to access the city centre, it was retained for this reason.

The modern system opened in 2007.

Other Belgian/Dutch systems, Kustram, Antwerp, Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Ghent (which also had a trolleybus line, opened in the 80's and closed some 20 years later, Brussels, especially line 24 to Teurvuren, which was once a railway, the tram runs on reserved track through woodland

Lisbon, again in the 80's, line 15 used to run to Cruz Quebrada, there were clerestory roofed trams resembling 1920 US streetcars, and another batch of four wheeled cars towed a trailer. Also the use of trolley poles as apart from the pantograph or bow collector. Some of the hills negotiated by the trams are really steep, line 12 was once a cable car route, and there are a couple of locations where a signalman is employed as the road is so narrow that the tracks are interlaced to avoid collisions

cadder toad

Museum trams - Summerlee
Other trams - Riga
Tourist tram in New Orleans - which sounded just like a Class 303 because of the air compressor.
Leipzig too

Last edited:

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Porto
Barcelona
München
Berlin
Budapest
Prague
Olomouc
Brno
Rouen
Köln
Bonn
Frankfurt
Hamburg
Stuttgart
Düsseldorf
Dortmund
Bruxelles
Kusttram Ostend to De Panne
Gent
Antwerp
Amsterdam (only once I think and a very short journey)
Charleroi (more like a Metro to the airport I appreciate)
Wien
Bratislava
Geneva
Zürich
Bern
Basel
Paris
Bordeaux
Marseille

Could be more I can't think of at this early hour.

Bevan Price

Established Member
UK (closed)
Glasgow (return trip from city centre to stop near Dawsholm shed)
Liverpool (single run, Prescot to Liverpool, when I was very little and persuaded my mother to use the tram instead of the bus, which was faster)

Overseas (those that I remember)

Linz, Vienna (Austria)
Trondheim (Norway)

Saw numerous others, but usually no opportunity / time to use them on organised rail trips.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I’ve done all the track on every ‘Public transport’ (ie. not including heritage/leisure systems) Tramways in the UK, with the exception of:
- the third side of the triangle in Sheffield that goes direct from the railway station avoiding the city centre,
- Sheffield Tram-train connecting chord, and
- Trafford Park line of Manchester Metrolink

cool110

Looks like I'm the 1st to claim Southport pier.
Also have:
  • Blackpool
  • Manchester
  • Edinburgh
  • Beamish
  • Scarborough central

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Looks like I'm the 1st to claim Southport pier.
Also have:
I knew I missed something, I should have added pier tramways as an option, there are a few others around (Hythe and Southend might be considered railways), I once travelled on a Blackpool pier tram that no longer exists.

I knew I missed something, I should have added pier tramways as an option, there are a few others around (Hythe and Southend might be considered railways), I once travelled on a Blackpool pier tram that no longer exists.
Cue lots of jokes about Wigan pier tramway.

Western 52

Sadly the preserved Mumbles Tram that ended up in Leeds at the Middleton Railway was destroyed in a fire. Nice tram car builds by the look of them.
So none are left. :(
They were built around 1928 by Brush I believe. A front section of one car survives in the tram shed museum in Swansea.

SLTRegular

Melbourne Routes 1/3/3a/5/8/11/12/16/35/36/59/64/70/70 Mcg Shuttle/70 Australian Open Shuttle/72/78/86/96/109/112 (Not done 30/48/57/58/64 Fully Yet) i did a 75 shuttle to the Etihad now Marvel using 2078 but can't remember if it was a 70/75 Extra / Formula One shuttle but unsure what the route number was and didn't leave the tram on arrival.
Sydney Routes L1/2/3
Adelaide All
Newcastle All
Manchester Metrolink All
Amsterdam All
Blackpool
Gold Coast Glink
Sheffield Supertram All
Stuttgart All
Prague Some but to drunk to remember

Pakenhamtrain

Melbourne Routes 1/3/3a/5/8/11/12/16/35/36/59/64/70/70 Mcg Shuttle/70 Australian Open Shuttle/72/78/86/96/109/112 (Not done 30/48/57/58/64 Fully Yet) i did a 75 shuttle to the Etihad now Marvel using 2078 but can't remember if it was a 70/75 Extra / Formula One shuttle but unsure what the route number was and didn't leave the tram on arrival.
Formula 1 shuttles aren't allocated a number.
From memory they don't normally have 70/75 extras to Marvel stadium. Normally they put on extra 30s or 86s.

rf_ioliver

In the UK, none.

In the rest of the world: Strasbourg (1999, first time on a tram), Helsinki (extensively), Stockholm, Oslo, Paris, Milan, Lisbon, Genoble, Nice, San Francsico, Boston, Hannover, Freiburg im Bresgau, Zurich, Lyon

Seattle and SanJose/VTA if you consider these trams and not light rail.

Missed out on Trondheim's tram, but it went nowhere near to where we wanted to go. I guess the next one to the list will be Tampere

Graham S

Mumbles railway pre 1960..
Ostend
FUNICULARS:-
Bridgenorth.
Aberystwyth.
Lynton and Lynmouth.
Saltburn.
Hastings.
Babbacombe

Western 52

Back in 1980 I travelled on a steeply graded tram from the centre of Oslo to Holmenkollen (may not have spelt that correctly). It was not really a funicular, but used very elderly wooden bodied trams with fittings for skis on the outside. I'm not sure if that route still operates, but it was wonderful!

bussikuski179

Helsinki (nearly every day)
Tampere (including the first official service)
Stockholm (Spårväg City)
Tallinn
Málaga (officially metro but the vehicles are trams)
Seville

SLTRegular

Formula 1 shuttles aren't allocated a number.
From memory they don't normally have 70/75 extras to Marvel stadium. Normally they put on extra 30s or 86s.
There was definetely extra 75s for the Big bash Stars v Gades at MCG in 2017 actually may have been 2018 New Years day? The Extra for Marvel was in Feb 2014 for a NAB challenge AFL preseason game i'll see if i can dig out my old HTC one with the pic of the Extra to Marvel i did get a photo of it (i just went to drink at Marvel as it was a free ticket) I've actually never seen extra 30's but i have seen the mentioned 86 Extras

One that isn't on the list: Bielefeld. I lived there as a teenager and used the trams to get from my house to the city centre. It was brilliant and I miss living somewhere with trams.

Bielefeld is quite unique in having a full-fat Stadtbahn system that is narrow gauge. The tracks are 1 metre.

I'm a fan of the sheer amount of light rail in German cities. They really kept and modernised their tram systems rather than scrapping them like we did. They had a great formula in the 70s and 80s - keep the outer tram sections, move the city centre sections from street level into tunnels, and you've got a system with increased capacity and fewer delays that you can call a Stadtbahn (town railway) instead of Strassenbahn (street railway).

Even cities the size of Aberdeen or Preston would have 3 or 4 tram lines in Germany.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
One that isn't on the list: Bielefeld. I lived there as a teenager and used the trams to get from my house to the city centre. It was brilliant and I miss living somewhere with trams.

Bielefeld is quite unique in having a full-fat Stadtbahn system that is narrow gauge. The tracks are 1 metre.

I'm a fan of the sheer amount of light rail in German cities. They really kept and modernised their tram systems rather than scrapping them like we did. They had a great formula in the 70s and 80s - keep the outer tram sections, move the city centre sections from street level into tunnels, and you've got a system with increased capacity and fewer delays that you can call a Stadtbahn (town railway) instead of Strassenbahn (street railway).

Even cities the size of Aberdeen or Preston would have 3 or 4 tram lines in Germany.
Preston might be getting one line in the near future.