• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which UK Parliamentary Constituencies have the most stations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbtc

Veteran Member
To avoid disrupting the other thread into semantics about the boundaries of towns (and whether a political administrative area is the same as a town etc)...

...I though we could have a similar debate based on Westminster parliamentary constituencies (since the 2010 boundaries are clearly defined, and each one should have roughly* the same number of people in it - therefore we can cover the whole UK).

Also, I wonder how many of the 650 have no railway station?

(yes, there are some discrepancies in size, they aren't all exactly 70,000)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Scotty

My local is Boston and Skegness, and we have 7 (Boston, Hubbert's Bridge, Swineshead, Thorpe Culvert, Wainfleet, Havenhouse and Skegness) for 70,620 people.

Badger

Wolverhampton North-West and South-West (I think that's right. It's the top two anyway, the one which doesn't have Wolverhampton station in it) have none even though both have prominent lines through them.

cuccir

Established Member
First, to confuse things, England and Wales will have new constituencies for the next general election!

Some of the rural constituencies in the North of England will have loads; I suspect the same is true for the South-West, Wales and Scotland. Copeland has 12 I think, Westmorland and Lonsdale has 11 or 12 (unsure of where Dent lies!)

Gathursty

Established Member
Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross has at least 22 stations (not sure about Garve)

Ross, Skye and Lochaber has about 28 if I've got the borders right.

transmanche

Established Member
IIRC; until 2010, Newcastle upon Tyne Central had no railway stations and no railway track - other than T&W Metro.

(Newcastle station was located in the Tyne Bridge constituency, which was abolished in 2010 - and the area around the station was transferred to Newcastle upon Tyne Central.)

cuccir

Established Member
IIRC; until 2010, Newcastle upon Tyne Central had no railway stations and no railway track - other than T&W Metro.

(Newcastle station was located in the Tyne Bridge constituency, which was abolished in 2010 - and the area around the station was transferred to Newcastle upon Tyne Central.)

I suspect the metro means that a few on Tyne and Wear won't have them. I reckon that the following all have no station:

North Tyneside
Houghton and Sunderland South
Washington and Sunderland West
South Shields
Tynemouth
Newcastle upon Tyne North
Jarrow

and probably Newcastle upon Tyne East, depending on where Manors falls.

pemma

Veteran Member
I think Tatton has 9:

Knutsford
Plumley
Lostock Gralam
Mobberley
Ashley
Alderley Edge
Wilmslow
Handforth
Chelford

Ivo

Established Member
Something to go on:

The smallest Constituency is Na h-Eileanan an Iar (i.e. the Western Isles) with less than 22,000 in the electorate; second is Orkney and Shetland at roughly 34,000. Obviously neither of those will have any stations. By contrast, the largest is the Isle of Wight as has already been mentioned, with over 110,000.

Looking deeper than that though, things get interesting. The largest "standard" Constituency is East Ham, which has just one NR station in its boundary by my reckoning (I may be wrong of course) - Manor Park; the smallest is Arfon, which has an InterCity service available at Bangor.

Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross and Ross, Skye and Lochaber, already mentioned, have roughly 100,000 voters between them...

I would estimate that roughly one-in-four has no station at all.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
To confuse matters even more, In Wales the Assembly Constituency will remain as now, the Parliamentary ones will change.

Due to its large population over a small area, the new Wrexham Constituency will only have 3 stations as now.

So in future , I will vote in Wrexham for Parliament(Stations Wrexham General/Central & Gwersyllt & Clwyd South for the Assembly(stations Ruabon & Chirk)

I consult Westminster about 3 and Cardiff for the other two, I will have voted for all five station areas, Politics gone bananas, welcome to Wales TBTC

Last edited:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Cities of London and Westminster must be a favourite, surely? Has all the ones previously identified for the City of London, plus everything in the southern half of The City of Westminster (so certainly Charing Cross, possibly Victoria)

pmgarvey

Cities of London and Westminster has 6 in the city itself (Liverpool Street, Fenchurch Street, Cannon Street, City Thameslink, Blackfriars and Moorgate) plus Paddington, Charing Cross and Victoria in the Westminster section for 9?

Though I'm just using Google Maps and the desription on Wikipedia of the constituency.

transmanche

Established Member
Cities of London and Westminster must be a favourite, surely? Has all the ones previously identified for the City of London, plus everything in the southern half of The City of Westminster (so certainly Charing Cross, possibly Victoria)
Victoria is in the City of Westminster - as are Paddington and Marylebone.

Mole Valley constituency (in Surrey) has 13!

Leatherhead; Box Hill and Westhumble; Dorking; Holmwood; Ockley.
Gomshall; Dorking West; Dorking Deepdene; Betchworth.
Clandon; Horsley; Effingham Junction; Bookham.

PR1Berske

Established Member
First, to confuse things, England and Wales will have new constituencies for the next general election!

Some of the rural constituencies in the North of England will have loads; I suspect the same is true for the South-West, Wales and Scotland. Copeland has 12 I think, Westmorland and Lonsdale has 11 or 12 (unsure of where Dent lies!)

The whole country, not just England and Wales, is subject to the on-going boundary review

(and it's a process that members of the public can still get involved with)

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Victoria is in the City of Westminster - as are Paddington and Marylebone.

Yes, but the parliamentary constituency of The Cities of London and Westminster (in the current UK parliament- lets leave out the discussion of the boundary reviews past and future please!) only includes the southern half of the City of Westminster.

Lampshade

Established Member
Stalybridge and Hyde has quite a few:

Stalybridge, Flowery Field, Newton for Hyde, Godley, Hattersley, Broadbottom, Hyde North and Hyde Central.

ModChod

Ludlow has 7 Mainline - Ludlow, Craven Arms, Church Stretton, Broome, Hopton Heath, Bucknell and Knighton (although the town is in Wales, the station is in Shropshire) and 4 on the Severn Valley Railway (Bridgnorth, Hampton Loade, Country Park and Highley), although that might be cheating seen as how it is a heritage line. Although the line does terminate at Kidderminster, so it is possible to jump on a mainline train here.

johnnychips

Established Member
Stalybridge and Hyde has quite a few:

Stalybridge, Flowery Field, Newton for Hyde, Godley, Hattersley, Broadbottom, Hyde North and Hyde Central.

At one time the constituency extended to Mossley as well, but I'm not sure if it still does.

EDIT: It does.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.