• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which way's Dat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HR2

I see a lot of you youngsters are now using LUL [American] terminology for line directions. I.E. 'Northbound, eastbound' etc. What happened to traditional main line terms like 'Up and Down'?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Course not. Up to London, Down away from London, Up to the companys Headquarters, Down from the companys Headquarters, Up to the Main Line, Down to the end of the Branch Line.

It's entirely simple, until you get to the point where what is termed the up line by one peice of official documention is termed the down line by another.

England knows best!

T

Tom

The NLL should be termed inner rail and outer rail, as I get awfully confused on there!

H

HR2

Tom said:
The NLL should be termed inner rail and outer rail, as I get awfully confused on there!

The NLL WAS once termed in that fashion

Sprinter

Some announcements on NLL stations you get instead of the usual platform 1 or 2, you get "The eastbound platform for the...."

Tom, you will get awfully confused at Rochford then, where the information posters say: Northbound: Southend; Southbound: Rayleigh, Shenfield, London. This is because I believe "one" use the term "north" to describe "from London" and south for "to London". So upon leaving Southend Vic even though you are geographically heading north you are actaully heading south!

H

HR2

Sprinter said:
Some announcements on NLL stations you get instead of the usual platform 1 or 2, you get "The eastbound platform for the...."

Tom, you will get awfully confused at Rochford then, where the information posters say: Northbound: Southend; Southbound: Rayleigh, Shenfield, London. This is because I believe "one" use the term "north" to describe "from London" and south for "to London". So upon leaving Southend Vic even though you are geographically heading north you are actaully heading south!

'ONE' has got it all confoozled then. Since when have Shenfield and places east been NORTH of London. They are all EAST of the Capital.

Status
Not open for further replies.