• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which were the largest settlements in Great Britain never to have had a station on the national rail network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nw1

Established Member
In the heyday of railway building Waterlooville as we know it today didn’t really exist.

I remember that coming up in a previous thread. But even if it had been bigger in the mid 1800s, the topology isn’t ideal. I suspect there were always going to be a few places on a “far too difficult” list...

I guess it could have had a loop line branching off at Rowlands Castle and rejoining at Havant if it had been anything like its current size. That would (I think) have fairly easy-to-deal-with topography.

Stotfold in Beds which I mentioned in post #47.

Remarkable that I've been on this planet a good while and there's a place in England, and the southern half of England as well, with almost 10,000 population which I had never heard of up to today!

Most of my knowledge of English place names was gained by looking at road atlases in the late 70s, early 80s, so maybe Stotfold is a late-developing 'new town' which barely existed back then? More locally I know Whiteley, Hants (another candidate? though walking distance from Swanwick) only really grew in population around the late 80s, and if I'd lived 100 miles from it I may not have heard of it even today.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Glenfield

Erskine is probably the biggest in Scotland - approx. 15k population but nearest stations are Bishopton or Old Kilpatrick - both much smaller and with OK across the Erskine Bridge!

Would Canvey Island count as a town/settlement?

Last edited:

matchmaker

Established Member
Sadly, it was the site of a railway collision on 13 October 1928, which resulted in a significant number of deaths, many due to the subsequent fire.
Two of the deceased were sadly two young children, who were never identified and are buried in an unmarked grave in Charfield churchyard.

Gloster

Established Member
Two of the deceased were sadly two young children, who were never identified and are buried in an unmarked grave in Charfield churchyard.
This has often been repeated, but it is very likely not true. A brother and sister were travelling on the train, but he was uninjured and she was only slightly injured. There is a small possibility that another child travelling separately on the train may have died, but it is only a very small possibility. The problem was that there was a highly destructive fire and there was very little of some bodies left; the number of dead was never fully determined, even if a number was given. (From memory as I can’t get at my books, but I am fairly sure that my memory is accurate.)

There was a plan announced several years ago on the front page of the Dunoon Observer that there were plans to building line from Dunoon northwards along the shores of Loch Eck, taking the Rest and be Thankful and then connecting to the rest of the rail network. Redundant TGV sets were to used too!

Please note the date at the top of the page on the archive...

I have read that news article the other week and unfortunately that really was an April Fool joke.

Dunoon Observer had stated that the line would be built in two years and would have a floating track on Loch Eck that was tried in Japan, and four redundant prototype TGV sets would be used for the new service.

Does the redundant 1977-built prototype TGV train sets really exist? The fact was that there was a prototype TGV train set built in 1972 which was a gas turbine unit and that train consisted of two power units and three carriages.

And as for a floating track that floats on the surface of the water, it does not exist, not even in Japan. It would simply not support the overall weight of any train. The loading gauge would have also been a factor, having TGV train sets being used continental Europe.

In short, doing all of that such work would have been absolutely impossible.

Last edited:

Dr_Paul

Established Member
I have read that news article the other week and unfortunately that really was an April Fool joke. Dunoon Observer had stated that the line would be built in two years and would have a floating track on Loch Eck that was tried in Japan, and four redundant prototype TGV sets would be used for the new service. Does the redundant 1977-built prototype TGV train sets really exist? The fact was that there was a prototype TGV train set built in 1972 which was a gas turbine unit and that train consisted of two power units and three carriages. And as for a floating track that floats on the surface of the water, it does not exist, not even in Japan. It would simply not support the overall weight of any train. The loading gauge would have also been a factor, having TGV train sets being used continental Europe. In short, doing all of that such work would have been absolutely impossible.
Unfortunately, the page is unobtainable now; I would have liked to have seen that. I wonder how many people took this April Fool tale seriously.

MP33

I read a book where the Charfield accident was described and the two unidentified children. The author said that he met the Coroner who told him that it was never confirmed. In the words of the Coroner the fire was so intense they could have used a matchbox as the coffin for the remains of some of the victims.

WesternBiker

I read a book where the Charfield accident was described and the two unidentified children. The author said that he met the Coroner who told him that it was never confirmed. In the words of the Coroner the fire was so intense they could have used a matchbox as the coffin for the remains of some of the victims.
This has often been repeated, but it is very likely not true. A brother and sister were travelling on the train, but he was uninjured and she was only slightly injured. There is a small possibility that another child travelling separately on the train may have died, but it is only a very small possibility. The problem was that there was a highly destructive fire and there was very little of some bodies left; the number of dead was never fully determined, even if a number was given. (From memory as I can’t get at my books, but I am fairly sure that my memory is accurate.)

The story is contained in LTC Rolt's "Red for danger" (p248 on my 1976 edition), and repeated in this article below. Towards the end is the potentially more prosaic answer - they were simply gathered up human remains and not necessarily children. The grave simply says "two unidentified" - and the local legends sound pretty typical "people have told me...". The speculation at the end about the casue is just that: the driver and fireman claimed the distant signal was showing clear and the damage meant it could not be proven otherwise, but it most likely that they simply over-ran the signals.

The horrific railway disaster and the 93-year mystery about its victims.
It’s been almost 100 years since a horrifying railway disaster traumatised a sleepy village less than 20 miles from Bristol. The collision of three trains and the fiery explosion it caused in Charfield became a national tragedy when it took place on this day in 1928. As the years passed however, the tragic event and the mysteries surrounding it has continued to capture the imagination of those living in the area. Scandalous rumours concerning the identity of two young victims, a mysterious woman in black and numerous conspiracy theories means the crash has lingered in residents' memories for generations.

The disaster unfolded on October 13, as the Leeds to Bristol night mail train made its way through the morning fog. For reasons never properly understood, the train hurtled past a red signal in Charfield and the 60 passengers on board found themselves seconds away from catastrophe. Their train suddenly slammed into a goods train still on the line and then veered off the rails into a third empty train, igniting gas cylinders hung beneath the front carriages of the mail train. A raging inferno soon consumed the wreckage of the trains, claiming the lives of 16 people despite frantic efforts to save them.

Alan Hamilton, an author and editor who has been intrigued by the Charfield disaster for decades, said there were scenes of chaos as residents and emergency services rushed to the scene. “When the impact happened all the connections to the gas tanks ruptured and what you effectively got was a bomb,” he said. “All it took was sparks from the collision, maybe fires from the engines, and the whole thing went up. “The passengers at the front of the train were burnt beyond recognition. One was thrown out of the coach, over the bridge and into the road. He died in hospital. “You can imagine when the rescuers began to search the wreckage they found only charred remnants.”

According to Bristol Times writer Eugene Byrne, the nearby Railway Tavern pub was quickly transformed into a makeshift hospital and morgue in the aftermath of the crash. “Some people described flames as high as 30 or 40 feet because of the gas canisters," he said. "It was horrible - a lot of people were badly burnt beyond recognition. "The pub was used as a hospital - they had large tables and lots of space, and also brandy for medical use."

In the following days, news articles were filled with tragic and horrifying stories. A story in The Times from November 5, 1928 tells of a Bradford engineer, a passenger on the train, who heard his fiancée next to him scream before being thrown out of the carriage himself due to the force of the collision. An article in the Bath and Wilts Chronicle and Herald from the day reads: "The scene was one of horror. Mingling with the cries and moans of the injured was the hissing of steam and the crackling of flames."

Tragically, the bodies of two young children were among the remains discovered in the burning wreckage of the trains. However, despite nationwide publicity, no one ever came forward and claimed the remains. Charfield residents were therefore forced to bury the children in a common grave at one of the village’s churches, which lists them as ‘Two Unknowns’. Decades later and many unanswered questions still surround these two young victims. Who were they? Why were they on the train alone? Why does nobody know who they are? The mystery deepened when a woman dressed in black began reportedly visiting the grave every year on the anniversary of the crash from the 1930s until the 1950s. Legend has it she laid flowers and prayed by the side of the grave.

The identity of the two children and this mysterious woman in black is still the subject of much speculation among Charfield’s residents, many of who claimed to have seen her or know someone who has. "People have told me there was a widow in black who used to visit the grave in a Rolls Royce," Marshall Huxley, the new landlord of the Railway Tavern pub said. Julie Tarrott, a cook at the pub, said her mother used to see the mysterious woman in black visit the grave every year. "She never saw the face because she had a veil on," she said. "They used to think it was someone from royalty because the licence plate was covered up."

Alan Hamilton has also considered the theory the Charfield disaster may have a royal link but is not entirely convinced. "The theories range from the idea these kids were related to royalty or illegitimate royalty to the idea they were two rough sleeping kids who happened to be buried in the wreckage," he said. Eugene Byrne said the two unknowns and reported sightings of the woman in black has inspired many other legends - some more outlandish than others. "The two children are one of the enduring mysteries of this accident," he said. "This woman visited on the anniversary on the crash, laid flowers and prayed at the grave. "After the 1950s she stopped visiting. The implication is that she was the mother of these two children but we don't know. "The fact the woman in black is very wealthy is what drives a lot of these theories. The most outlandish theory was that they were actually two ventriloquist dummies. Another suggestion is that they were two particularly small jockies." However, there may be a more macabre answer to this unsolved mystery. "A local carpenter said the two small coffins were not children but human remains that could not be fixed to any recognisable person," Eugene said.

The fact there may have never been two children after all hasn't stopped the folklore and conspiracy theories to thrive over the decades. Many of them focus on train driver Henry Aldington. He was blamed for the crash, with a jury unanimously finding him negligent in passing signals when at danger. He was committed for trial at Gloucestershire Assizes on a charge of manslaughter but the case did not proceed and he was discharged. The fact the train driver walked free further fueled rumours of foul play and speculation among residents that the disaster was a cover-up. "The other mystery is how on earth did this train go through the signal at danger," Alan Hamilton explains. "It was stated there was fog but they didn't put out fog warnings. "My theory is they saw what they wanted to see and they were hurrying. In those days, drivers were often penalised for being late. "It was a dreadful mistake." Whatever the truth, the tragic disaster has endured in the memories of those living in Charfield and will likely to continue to do so for decades to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.