• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Whitby services suspended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ploughman

Established Member
From the NYMR Website.

Due to a hole appearing in the trackbed, all train services between Grosmont and Whitby are currently cancelled. Network Rail advise that they are aiming to have the line repaired and open again on Tuesday morning, but meanwhile, for Monday, there will be a replacement bus service in operation on the NYMR. Bus timings are largely in line with our red timetable, but any passengers planning to travel on the 0915 ex Grosmont, or the 1800 ex Whitby, do need to make special arrangements with us in advance please. Further updates will be posted as soon as information becomes available. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
From Nat Rail enquiries
Emergency engineering work at Ruswarp means trains cannot run between Sleights and Whitby. This is expected to continue until the end of service on Monday 2 May 2016.

Road transport has been requested to operate but availability is limited due to events in the area and road blocks in place.

Passengers at Sleights are advised to wait for the road closures to be lifted in order to get a coach to the outskirts of Whitby or make their own arrangements.

Road transport is unable to depart Whitby until at least 18:00.
You can follow this incident using the hashtag #Ruswarp

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
A hole has appeared in the trackbed. Network Rail are looking into it.

HowardGWR

Established Member
I keep thinking this is going to be about the Ordsall Chord! Let's hope his 'services' keep suspended, or better still, dispensed with!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
In the end if there is a big event on they'll lose a load of money if they don't operate, and in the circumstances plenty of people would probably still cough up for a ride on a classic bus.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
First time a preserved railway has put on replacement buses?

Certainly not. The KWVR has used replacement buses for the first round trip of the DMU before on the saturdays following possessions, even managing to use a heritage bus on some occasions. We operated them when the police closed the line due to an incident a few years ago (incident nothing to do with the KWVR). We also use them when the Civil works are too large to be completed in 5 days and their is partial working on the Weekend.

I am sure others have managed it.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Certainly not. The KWVR has used replacement buses for the first round trip of the DMU before on the saturdays following possessions, even managing to use a heritage bus on some occasions. We operated them when the police closed the line due to an incident a few years ago (incident nothing to do with the KWVR). We also use them when the Civil works are too large to be completed in 5 days and their is partial working on the Weekend.

I am sure others have managed it.

I'm pretty sure the West Somerset has used heritage buses a few times when there's been works on.

Haywain

Veteran Member
First time a preserved railway has put on replacement buses?
Nope! I've encountered a replacement bus on the NYMR, also between Grosmont and Whitby. I think it was something to do with a gas leak or similar. The bus was not a vintage example - it was a school bus with 3+2 seating and not much leg room. However, the hill it used to leave Grosmont was quite impressively steep!

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Thanks all... I couldn't think of a time this happened, so I was curious - pleased to know that preserved lines have indeed used them

Status
Not open for further replies.