• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which union is more appropriate RMT,TSSA or even ASLEF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CatfordCat

I don't work for LU, so not sure I'm entirely right -

From a legal perspective, you have the right to join any union you like - and also the right not to join any union (you also have the right to opt out of any 'political fund' the union may operate. some unions have a political fund which is affiliated to the labour party, some may affiliate to other parties, some have a non affiliated political fund and campaign on issues rather than for a particular party)

There are however certain benefits to joining a union that is formally 'recognised' by the employer for the job you're in. (one employer may recognise multiple unions, albeit for different jobs - although there can be some overlap - I'm aware that the underground has both RMT and ASLEF train operators)

From what I'm aware, I'd have thought that RMT is the main union for station staff such as CSA's both on the underground and the main line TOCs.

ASLEF tends mainly towards train drivers (although I understand that they were also recognised for guards when guards still existed on the underground)

TSSA as the name suggests is more 'salaried' staff - although ticket office staff and senior station staff may well be within their scope.

There may also be engineering unions who are recognised for appropriate jobs.

Is this enquiry from the perspective of being about to start a job? If so, your terms & conditions of employment document ought to say whether there are recognised unions for the job and if so who they are.

Recognised union/s will also have notice boards up at workplaces and will probably tell you who their local rep/s are. Some reps are more active than others at approaching new members of staff.

plastictaffy

RMT. ASLE&F is drivers only, and TSSA is a two bit all talk no action union, that caters for managers.
Just an opinion.
If you're starting on TFL, one of the reps will be round and tell you to "sign here, it's only 18 quid a month for your protection". That's how it was when I joined my TOC.

Last edited:

causton

Established Member
It can depend on station! One ex-conductor I know who moved to stations swears by TSSA as does everyone at his station, but everyone here further down the line is RMT.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
RMT. ASLE&F is drivers only, and TSSA is a two bit all talk no action union, that caters for managers.

hang on - i object to the two bit. They had to sell one as they are skint! ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It can depend on station! One ex-conductor I know who moved to stations swears by TSSA as does everyone at his station, but everyone here further down the line is RMT.

it often depends on the quality and activity of your local reps.

6Gman

Established Member

TSSA is a key part of the tripartite structure of the railway trades unions. ASLEF represent the drivers, RMT the Guards, and TSSA carry the biscuits at meetings.

Seaeagle

ASLE&F is not drivers only, it is open for anyone in the drivers line of promotion, there is also a supervisors branch, so a CSA could join ASLE&F. Personally what I did was when I was on the stations I belonged to the NUR as the RMT use to be called and when I went train side i joined ASLE&F.

Tubeboy

The bulk of unionised station staff on LU is the RMT. As one I recommend them. TSSA have done very little about the current ticket office dispute. Some TSSA members have left and joined the RMT.

a729

I don't work for LU, so not sure I'm entirely right -

From a legal perspective, you have the right to join any union you like - and also the right not to join any union (you also have the right to opt out of any 'political fund' the union may operate. some unions have a political fund which is affiliated to the labour party, some may affiliate to other parties, some have a non affiliated political fund and campaign on issues rather than for a particular party)

There are however certain benefits to joining a union that is formally 'recognised' by the employer for the job you're in. (one employer may recognise multiple unions, albeit for different jobs - although there can be some overlap - I'm aware that the underground has both RMT and ASLEF train operators)

From what I'm aware, I'd have thought that RMT is the main union for station staff such as CSA's both on the underground and the main line TOCs.

ASLEF tends mainly towards train drivers (although I understand that they were also recognised for guards when guards still existed on the underground)

TSSA as the name suggests is more 'salaried' staff - although ticket office staff and senior station staff may well be within their scope.

There may also be engineering unions who are recognised for appropriate jobs.

Is this enquiry from the perspective of being about to start a job? If so, your terms & conditions of employment document ought to say whether there are recognised unions for the job and if so who they are.

Recognised union/s will also have notice boards up at workplaces and will probably tell you who their local rep/s are. Some reps are more active than others at approaching new members of staff.

I ask as someone in the process of becoming a CSA

plastictaffy

TSSA is a key part of the tripartite structure of the railway trades unions. ASLEF represent the drivers, RMT the Guards, and TSSA carry the biscuits at meetings.

Most seem to be of the same opinion as me about TSSA then......
No surprises there!!
ASLE&F is not drivers only, it is open for anyone in the drivers line of promotion, there is also a supervisors branch, so a CSA could join ASLE&F. Personally what I did was when I was on the stations I belonged to the NUR as the RMT use to be called and when I went train side i joined ASLE&F.

I stand corrected. I was of the impression it was for pilots only. Sorry!!

notadriver

Established Member
Most seem to be of the same opinion as me about TSSA then......

No surprises there!!

I stand corrected. I was of the impression it was for pilots only. Sorry!!

As far as main line trains are concerned, ASLEF is for drivers only or trainee drivers. I get confused with LUL grades. There seem to be so many grades that can drive their trains.

whhistle

On Moderation
A work colleague was in the RMT.
They bullied loads of others into joining citing they would "fight if the company wanted to sack you".
The person subsequently was dismissed for over 20 different reasons.

What a waste of money they paid to the RMT.

Others here may suggest a Union is what gives you a pay rise every year. That's simply not true. No pay rise = sad staff = bad company rep.
The problem is, the railway is full of an older generation who will always vote Labour, will always insist on joining a Union and who will never change.

However, you do (usually) get a nice diary for joining!

455driver

Veteran Member
They bullied loads of others into joining citing they would "fight if the company wanted to sack you".

Others here may suggest a Union is what gives you a pay rise every year. That's simply not true. No pay rise = sad staff = bad company rep.
The problem is, the railway is full of an older generation (yes) who will always vote Labour (Nope), will always insist on joining a Union (yep)and who will never change (nope).

Just go it alone and see how long you last!

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
I was RMT when I was in the stations grades and moved to ASLEF when I started driving. Union membership with my company is 99% ASLEF so made no sense to stay RMT really.

Jim123

I'v been a CSA for 4 months now and joined RMT because that's what everybody else is part of and made no sense to me to join another one.

What I will say though is that i've found them to be pretty non-existent presence wise. Not one of them has made any effort with me as a new member of staff and any reps i've come across have come across as surly and unapproachable. Not to mention a bunch of scruff bags. Sorry, but if i'm paying money for people to represent me then at least have a wash and a shave. Just my opinion that's all.

a729

I'v been a CSA for 4 months now and joined RMT because that's what everybody else is part of and made no sense to me to join another one.

What I will say though is that i've found them to be pretty non-existent presence wise. Not one of them has made any effort with me as a new member of staff and any reps i've come across have come across as surly and unapproachable. Not to mention a bunch of scruff bags. Sorry, but if i'm paying money for people to represent me then at least have a wash and a shave. Just my opinion that's all.

So you aren't even approached by a rep when there's a stike ballot?!

Also what about the person that signed you up?

Is is possible whichever group of stations you are based at has poor reps? Why don't you raise your your concerns with someone in RMT higher up in RMT's hierarchy?

I ask as someone who's never been in a job where there is a union!

About appearance doesn't LU have strict codes about that sort of thing?!

The problem is, the railway is full of an older generation who will always vote Labour, will always insist on joining a Union and who will never change.

Concerning pay rises, isn't true that many if not most employers have been given staff below pay rises (if at all) that are below the pace of inflation for about 7 years! Of course noting that average pay rises have just about reached the rate of inflation!

Heavily unionised industries along with company directors/managers(who in many cases set their own pay!) have been the main exception to declining pay in real terms.

Last edited:

Jim123

So you aren't even approached by a rep when there's a stike ballot?!

Also what about the person that signed you up?

Is is possible whichever group of stations you are based at has poor reps? Why don't you raise your your concerns with someone in RMT higher up in RMT's hierarchy?

I ask as someone who's never been in a job where there is a union!

About appearance doesn't LU have strict codes about that sort of thing?!

Concerning pay rises, isn't true that many if not most employers have been given staff below pay rises (if at all) that are below the pace of inflation for about 7 years! Of course noting that pay rises have just about reached the rate of inflation!

Re strike ballot - nope

Re rep who visited us to sign us up at our induction, he had a manky pair of jeans on and a 'who' t-shirt.

To be honest, i don't think it would make a massive amount of difference if i did say something. The general consensus is that where certain reps are concerned it's a case of eye rolling and tutting.

a729

Re strike ballot - nope

Re rep who visited us to sign us up at our induction, he had a manky pair of jeans on and a 'who' t-shirt.

To be honest, i don't think it would make a massive amount of difference if i did say something. The general consensus is that where certain reps are concerned it's a case of eye rolling and tutting.

Could that explain the low (similar to mayoral/general election) voter turnout for stike ballots?

I hope I get a good rep lol!

It's a shame that apathy abounds. Surely if many people complained RMT would have to replace those reps or give them more training or something? Apathy allows our politicians to get away with so much as well lol!

Tubeboy

If you join the RMT try and attend the monthly branch meetings. They are a source of great help and information. It also allows you to meet the Rep.

TheVicLine

ASLEF is drivers only.
TSSA was practically non existent on LU when I was there and it was mainly for management grades.
RMT is very strong on Lu and has a very high percentage of members.

If you are going to join a union as a CSA on LU it is a no brainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.