• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which you think is the loudest multiple unit in the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmh

Established Member
From my house I can hear, and recognise, Voyagers approaching Conwy bridge, but never hear the other types that go by (150/153/158/175)

Happily I quite like the sound.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

delt1c

Established Member
OK not units and no longer on the Network but the Roares 85"s took some beating when pulling away. If we include diesel loco's then the Deltics , deafining when leaving the Cross and even when idling at Finsbury Park could clearly be heard at Stamford Hill. On Historic DMU's the Cravens 105's couldnt be beaten when travelling in a Motor Car. Between the Engines, exhausts and every internal object ratling

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I have to say, a 150 tends to sound louder to me. But I'm going to say a Network Turbo might actually be louder still.
I can't really understand the appeal in the sound of a Sprinter though. To me it's just a constant nasty rumble which makes it imposssible to have a journey in peace and quiet.

156s are local to me so I go off that.

If I wanted the quiet road to Edinburgh I'd go from Queen Street, but I used to enjoy a 156 on the semi-fast via Shotts.

It seems I just like Sprinter thrash and the noise doesn't bother me! I have to say that even with the windows open I've never found it excessively loud or intrusive but it is of course much noisier than a 158 or 170.

py_megapixel

Established Member
156s are local to me so I go off that.

If I wanted the quiet road to Edinburgh I'd go from Queen Street, but I used to enjoy a 156 on the semi-fast via Shotts.

It seems I just like Sprinter thrash and the noise doesn't bother me! I have to say that even with the windows open I've never found it excessively loud or intrusive but it is of course much noisier than a 158 or 170.
Admittedly I do tend to me more sensitive to noisy environments than others. That said I certainly wouldn't consider any multiple unit currently in service (except perhaps a Pacer) to be instrusively loud from inside, and loco hauled stock can be pretty loud outside but it's luxuriously quiet inside the carriages thanks to the lack of noisy underfloor engines!

Speed43125

Relating to commentary in a different thread, I wonder how the AT300s compare in terms of lineside noise with the Pendolini (which are very quiet) … is there somewhere that this can be measured already, with the two running at the same speed, or does it have to wait until Avanti have some AT300s?
Presumably you mean at 125? then nothing at the moment, going between Edinburgh and Glasgow they share trackage I suppose, but again, nowhere near 125.

Bevan Price

Established Member
There are free sound meter apps available for smart phones if anyone wants to measure sound levels themselves. Whilst some may not be 100% accurate, they ought to be able to get comparisons between different trains. Unfortunately lockdown has stopped me doing a full comparison myself.

Speed43125

I find the 170s seem to be the loudest simply traveling along, from the outside. I live by the track and you can tell exactly if it's the HSTs, 170s or 158s passing by. Those 43s under load are of course loudest, but in the cruise (at only around 75 mph admittedly), the 170s are the loudest from outside, you can easily tell if there's a 170+158 combo, the sprinters are so much quieter on the rails.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
Loudest DMU from the outside is 170s - they make a right racket when going past my house (especially when their fan is howling). When inside a train the Turbostars are quite quiet however - 153s and 156s are the noisiest out of the lot I've been on.

Loudest EMU is definitely the 321 hands down.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Admittedly I do tend to me more sensitive to noisy environments than others. That said I certainly wouldn't consider any multiple unit currently in service (except perhaps a Pacer) to be instrusively loud from inside, and loco hauled stock can be pretty loud outside but it's luxuriously quiet inside the carriages thanks to the lack of noisy underfloor engines!

Sealed - ie air-conditioned units are of course quieter, the loudest to my ears are those where in the summer cooling is by opening the windows, quite understandably that raises the volume somewhat!

Loco-hauled I would say is dependant on the same issue, a Mk3 at 125 would be much quieter than a Mk2a at 100 with the windows ventilators all open.

Evolution

I’d have to say either the class 185 or class 180, both are loud when at full power. Coincidentally, they share the same engine.

route101

Established Member
DHMU/DMMU: 156 and I love them for it! ;)
DEMU - Voyager, you can feel the throb across Central station when one of them pulls away
EMU - 318/320 with the windows open :lol:

Speaking of the Voyager , it seems to me they are quieter than i remember them in the early days. Seem derated now as they leave Central. Maybe its just me.

A class 185 at Glasgow Central , i could tell one was in the station , when i was at Gordon St Entrance.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Speaking of the Voyager , it seems to me they are quieter than i remember them in the early days. Seem derated now as they leave Central. Maybe its just me.

A class 185 at Glasgow Central , i could tell one was in the station , when i was at Gordon St Entrance.

Voyager engines have been derated, down 50hp for some years now.

GLC

Not the fault of the units themselves, but a ride on the Glasgow Subway can be deafening at times with the tight tunnels. I do think 385s, are much louder than I would have expected for such a new unit. There’s a point during acceleration/braking, where there’s an audible change in tone, almost like it had changed gears. It’s around that time they seem very noisy

365 Networker

EMU - 365, especially if the dynamic brakes are working as the cooling fan is very loud. Also, a 317 at 100 mph is very loud
DMU - Sprinters - mainly the brake squeal or if it departs on notch 7 (full power) or possibly a pacer crossing over points.

RichJF

As for EMUs, probably a 319. The sound probably isn't actually that loud, but it really carries, so it feels noisy.
Not to mention the doors banging when you pass something at speed!

Try sitting near the motors when they're screaming at 100mph!!!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Not the fault of the units themselves, but a ride on the Glasgow Subway can be deafening at times with the tight tunnels.

I think the new stock is supposed to at least partially address that issue, probably just as well - at times you can barely hear yourself think on the Subway!

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Noisiest DMU from my point of view, 185. Centre cabs of a 6 car with the windows open when you enter Standedge tunnel...

Noisiest EMU, 4-REP when sat above the motors

Noisiest loco, well anything with an EE engine in it. Think 37 is the clear winner there followed by the 50.

In all cases this is noise you WANT to hear! XD

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
The loudest noise known to man is a Pacer going round a sharp curve. Even louder than one ploughing into Lime Street buffers!

py_megapixel

Established Member
The loudest noise known to man is a Pacer going round a sharp curve.
I definitely agree with you there.

Incidentally (and I think I said something along this lines earily) bonus points if said bend is located close to a major junction and you can feel every single bump as you rattle over the points. Then you reach your destination with not only sore ears but also a sore back.

The Pacers may have had character and might have been interesting to enthusiasts... but I'm glad they're gone. (or, at least, going).

delticdave

Noisiest DMU from my point of view, 185. Centre cabs of a 6 car with the windows open when you enter Standedge tunnel...

Noisiest EMU, 4-REP when sat above the motors

Noisiest loco, well anything with an EE engine in it. Think 37 is the clear winner there followed by the 50.

In all cases this is noise you WANT to hear! XD
Would you include a class 40 or a Deltic, re. noise levels?
The 52's weren't terribly quiet either.....

Back to emus' the 1930 ex Norwich - Liv. Street was usually 3 x 321's, & they had to be thrashed to keep time. riding in the motor-coach with all the windows open at 100 mph was an experience..... To get back to Chelmsford I had to change to 2 x 360's at Colchester, much quieter, & quicker too.

route101

Established Member
Remember the class 365s with windows open 2 years ago from Edinburgh, very noisy, mor ethe track and points i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.